Tips for IWB comfort?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tips for IWB comfort?

Post by Lynyrd »

I wear a Cross Breed Mini tuck, with an undershirt. The gun doesn't touch me at all. Honestly, sometimes I have to touch it to make sure it is still there. Even at the end of a summer day, I don't even feel it. Most people go through a few holsters before they find what is right for them. The think about the Cross Breed, and I have the horse hide option, the leather molds to your body over time until you don't even feel it.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mupepe »

Thanks everyone. I spent a lot of my free time today researching gun belts and holsters. I figured I'll tackle the gun belt first. Money is a little tight right now and while I would like a crossbreed, A&G or beltman they are a bit expensive for now. I think I have settled on the Hank's Amish 1.5 Extreme. Is it worth the $15 extra than the standard Gunner? The XD is pretty heavy and the Defender is 25oz unloaded. I would however like the option of carrying my full size 1911 at some point. Any feedback on that particular belt or Hank's Amish in general would be appreciated

flechero

Post by flechero »

mupepe wrote: The biggest thing is the grips I think. Are checkered rosewood very aggressive? I like those on my other firearms but I'm not sure how they feel for carrying. Or should I just go with some smooth and slim grips?
Adjust position a little and experiment with cant, either of those can make a HUGE difference.

As to grips specifically, I went with VZ ETC FRAG slims on my 1911 and was absolutely stunned with how good they were and how the didn't scuff me up in the holster... they are flat sided and use the "square groove principal" if you are familiar with gold at all. Great traction and easy on your sides/t shirts. They make a version of those for the kimber micro as well.

Spend the few extra dollars on an AG belt and you won't regret it a bit. I used to use Beltman (and think they are pretty good) but now use AG because they are even better for a similar price. In fact, going to a good belt may negate your need to buy new grips. I wear my belt a notch looser with a good belt since the stiffness supports it, over having to be cinched down. That Hanks belt may be fine for the kimber micro, but you mentioned carrying a 1911 someday... not with that belt, at least not comfortably.

Buying up the first time is hard to justify in the beginning but we would have ALL saved a lot of money to buy quality out of the gate! :tiphat:

mayor

Post by mayor »

casp625 wrote:Best tip: switch to OWB
I agree. I hate IWB and carry out unless absolutely not possible. I have a comp-tec IWB that is the most comfortable. Still not comfortable. My body ain't built for 2" oversize jeans.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

mupepe wrote:So I received my license less than a week ago and right now I am carrying a Kimber Micro Carry .380 in a DeSantis Inside Heat.

I carry in the 5 o'clock position and I've learned a few things pretty quickly.

1. I need new grips. The stock rubber grips eat at you pretty quickly.
2. I now wear an undershirt all the time. I'm not sure if that will change when I get new grips.
3. I wear my pants a bit higher now. I never wore them low, but even so I found the barrel/holster would dig into me so I i brought them up an inch or so.

It's not bad at all. The biggest thing is the grips I think. Are checkered rosewood very aggressive? I like those on my other firearms but I'm not sure how they feel for carrying. Or should I just go with some smooth and slim grips?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Don't IWB carry a metal-framed gun in winter without either an undershirt or a private area where you can run around squealing "COLDCOLDCOLDCOLD!!!!" for 5 minutes.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Dave2 wrote:
mupepe wrote:So I received my license less than a week ago and right now I am carrying a Kimber Micro Carry .380 in a DeSantis Inside Heat.

I carry in the 5 o'clock position and I've learned a few things pretty quickly.

1. I need new grips. The stock rubber grips eat at you pretty quickly.
2. I now wear an undershirt all the time. I'm not sure if that will change when I get new grips.
3. I wear my pants a bit higher now. I never wore them low, but even so I found the barrel/holster would dig into me so I i brought them up an inch or so.

It's not bad at all. The biggest thing is the grips I think. Are checkered rosewood very aggressive? I like those on my other firearms but I'm not sure how they feel for carrying. Or should I just go with some smooth and slim grips?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.
Don't IWB carry a metal-framed gun in winter without either an undershirt or a private area where you can run around squealing "COLDCOLDCOLDCOLD!!!!" for 5 minutes.
My holster takes care of that. It is called a sweat shield.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

WTR wrote:
Dave2 wrote:Don't IWB carry a metal-framed gun in winter without either an undershirt or a private area where you can run around squealing "COLDCOLDCOLDCOLD!!!!" for 5 minutes.
My holster takes care of that. It is called a sweat shield.
That's cheating! :mrgreen: Also, it doesn't always solve the issue if you look more like Homer than Atlas.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

Regarding holster cant, that would definitely help. The inside heat always shifts back to straight up. Is there some sort of trick or is cant something that's holster specific?

I'll probably just put down the money now for a Belt Man belt or A&G. Everything I read says I'll end up going for it or one similar anyways.

Winter will definitely be OWB because of all the extra layers! :cheers2:

dfw_newbie

Post by dfw_newbie »

I haven't been able to ACTUALLY carry mine yet, but I ordered an alien gear cloak tuck 3.0 and it fits my XDs .45 and my Colt 1911 just fine.. super comfortable too. the only thing that will take some time to get used to (for me) is the added weight of it.

PackinPig

Post by PackinPig »

I just picked up a MaxTuck IWB Holster from White Hat Holsters today. It is super comfortable and although I don't have my LTC yet, I have been wearing the holster around the house and even mowed my lawn with it on. Barely even notice its there.
White Hat Holster's is a private company located in Mansfield, TX. The owner, "Tony" was really helpful and deals with all purchases and orders. It is a small shop but they make quality holsters and can print basically any image onto the kydex of your holster. I will definitely be buying more stuff from them in the future.
Check out the website here: http://www.whitehatholsters.com/maxtuck ... b-holster/

This is my holster I got today:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
"Speak softly and carry a big stick."
-Theodore Roosevelt 26th President of the United States

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

So I rode around yesterday and ran errands on my motorcycle while carrying. I wore an undershirt and even in this Houston, Texas summer weather I was ok. I also didn't feel a thing this time so I think I'm getting over that.

However, I don't think I'd carry a full size that way. So now I am looking at belts and holsters for OWB.

A quick question about the belts though. As I said I ride my motorcycle exclusively so it's not uncommon for me to be caught in rain. How will the belts hold up to that? I don't want to spend $100 on a belt for it to fall apart from the rain. I go through normal belts quite often because of this. They warp and stretch from it then eventually crack and break.

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

mupepe wrote:So I rode around yesterday and ran errands on my motorcycle while carrying. I wore an undershirt and even in this Houston, Texas summer weather I was ok. I also didn't feel a thing this time so I think I'm getting over that.

However, I don't think I'd carry a full size that way. So now I am looking at belts and holsters for OWB.

A quick question about the belts though. As I said I ride my motorcycle exclusively so it's not uncommon for me to be caught in rain. How will the belts hold up to that? I don't want to spend $100 on a belt for it to fall apart from the rain. I go through normal belts quite often because of this. They warp and stretch from it then eventually crack and break.
PackinPig wrote:I just picked up a MaxTuck IWB Holster from White Hat Holsters today. It is super comfortable and although I don't have my LTC yet, I have been wearing the holster around the house and even mowed my lawn with it on. Barely even notice its there.
White Hat Holster's is a private company located in Mansfield, TX. The owner, "Tony" was really helpful and deals with all purchases and orders. It is a small shop but they make quality holsters and can print basically any image onto the kydex of your holster. I will definitely be buying more stuff from them in the future.
Check out the website here: http://www.whitehatholsters.com/maxtuck ... b-holster/

Those are nice! I like the exchangeable kydex so I can more cheaply run the same holster for different guns.

PackinPig

Post by PackinPig »

mupepe wrote:
mupepe wrote:So I rode around yesterday and ran errands on my motorcycle while carrying. I wore an undershirt and even in this Houston, Texas summer weather I was ok. I also didn't feel a thing this time so I think I'm getting over that.

PackinPig wrote:I just picked up a MaxTuck IWB Holster from White Hat Holsters today. It is super comfortable and although I don't have my LTC yet, I have been wearing the holster around the house and even mowed my lawn with it on. Barely even notice its there.

Those are nice! I like the exchangeable kydex so I can more cheaply run the same holster for different guns.

Yea they are great holsters. You can even buy just the OWB leather backing from the "replacement parts" tab and can remove the kydex from the IWB holster and attach it to the OWB backing and carry OWB with the same kydex.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
"Speak softly and carry a big stick."
-Theodore Roosevelt 26th President of the United States

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

OWB

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Bent_Remy

Post by Bent_Remy »

AJSully421 wrote:I have carried IWB since day one in 2004, either a Glock 17, 19, 22 or 21. I cannot emphasize the undershirt thing enough. You have to keep that grip from direct contact with your skin. A nice grippy texture is crucial under stress, if you hands are sweaty, or heaven forbid, bloody... you need that grip texture. Do not get rid of it. The new Gen 4 glocks with the new rough texture are a joy to shoot, but harsh on your skin. Some good quality undershirts are a must, and I am not talking about thin, ribbed, wife beater types.

Other than that... the key is to realize that carrying a pistol is meant to be comforting, not comfortable. Believe it or not, the discomfort eventually goes away and you hardly notice it. It does take longer than a week to get used to, though.
I agree

Return to “New to CHL?”