Tips for IWB comfort?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 8

Tips for IWB comfort?

Post by mupepe »

So I received my license less than a week ago and right now I am carrying a Kimber Micro Carry .380 in a DeSantis Inside Heat.

I carry in the 5 o'clock position and I've learned a few things pretty quickly.

1. I need new grips. The stock rubber grips eat at you pretty quickly.
2. I now wear an undershirt all the time. I'm not sure if that will change when I get new grips.
3. I wear my pants a bit higher now. I never wore them low, but even so I found the barrel/holster would dig into me so I i brought them up an inch or so.

It's not bad at all. The biggest thing is the grips I think. Are checkered rosewood very aggressive? I like those on my other firearms but I'm not sure how they feel for carrying. Or should I just go with some smooth and slim grips?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Tips for IWB comfort?

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I have the inside heat as well and I've found that I don't use it too much, I typically favor my alien gear holster. My carry pistol is polymer, so I've usually got that digging at me. I do agree with you that an undershirt makes things much more comfortable, however on the weekends when I'm not dressed for work I usually forego the undershirt and deal with it because it's hot as sin right now. Come October this will probably change and I'll be in undershirts all of the time.

What belt are you using? I've found that a true gun belt will make a huger difference. Regular belts would just sag after a day or two and never give my holster good support, and just made for a very uncomfortable day.

Oh, and welcome to the club!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

I have carried IWB since day one in 2004, either a Glock 17, 19, 22 or 21. I cannot emphasize the undershirt thing enough. You have to keep that grip from direct contact with your skin. A nice grippy texture is crucial under stress, if you hands are sweaty, or heaven forbid, bloody... you need that grip texture. Do not get rid of it. The new Gen 4 glocks with the new rough texture are a joy to shoot, but harsh on your skin. Some good quality undershirts are a must, and I am not talking about thin, ribbed, wife beater types.

Other than that... the key is to realize that carrying a pistol is meant to be comforting, not comfortable. Believe it or not, the discomfort eventually goes away and you hardly notice it. It does take longer than a week to get used to, though.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I use the Inside Heat holster as well. I carry a Springfield XDS 9. However, I carry at 3 o'clock. Have you tried carrying it in different positions? I was lucky... it only took me 2 holsters to find the best for me... I know others have had to go through many more. No matter what you choose, make sure it is comfortable for you. I have carried everyday since getting my license, and honestly most of the time I don't feel the gun at all...its that comfortable for me.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

AJSully421 wrote:I have carried IWB since day one in 2004, either a Glock 17, 19, 22 or 21. I cannot emphasize the undershirt thing enough. You have to keep that grip from direct contact with your skin. A nice grippy texture is crucial under stress, if you hands are sweaty, or heaven forbid, bloody... you need that grip texture. Do not get rid of it. The new Gen 4 glocks with the new rough texture are a joy to shoot, but harsh on your skin. Some good quality undershirts are a must, and I am not talking about thin, ribbed, wife beater types.

Other than that... the key is to realize that carrying a pistol is meant to be comforting, not comfortable. Believe it or not, the discomfort eventually goes away and you hardly notice it. It does take longer than a week to get used to, though.
This is very true. My undershirts are Stafford brand from JC Penny, good thick ones.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Right now I am wearing a regular belt but I am getting a beltman belt soon. For right now it's not much of an issue I think because my carry weighs like 1 lb loaded haha

I've tried the 3 o'clock position but the grip safety and hammer seemed to dig into me in that position. 5 o'clock feels pretty good except for the grip but I'd imagine that would happen anywhere. I did notice that some of my older and more worn out undershirts don't protect as well as my newer ones.

The discomfort isn't really bad. My first night on my Wally Walk was the worst. My grip rubbed my skin raw in less than an hour. But since then it has been mostly small tweaks I've been making.

Rwgarding grips, you guys are right I still want enough texture that in a tense situation I can grasp it easily, but I didn't know if there were recommendations for grips that will maintain my grasp while still not being as abrasive. G10 perhaps? I've only ever used rubber and wood grips so I dont have much experience there.

Thanks again

casp625

Post by casp625 »

Best tip: switch to OWB

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

casp625 wrote:Best tip: switch to OWB
I'm thinking about it! I thought it would be harder to conceal but the last couple of hours I have been wearing my Springfield XD 45 in the OWB plastic holster that came with it and it conceals pretty well.

I have a Colt Defender on layaway that I plan on making my EDC. If I can easily conceal the CD OWB the Defender shouldnt be a problem.

My other concern for OWB is that my only form of transportation is a motorcycle. I feel more comfortable having the firearm closer to my body IWB while I ride.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

mupepe wrote:
casp625 wrote:Best tip: switch to OWB
I'm thinking about it! I thought it would be harder to conceal but the last couple of hours I have been wearing my Springfield XD 45 in the OWB plastic holster that came with it and it conceals pretty well.

I have a Colt Defender on layaway that I plan on making my EDC. If I can easily conceal the CD OWB the Defender shouldnt be a problem.

My other concern for OWB is that my only form of transportation is a motorcycle. I feel more comfortable having the firearm closer to my body IWB while I ride.
I have concealed a shield, CCO 1911 and Commander 1911 in an OWB with just a t-shirt and I only wear the size that fits - I don't buy a size larger. Some shirts print while others are very inconspicuous. However, you could look at some form of retention. For OC, I just have a thumb break. But you could go with something like Safariland ALS for CC and motorcycle riding.

Nano

Post by Nano »

I use a Barsony IWB holster for my XDs45 in the waste band or behind the belt. Behind the belt with an undershirt and a cover shirt is very comfortable. I also have on order a Remora Tuckable IWB holster. The video makes it look pretty good. https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/prod ... e-holster/

NRA Member

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

That holster does look good. I think I'm going to have to do some holster research.

For now ill continue wearing my Springfield OWB and Kimber IWB. I'll get an idea of what I will get used to as I carry more, what my wardrobe works with and which I like more. I really like the OWB though.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I have the inside heat as well and I've found that I don't use it too much, I typically favor my alien gear holster. My carry pistol is polymer, so I've usually got that digging at me. I do agree with you that an undershirt makes things much more comfortable, however on the weekends when I'm not dressed for work I usually forego the undershirt and deal with it because it's hot as sin right now. Come October this will probably change and I'll be in undershirts all of the time.

What belt are you using? I've found that a true gun belt will make a huger difference. Regular belts would just sag after a day or two and never give my holster good support, and just made for a very uncomfortable day.

Oh, and welcome to the club!
Try a good quality compression t-shirt. I live in t-shirts (retired) & find the compression shirts work well with a t-shirt for cover, even with
the recent heat/humidity. I also use an alien gear/polymer combo, bonus for me is the total lack of skin irritation as a holster tends to
'drag' a little on the skin when I sweat.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

for something that small, look at Kusiak Leather. it will carry nice and low, it might be more comfortable for you.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I am just starting to IWB carry and I think that the Galco Royal Guard (Gen 2) is very comfortable. It's pricy but comfortable. As for gun belts, I don't see how you can find a better one than the Alien Gear brand. I have been wearing one for two weeks and think that is top notch.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Crossbreed is very comfortable to me. Along with a BELTMAN belt.

Return to “New to CHL?”