1st and second day of carry

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
chl-dawg
Posts in topic: 5

1st and second day of carry

Post by chl-dawg »

so i got my license on Wednesday night and i was ready to go to wal mart 'at night' with my new little friend but i decided to just wait to run my errand the next day. So on Thursday i carried after work ( i work in a school district so can't carry at work ) and went to HEB, Target and Wal Mart. I learned one thing is i need to get a bigger size business casual pants as the ones i had were very tight with my holster ! never the less i insisted on carrying and i was little conscious but everything was normal as i never had anything on me. I am looking or being careful about signage for 30.06 and 411 on each entry just to double check. I also went and had lunch in my favorite Vietnamese restaurant this afternoon and everything was wonderful.

i did buy a snapsafe lock box to store my firearm in the car as i have to leave it there on a daily basis while at work but it is what is at this point.
thank you for everyone on this forum for their support and knowledge. its definitely encouraged me to carry

casp625
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 1st and second day of carry

Post by casp625 »

chl-dawg wrote:so i got my license on Wednesday night and i was ready to go to wal mart 'at night' with my new little friend but i decided to just wait to run my errand the next day. So on Thursday i carried after work ( i work in a school district so can't carry at work ) and went to HEB, Target and Wal Mart. I learned one thing is i need to get a bigger size business casual pants as the ones i had were very tight with my holster ! never the less i insisted on carrying and i was little conscious but everything was normal as i never had anything on me. I am looking or being careful about signage for 30.06 and 411 on each entry just to double check. I also went and had lunch in my favorite Vietnamese restaurant this afternoon and everything was wonderful.

i did buy a snapsafe lock box to store my firearm in the car as i have to leave it there on a daily basis while at work but it is what is at this point.
thank you for everyone on this forum for their support and knowledge. its definitely encouraged me to carry
Just make sure you aren't violating your district's weapon policy - can't keep it in your vehicle on school property.

Topic author
chl-dawg

Post by chl-dawg »

casp625 wrote:
chl-dawg wrote:so i got my license on Wednesday night and i was ready to go to wal mart 'at night' with my new little friend but i decided to just wait to run my errand the next day. So on Thursday i carried after work ( i work in a school district so can't carry at work ) and went to HEB, Target and Wal Mart. I learned one thing is i need to get a bigger size business casual pants as the ones i had were very tight with my holster ! never the less i insisted on carrying and i was little conscious but everything was normal as i never had anything on me. I am looking or being careful about signage for 30.06 and 411 on each entry just to double check. I also went and had lunch in my favorite Vietnamese restaurant this afternoon and everything was wonderful.

Just make sure you aren't violating your district's weapon policy - can't keep it in your vehicle on school property.

hmmm from what i remember from the CHL class i took i am not able to take a weapon on the premise of a school ( inside building) but its Ok in the parking lot. FYI i work in the admin building for the school district and not in an actual school.

any other takers on this?

casp625
Posts in topic: 2

Post by casp625 »

chl-dawg wrote:
casp625 wrote:

hmmm from what i remember from the CHL class i took i am not able to take a weapon on the premise of a school ( inside building) but its Ok in the parking lot. FYI i work in the admin building for the school district and not in an actual school.

Here is the parking lot bill:
Sec. 52.061. RESTRICTION ON PROHIBITING EMPLOYEE ACCESS TO OR STORAGE OF FIREARM OR AMMUNITION. A public or private employer may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees.

Sec. 52.062. EXCEPTIONS. (a) Section 52.061 does not:
(1) authorize a person who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition to possess a firearm or ammunition on any property where the possession of a firearm or ammunition is prohibited by state or federal law; or
(2) apply to:
(A) a vehicle owned or leased by a public or private employer and used by an employee in the course and scope of the employee's employment, unless the employee is required to transport or store a firearm in the official discharge of the employee's duties;
(B) a school district;
Thus, if your employer (school district) has a "no weapons" policy on school property, you can be fired for violating that policy, but not charged criminally.

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flowrie »

Regarding pants:
I wear a size 35 waist in pants/jeans, which are difficult to find.
But since I carry IWB almost everyday (can't carry while on company travel), a size 36 waist is perfect for me.
So try 1 inch larger in the waist if you carry IWB.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Vietnameses food is among my favorites. Congrats on your LTC acomplishments. Good job. :hurry:

Topic author
chl-dawg

Post by chl-dawg »

casp625 wrote:
chl-dawg wrote:
casp625 wrote:

Here is the parking lot bill:
Sec. 52.061. RESTRICTION ON PROHIBITING EMPLOYEE ACCESS TO OR STORAGE OF FIREARM OR AMMUNITION. A public or private employer may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees.

Sec. 52.062. EXCEPTIONS. (a) Section 52.061 does not:
(1) authorize a person who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition to possess a firearm or ammunition on any property where the possession of a firearm or ammunition is prohibited by state or federal law; or
(2) apply to:
(A) a vehicle owned or leased by a public or private employer and used by an employee in the course and scope of the employee's employment, unless the employee is required to transport or store a firearm in the official discharge of the employee's duties;
(B) a school district;
Thus, if your employer (school district) has a "no weapons" policy on school property, you can be fired for violating that policy, but not charged criminally.
Thank you ! I will check with the school districts policy . Very helpful info

Topic author
chl-dawg

Post by chl-dawg »

flowrie wrote:

Regarding pants:
I wear a size 35 waist in pants/jeans, which are difficult to find.
But since I carry IWB almost everyday (can't carry while on company travel), a size 36 waist is perfect for me.
So try 1 inch larger in the waist if you carry IWB.
I guess I'll have to go shopping or lose some weight ..eh will buy some cause I can't lose weight fast enough hahahah
I'll try to see about 1 insh extra and see how that feels. I've been wearing shorts this week on vacation and their tight too but been manageable .

Topic author
chl-dawg

Post by chl-dawg »

Take Down Sicko wrote:Vietnameses food is among my favorites. Congrats on your LTC acomplishments. Good job. :hurry:
Thank you ! Love some pho ! Been it's too hot for that now hehe

Return to “New to CHL?”