First time to CC

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Allenof5
Posts in topic: 1

First time to CC

Post by Allenof5 »

Got my plastic in last week went out yesterday with the family just running around town and was first time to catty. Felt good and safe

Bayoutalker

Re: First time to CC

Post by Bayoutalker »

Congratulations! Pretty soon you will feel naked without it.
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I remember my first time at Wally World, I thought everyone was looking at me. One person was in a wheel chair and I thought oh no he is eye level. Now it's no thought at all. The only thinking is looking for the darn signs going into somewhere new.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Nuts4hotwheels wrote:The day after I got my plastic, I went grocery shopping and thought that everybody would see it. Now, I realize a few things, nobody pays attention and if somebody sees me printing a little I am not getting in trouble.

I don't know if I will open carry in public like a store but I am more relaxed about people noticing.
I feel like everyone can see mine as well. But like you said, you can't get in trouble for carrying! :mrgreen:
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

KLB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KLB »

Nuts4hotwheels wrote:Now, I realize . . . if somebody sees me printing a little I am not getting in trouble.
That and inadvertently revealing your concealed carry (such as your shirt tail hiking up over the butt of the gun while you are in a car) are, to my mind, the chief benefits of open carry.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

KLB wrote:
Nuts4hotwheels wrote:Now, I realize . . . if somebody sees me printing a little I am not getting in trouble.
That and inadvertently revealing your concealed carry (such as your shirt tail hiking up over the butt of the gun while you are in a car) are, to my mind, the chief benefits of open carry.
"Open carry" did not change "inadvertent" display.

"Inadvertently revealing your concealed carry" has not been an issue since 1 SEP 2013 when S. B. 299 amended TPC section 46.035 from "intentionally fails to conceal the hanbgun" to "intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place."

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in a shoulder or belt holster by the license holder.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... 00299I.pdf
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Open carry may not have officially changed anything with regard to inadvertent display, but I do feel a lot more at ease CC'ing in a OC friendly location (no 30.07). My preferred method of CC is an OWB holster with a T-shirt or Polo over the top. With that type of rig and a medium to large gun (1911 Commander / Glock 19), I will definitely print some while reaching for an item or bending down. Plus there is always a possibility that my shirt could temporarily ride up over and behind the weapon.

I am just much, much more at ease carrying in a place where they accept OC, even though I am carrying in a manner that will not be noticed by 98% of the population.

KLB

Post by KLB »

oljames3 wrote:"Open carry" did not change "inadvertent" display.
True, except now we need not worry about an over zealous prosecutor wanting to litigate whether our display was truly inadvertent. Given the legality of open carry, whether display of your firearm was intentional is now irrelevant. I prefer irrelevance to an issue that could be litigated.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

KLB wrote:
True, except now we need not worry about an over zealous prosecutor wanting to litigate whether our display was truly inadvertent. Given the legality of open carry, whether display of your firearm was intentional is now irrelevant. I prefer irrelevance to an issue that could be litigated.
:iagree: Amen.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

txglock21 wrote:
KLB wrote:
:iagree: Amen.
:iagree: :anamatedbanana
Do what you say you're gonna do.

RevDLo

Post by RevDLo »

Received my license last Thursday. Got my holster in today. Cloak Tuck 3.0, carry a Taurus PT111 G2 9mm. Showed it off to the boss, we are a firearm friendly office, then he sent me on our daily coffee run LOL! Carried in the 7-11. Uneventful as expected but a lot of nervous energy on my part. Time to start looking for a good belt!

SoloXCRacer

Post by SoloXCRacer »

RevDLo wrote:Received my license last Thursday. Got my holster in today. Cloak Tuck 3.0, carry a Taurus PT111 G2 9mm. Showed it off to the boss, we are a firearm friendly office, then he sent me on our daily coffee run LOL! Carried in the 7-11. Uneventful as expected but a lot of nervous energy on my part. Time to start looking for a good belt!
Congrats! Yes, a proper gun belt and a good holster works wonders. You'll also notice that when you're out and about, 99% of people are completely oblivious to their surroundings and you'll relax more, LOL.

RevDLo

Post by RevDLo »

SoloXCRacer wrote:
RevDLo wrote:Received my license last Thursday. Got my holster in today. Cloak Tuck 3.0, carry a Taurus PT111 G2 9mm. Showed it off to the boss, we are a firearm friendly office, then he sent me on our daily coffee run LOL! Carried in the 7-11. Uneventful as expected but a lot of nervous energy on my part. Time to start looking for a good belt!
Congrats! Yes, a proper gun belt and a good holster works wonders. You'll also notice that when you're out and about, 99% of people are completely oblivious to their surroundings and you'll relax more, LOL.

Thanks! since then I have been to the bank for work and Walmart this morning. I'm becoming more relaxed about carrying but more observant because I am.

LTCTLB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LTCTLB »

Allenof5 wrote:Got my plastic in last week went out yesterday with the family just running around town and was first time to catty. Felt good and safe
That is awesome...cannot wait until I can do the same.
LTC training: 1/30/16; Application (online): 5/10; Fingerprints: 5/11; CHL100 submitted (online): 5/11; All docs received email from RSD: 5/12; Status change: 6/11; Plastic in hand: 6/13/16

LTCTLB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LTCTLB »

KLB wrote:
This is the best thing about the new OC laws. No worries about remaining concealed in a non-OC posted environment.
LTC training: 1/30/16; Application (online): 5/10; Fingerprints: 5/11; CHL100 submitted (online): 5/11; All docs received email from RSD: 5/12; Status change: 6/11; Plastic in hand: 6/13/16

Return to “New to CHL?”