First couple days of carrying......reflections

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
rexmitchell
Posts in topic: 3

First couple days of carrying......reflections

Post by rexmitchell »

So I got my plastic a little earlier than expected, the carry gun/holster I chose are currently in route so I ended up carrying something I wasn't planning on trying to CC. Went with my XD-40 service model with a OWB paddle holster. I've had this gun a while and carry it hunting so I am extremely familiar with it and like how it carries/draws. Went with an untucked shirt for a couple days now, didn't feel noticeable and wasn't noticeable unless I made an awkward movement and it showed a little. Real test came when I went fishing with a buddy (who knew I got my LTC) and he didn't notice, and more importantly my wife who I spent the afternoon shopping with and had no idea I was carrying. I can't wait to actually get my Glock 43 in since I know dang well no one will know I have that, but was reassuring that even people that knew had no idea I was carrying a full size pistol OWB. Decided to open carry at a self serve car wash and as expected not a person batted an eye, even in central Austin. Anyway, thought I share my first couple days in the club. Cheers!

LosAlce
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First couple days of carrying......reflections

Post by LosAlce »

Congrats! I'm a newbie too and I can tell you with every day I get more and more confidence.

Happy carrying! :thumbs2: :anamatedbanana
LTC since: 4/26/2016
Carrying: Sig P938 :rock"

goose

Post by goose »

rexmitchell wrote:So I got my plastic a little earlier than expected, the carry gun/holster I chose are currently in route so I ended up carrying something I wasn't planning on trying to CC. Went with my XD-40 service model with a OWB paddle holster. I've had this gun a while and carry it hunting so I am extremely familiar with it and like how it carries/draws. Went with an untucked shirt for a couple days now, didn't feel noticeable and wasn't noticeable unless I made an awkward movement and it showed a little. Real test came when I went fishing with a buddy (who knew I got my LTC) and he didn't notice, and more importantly my wife who I spent the afternoon shopping with and had no idea I was carrying. I can't wait to actually get my Glock 43 in since I know dang well no one will know I have that, but was reassuring that even people that knew had no idea I was carrying a full size pistol OWB. Decided to open carry at a self serve car wash and as expected not a person batted an eye, even in central Austin. Anyway, thought I share my first couple days in the club. Cheers!
It is amazing how little people notice. I love my little 43. It just disappears. Enjoy!
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Topic author
rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

Had a hard enough time finding one, and equally hard time trying to find the holster(s) I wanted.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Glad your experience has been a good one. I can assure you that the majority of the time, no one will notice you are carrying, even while using an OWB holster. Even when I open carry, most people don't notice. I've done so a fair amount and have yet to have anything resembling a negative encounter. I'm not trying to convince you to open carry, mind you. I'm just trying to reassure you that if you are concealing at all, the odds of anyone noticing is pretty slim. The odds of anyone objecting is even slimmer.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Topic author
rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

LucasMcCain wrote:Glad your experience has been a good one. I can assure you that the majority of the time, no one will notice you are carrying, even while using an OWB holster. Even when I open carry, most people don't notice. I've done so a fair amount and have yet to have anything resembling a negative encounter. I'm not trying to convince you to open carry, mind you. I'm just trying to reassure you that if you are concealing at all, the odds of anyone noticing is pretty slim. The odds of anyone objecting is even slimmer.
I haven't decided on my level of OC yet. My thought is that if I have a shirt I can pull over it, I probably will, but if not, I'm not going to try and hide it. I've also prepared myself for interactions with the fine liberals of Austin and how I might react to them. Still undecided if I will even bother to engage, or explain myself or just keep on moving.

Return to “New to CHL?”