The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
vjallen75
Posts in topic: 8

OWB Holster

Post by vjallen75 »

Hello all,

I maybe opening up Pandora's box by asking this question.

I took my LTC class in January of this year finally. Sent my app to the dps and I was all in on 3/3/16. Still waiting patiently for my license to be mailed.

In the mean time, I bought a 578 GLS OWB Holster (w Paddle) from SaraiLand. I like the holster so far walking around the house. Maybe I'm selfconcious about it but I feel like everyone can tell I'm carrying.

Any other suggestions for an OWB Holster for a newbie or should I use this one more once I can carry outside and see if I like it before I go buying other holsters.

FYI I plan on CC most of the time and very rarely OC.

Thanks in advance for your input. Everyone stay safe out there.

God bless.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Steve
Posts in topic: 2

Re: OWB Holster

Post by Steve »

I was gifted a HF2 Belt Holster dressed to the nines from Tucker Gun Leather that I really like. Beautiful holster but it's not cheap. I am a fan of good leather holsters for OWB as I think they look nicer and when I'm going OWB I prefer something nicer looking.

For IWB I prefer hybrid leather/kydex holsters. Comp-Tac's MTAC holster has been my favorite IWB holster thus far. Been using the MTAC holster for my Khar K9 for 7 years, liked it so much I also got one for my Glock 19. For my 1911 I have Tucker's The Answer which is also good, but a bit more expensive. The Answer can be leather lined, which is more gentle to a gun's finish, if you care about that. I wanted to baby my 1911 so that's why I didn't just get another MTAC for it.

Topic author
vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Steve wrote:I was gifted a HF2 Belt Holster dressed to the nines from Tucker Gun Leather that I really like. Beautiful holster but it's not cheap. I am a fan of good leather holsters for OWB as I think they look nicer and when I'm going OWB I prefer something nicer looking.

For IWB I prefer hybrid leather/kydex holsters. Comp-Tac's MTAC holster has been my favorite IWB holster thus far. Been using the MTAC holster for my Khar K9 for 7 years, liked it so much I also got one for my Glock 19. For my 1911 I have Tucker's The Answer which is also good, but a bit more expensive. The Answer can be leather lined, which is more gentle to a gun's finish, if you care about that. I wanted to baby my 1911 so that's why I didn't just get another MTAC for it.
Thanks for your input Steve it's much appreciated.

I actually looked into getting one of those for my gun. I have a FNS-9mm.

I wasn't sure how it would feel being IWB. For some reason it doesn't look like it would be all that comfortable. May try that out if the OWB one I have now doesn't work out for me.
Vence
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Deitz83
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deitz83 »

I agree with Steve on the Tucker or Tucker & Byrd makes a similar product with a shorter wait. Ross Gun in South Africa makes a good OWB at a great price. As for IWB; I am more partial to Garrett Industries. I just like the leather lined kydex products. The Crossbreed type holsters are great. However, I can't stand the sweat they generate in the summer. Good luck....

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

FWIW, I think you should wait until you can go out in public and see everyone's non-reaction. Almost everyone new to concealed carry went through the, "OMG everyone can tell" stage. It usually fades pretty quickly.

I recently bought a 7TS from Safariland for a Glock 21SF with a mounted TLR-1 light. I've been carrying it around for at least a month now and nothing, nada, zip. No reactions from anyone and no police swat teams have shown up to prone me out and disarm me while they figure anything out. That's a full size double stack .45 brick with a light attached. It's a big holster and still nothing.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Isn't there a waist size difference in your trousers between IWB and OWB?

There sure is in my case. Pants that fit without an IWB can't be fastened with a holster IWB in place. Of course, if you always use OWB, no worries.

If you are going to go back and forth, you likely will need two wardrobes.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

JALLEN wrote:Isn't there a waist size difference in your trousers between IWB and OWB?

There sure is in my case. Pants that fit without an IWB can't be fastened with a holster IWB in place. Of course, if you always use OWB, no worries.

If you are going to go back and forth, you likely will need two wardrobes.
For IWB carry, most holster makers suggest getting a belt two inches longer than your normal belt size.
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I use the DeSantis scabbard with a thumbbreak. It holds my S&W M&P 9 high and tight it covers with just an untucked shirt. I OC on a regular basis with it and it is very comfortable. I used to worry about someone noticing my CC gun but since almost no one even notices when I OC, it's not an issue.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

majorr

Post by majorr »

I think I'll purchase that one of those holsters that the OP showed. I currently have a couple DM Bullard OWB Bodyguard holsters and I really enjoy them. They are leather and very well crafted.
bodyguard.jpg
bodyguard.jpg (6.42 KiB) Viewed 3611 times

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Thanks everyone for the replies.

It seems like there are a lot of choices to look at. I think I will just wait like c-dub said and go out in public, when I can carry, and go from there.

I didn't think I would like leather OWB holsters but those look ok. How is the tension on leather holsters? Are they ok? On the holsters with a thumb break is that just something you get used to doing through practice. Seems like it would be a pain to get it out of the holster with that.

Mine has a tension release lever, works well so far walking around the house. I can easily get the gun up and ready and it holds the gun in place and doesn't move much. Which is my biggest concern with leather holsters.

Thanks again everyone for their responses.
Vence

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

vjallen75 wrote:I didn't think I would like leather OWB holsters but those look ok. How is the tension on leather holsters? Are they ok? On the holsters with a thumb break is that just something you get used to doing through practice. Seems like it would be a pain to get it out of the holster with that.
I've never used a leather holster. I've tried and looked at a few in the stores and shows, but haven't actually bought or carried one yet.

The thumb break will likely be something you'd just get used to with some practice. I recently switched to a thumb release (On the Safariland 7TS with ALS.) after using Blackhawk serpas and CQC holsters with the finger release for more than a decade and it took little time to become familiar and comfortable with its use. I actually like the thumb release on this system better than the Blackhawk finger release.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

C-dub wrote:The thumb break will likely be something you'd just get used to with some practice. I recently switched to a thumb release (On the Safariland 7TS with ALS.) after using Blackhawk serpas and CQC holsters with the finger release for more than a decade and it took little time to become familiar and comfortable with its use. I actually like the thumb release on this system better than the Blackhawk finger release.
I really do like the finger release on my holster, may have to try the thumb release one day as well. I considered getting a thumb release or the MTAC before I found the one I have currently. Do you use yours with a paddle or belt loop? I've only used the paddle so far..
Vence

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

vjallen75 wrote:
C-dub wrote:The thumb break will likely be something you'd just get used to with some practice. I recently switched to a thumb release (On the Safariland 7TS with ALS.) after using Blackhawk serpas and CQC holsters with the finger release for more than a decade and it took little time to become familiar and comfortable with its use. I actually like the thumb release on this system better than the Blackhawk finger release.
I really do like the finger release on my holster, may have to try the thumb release one day as well. I considered getting a thumb release or the MTAC before I found the one I have currently. Do you use yours with a paddle or belt loop? I've only used the paddle so far..
I used the CQC paddle for years and would still use the paddle with the 7TS, but the forward cant angle is too much for my taste and not adjustable. So, I was forced to use the belt slide mount that is adjustable.

I also like the finger release and even used in IDPA matches without any issues. However, after using this thumb release it seems more natural.

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

I use the same holster for concealed carry and open carry. (The one or two times I've just been too lazy to cover it up.)
I can't say enough good things about Jim and his holsters.

http://pantherconcealment.com/owb-holsters.html

Stock Image:

Return to “New to CHL?”