Open vs concealed; Which is accepted more?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Fluidic
Posts in topic: 5

Open vs concealed; Which is accepted more?

Post by Fluidic »

In your experience, have you seen more 30.06 or 30.07 signs? Just sent in documents for license and trying to decide if I'd rather open carry or conceal.

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Open vs concealed; Which is accepted more?

Post by Scott in Houston »

Fluidic wrote:In your experience, have you seen more 30.06 or 30.07 signs? Just sent in documents for license and trying to decide if I'd rather open carry or conceal.
Signs… 30.07 for sure. If there's a 30.06, there's virtually always a 30.07 along with it, however, I've seen lone 30.07's many times.

As for conceal or open, that's a personal preference, but for me personally, I'll never open carry.
Search on this forum. There's likely 1000's of posts on the benefits of concealed and the detriments of open lol.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

In my area of normal travel which includes Johnson County, and Tarrant County, I have encountered more 30.07 signs if they are posted at all. I OC on a semi regular basis and only CC where signage requires, or places like church or other locations I feel may create a distraction. I have never had a negative reaction anywhere I OC, but it is each individual's decision.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Kenneth77

Post by Kenneth77 »

Around johnson county i have not seen many 07 or 06 really , there are just as many benefits to OC and CC and i do both just go with whatever mood i am in or what i am wearing . Just like this weekend i open carried all around Goldthwaite and hamilton and no one even took a second look and i felt totally comfortable with it .
leeproductsonline.com

goose

Post by goose »

Fluidic wrote:In your experience, have you seen more 30.06 or 30.07 signs? Just sent in documents for license and trying to decide if I'd rather open carry or conceal.
I would say that I see more 30.07.

It is a bit of a neat question, which is more accepted. I think that OC is less readily accepted. But CC might be less readily accepted if folks knew it was happening. Some folks will knowingly be happy with "out of sight out of mind." They may not like guns but they mainly just don't want to see them. Others, the anti's, are the ones wanting everyone posting 30.06/07 as well as taking ours away. Point being, I think that CC is more accepted because it offends fewer folks with sensitive dispositions. That isn't a statement of right or wrong, just an observation of where I think human nature is at.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Topic author
Fluidic

Post by Fluidic »

Thanks for the replies. I'm mainly asking because I would like to carry a full size pistol over a compact one. Most compact pistols I've held/shot always seem to be too small for my hands. For instance, my friend's wife has an M&P Shield and my pinky hangs off the bottom of the mag well making it something I wouldn't want to use in a life or death situation.
Aside from that, I've read a lot that compacts are usually more comfortable to carry concealed. I'm open to suggestions on some compact pistols for those with bigger hands. Hopefully I don't find one I really like or my wife will kill me. :shock:

Mike S
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike S »

goose wrote: Point being, I think that CC is more accepted because it offends fewer folks with sensitive dispositions. That isn't a statement of right or wrong, just an observation of where I think human nature is at.
:iagree:

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 4

Post by vjallen75 »

goose wrote:It is a bit of a neat question, which is more accepted. I think that OC is less readily accepted. But CC might be less readily accepted if folks knew it was happening. Some folks will knowingly be happy with "out of sight out of mind." They may not like guns but they mainly just don't want to see them. Others, the anti's, are the ones wanting everyone posting 30.06/07 as well as taking ours away. Point being, I think that CC is more accepted because it offends fewer folks with sensitive dispositions. That isn't a statement of right or wrong, just an observation of where I think human nature is at.
I agree, CC is probably more accepted because people don't even know you have a gun. Before I got my license I went all day around my wife and kids CC and they didn't even notice until I asked my wife if she could tell. My wife doesn't like OC because she feels like it makes you a target and it makes people uncomfortable. I, on the other hand, am open (to CC/OC) depending on the circumstances. Whatever works for you is what is best.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike S »

Fluidic wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm mainly asking because I would like to carry a full size pistol over a compact one. Most compact pistols I've held/shot always seem to be too small for my hands. For instance, my friend's wife has an M&P Shield and my pinky hangs off the bottom of the mag well making it something I wouldn't want to use in a life or death situation.
Aside from that, I've read a lot that compacts are usually more comfortable to carry concealed. I'm open to suggestions on some compact pistols for those with bigger hands. Hopefully I don't find one I really like or my wife will kill me. :shock:
Have you tried a mid-sized Glock, like the Glock 19 or 23? Might be a compromise between size & ability to conceal. Or, depending on your body size, the full size you already own may be easier to conceal than you think.

Topic author
Fluidic

Post by Fluidic »

[quote=Have you tried a mid-sized Glock, like the Glock 19 or 23? Might be a compromise between size & ability to conceal. Or, depending on your body size, the full size you already own may be easier to conceal than you think.[/quote]

Haven't looked at a Glock. Not with the intent to carry anyways. You might be right about the full size being comfortable but I'd hate to spend money on a quality holster and it not be very comfortable.

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

Mike S wrote:
Fluidic wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm mainly asking because I would like to carry a full size pistol over a compact one. Most compact pistols I've held/shot always seem to be too small for my hands. For instance, my friend's wife has an M&P Shield and my pinky hangs off the bottom of the mag well making it something I wouldn't want to use in a life or death situation.
Have you tried a mid-sized Glock, like the Glock 19 or 23? Might be a compromise between size & ability to conceal. Or, depending on your body size, the full size you already own may be easier to conceal than you think.
I also would like to add the xdmod 2 9mm. You should try that one out as well.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

I rarely get out of Tarrant county. And in my travels, I've noticed more 30.07 signs alone, on office buildings & restaurants. I've noticed both 30.07 & 30.06 signs on retail & convenience stores.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pariah3j »

Mike S wrote:
Also - several of the subcompact guns like the XDs have extension mags so you still have the smaller/easier to conceal gun but with a full size grip.

I started w/ a XDs 9 w/ an extension mag a few months back when I first started concealing, I found it easier to conceal and worried about it showing less, it helped me get more comfortable with the idea/feeling of it. I just recently got me a Walther PPQ, which isn't a huge gun, but definitely a full/regular sized gun and it is slowly starting to become my EDC - it usually will depend on style of dress or if I care if the gun shows or not.

I've yet to OC myself, but I am looking for a nice holster to be able to do so. I use to think women and all their shoes were silly, but I'm starting to understand, I want different holsters and different looks for different occasions :biggrinjester:
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have big hands and I have found that a 1911 with an Officer's size frame fits my whole hand and is very easy to conceal. I have found that this size frame is a great mix of accuracy, capacity (8 rounds of .45), shooting comfort, and concealment. You can also get the same frame with a Commander size slide for better accuracy.

That said, if you aren't too worried about possibly printing, then it is pretty easy to carry something like a full sized 1911 or a Glock 19 / 17.

I don't really have a problem shooting compacts, even though one finger is hanging off the grip. J-frame revolvers work, as does my Kahr PM-9 and even my Kel-Tec P3AT. Generally though, bigger is better. Larger guns = more accuracy, more capacity, and less recoil, with the trade off being comfort and concealment.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pariah3j »

lildave40 wrote: I also would like to add the xdmod 2 9mm. You should try that one out as well.
The XD Mod 2's are nice.. pretty much just a double stack XDs.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “New to CHL?”