Open vs concealed; Which is accepted more?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Fluidic
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Open vs concealed; Which is accepted more?

Post by Fluidic »

What brand of holsters would you recommend for either concealed or open?

Mike S
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike S »

I'm partial to Crossbreed Holsters, for concealed at least.

They have a Mother's Day special until 12 May:
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
Last edited by Mike S on Tue May 10, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pariah3j »

Fluidic wrote:Have you tried a mid-sized Glock, like the Glock 19 or 23? Might be a compromise between size & ability to conceal. Or, depending on your body size, the full size you already own may be easier to conceal than you think.

Haven't looked at a Glock. Not with the intent to carry anyways. You might be right about the full size being comfortable but I'd hate to spend money on a quality holster and it not be very comfortable.
What do you own now if I may ask ? Best way to know is to buy a holster for what you currently have, wear it around the house and see how comfortable you think you would be with it. After taking the class and while waiting on plastic, I started to do this and its what helped me decide to go sub compact.
Fluidic wrote:What brand of holsters would you recommend for either concealed or open?
Lots of discussions about that around the forum, the opinions on that very depending on the person. I personally like IWB style holsters for concealed carry. One suggestion I can't make enough is get a good Gun Belt - standard department store belts just won't cut it.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Deitz83
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deitz83 »

Living in DFW area, I see more 30.07 signs and no signs. I have large hands (my wives hands are medium, she prefers XD 9mm/40 S&W Subcompact or Browning Hi Power), but carry either a Springfield XD Subcompact .40 S & W or Glock 23, OWB, 90% of the time. The holster you consider can impact printing, as well as, the fit of your current clothing. As, for money spent on holsters. I listened to many forum members and watched reviews on YouTube. I made the right the decisions, spend my money wisely and have belts and holsters that match my daily wear. I CC.

LosAlce
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LosAlce »

I live on the border and see very few signs at all but when I do, it's typically 30.07.

The husband and I aren't much for open carry either but he's a big guy so he finds it more comfortable. He tried it out and we found almost no one noticed him carrying a Glock 17 in a black kydex holster. If they did they likely assumed he was BP (Border Patrol) or an off duty officer. The majority of the time we conceal but decided on special occasions (ie when it's way too hot) we'll open carry. Plus it's given me the excuse to look for nice leather holsters for OC as well as a new 1911 for myself since my husband already owns one and wants to open carry that.

But like it's been said before, it's all about your preference. Do what you feel is appropriate. There's a whole thread on members OC experiences and it gave us the courage to try it out.

In terms of other options, the hubs and I also picked up Sig 938's. He has big beefy hands but with the mags that have the pinky extension he says it feels incredible and it made all the difference for him. Go try a bunch of guns out of you can and see what you like. Who doesn't love a reason to visit the gunshop? :lol:
LTC since: 4/26/2016
Carrying: Sig P938 :rock"

Shadow41

Post by Shadow41 »

Fluidic wrote:What brand of holsters would you recommend for either concealed or open?
On the weekends when I'm going to town and I know I'll be carrying all day I normally use a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. On weekdays I can't carry at work, so lately I've been using a Fobus paddle to put on if I'm going somewhere after work. The Fobus is quick and easy on and off. Both are comfortable and have good retention. I prefer the DeSantis because it's a bit more concealable, but it's a bit of a hassle taking on and off on the weekdays.

On OC/CC, I've only CC'ed. I'm not against OC, I'm just not interested in drawing unwanted attention, especially if an adverse situation ever presents itself. I guess mark me in the element of surprise camp. As far as signage, I've seen numerous .07 signs around Waco. Most of those are at restaurants or medical centers with only very few at normal retail establishments. I haven't seen a big increase in .06, and a few that posted them in January have already taken them down. Unfortunately both movie theaters in town are now posted with both 06/07. It's unfortunate about the theaters but our DVD collection is growing now so it's not all that bad. We'll just have to wait for 4 to 6 more months to see the new movies that we used to go see at the theater.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Fluidic wrote:In your experience, have you seen more 30.06 or 30.07 signs? Just sent in documents for license and trying to decide if I'd rather open carry or conceal.

Go to https://www.texas3006.com/ and search for your city. You'll see the postings that others have submitted to the site.

That we do in fact carry is the main issue on which we should agree. Almost everything else is personal preference. This is especially true for method of carry.

Do your due diligence, perform your risk analysis, determine your limitations, and make your own decision about what works best for you.

After careful consideration, I carry openly where I can, conceal as the situation dictates, and disarm only if I must.

I carry a Tanfoglio BTA90 (CZ75 clone), all steel, 9mm. I find that a suit coat or untucked shirt will conceal quickly and easily. I use a thumb break paddle holster that is easy to don or remove and easy to adjust for position as well. I also own an inside the waistband (IWB) Galco KINGTUK that I wear when in intentionally dress to conceal.

As do most things in life, your choice of method of carry comes down to which risks you are willing to manage and which benefits matter most.

Be safe and carry.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

pinky extension he says it feels incredible

I second that. I bought a pistol for my wife and she didn't like it. I had trouble shooting it with my big hands. I bought pinky extensions for the mags. Now I love the pistol.

stroo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stroo »

M&P 9c with a magazine extension may be another gun to look at. Like the Glock 19 it is a medium sized gun so it handles much like a full sized M&P but is a little easier to conceal. Pinky extensions also help on most small guns.

Kolamer

Post by Kolamer »

I live in Tarrant county and I open carry all the time when I am not at work (work wont allow any carry). I have never once had a bad experience.

Topic author
Fluidic
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Fluidic »

Pariah3j wrote:What do you own now if I may ask ? Best way to know is to buy a holster for what you currently have, wear it around the house and see how comfortable you think you would be with it. After taking the class and while waiting on plastic, I started to do this and its what helped me decide to go sub compact.
Right now I own a Ruger 9E (a budget SR9 basically). I actually only started buying firearms about a year ago so it's the only pistol I own atm.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pariah3j »

Fluidic wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:What do you own now if I may ask ? Best way to know is to buy a holster for what you currently have, wear it around the house and see how comfortable you think you would be with it. After taking the class and while waiting on plastic, I started to do this and its what helped me decide to go sub compact.
Right now I own a Ruger 9E (a budget SR9 basically). I actually only started buying firearms about a year ago so it's the only pistol I own atm.
Thats how it starts, with the first one :lol: - I owned my first pistol for several years without a real need for another. Always window shopping, but never really serious about purchasing something. Then in the last 2 years I went from the 1 to 4 :mrgreen:
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Concealed is more "accepted" by the public, but mainly because it is out-of-sight, out-of-mind -- hence, I said "accepted". It is not consciously accepted by many folks. They are just unaware.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

LosAlce
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LosAlce »

Pariah3j wrote:
Thats how it starts, with the first one :lol: - I owned my first pistol for several years without a real need for another. Always window shopping, but never really serious about purchasing something. Then in the last 2 years I went from the 1 to 4 :mrgreen:
Man, I don't even think I can bring myself to admit how many we've purchased in the last 12 months "rlol" They're like puppies and need a good home! :lol:
LTC since: 4/26/2016
Carrying: Sig P938 :rock"

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Flightmare »

LosAlce wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:
Man, I don't even think I can bring myself to admit how many we've purchased in the last 12 months "rlol" They're like puppies and need a good home! :lol:
My friends are pondering holding an intervention for my addiction. I bought one in November, January, February, and March. Made it thru April without buying a new one though. I cannot say the same about ammo though. :fire
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “New to CHL?”