Holster Wear Question

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Holster Wear Question

Post by AJSully421 »

No, it won't hurt it.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

parabelum wrote:You will have some rub marks over time, but it will not affect the functionality.

I like kydex since it provides a clear path for your weapon to be securely holstered, nothing that could inadvertently cause a snag.
:iagree:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

mupepe wrote: How much of a concern is moisture getting trapped in a leather holster? It's quite humid here in Houston and my other carry is in a leather holster and I wanted to get one for my full size 1911 and 6 inch revolver.
Leather holsters are not suitable for storage... if you carry in leather, you should remove the gun from the holster nightly. I just give a quick wipe down as I remove the gun from the holster and set it in the safe. I keep a silicon cloth inside the safe door for that purpose. Even if you carry in kydex, you need to wipe down regularly.

A side note- if your leather holster gets wet or sweat down, you need to let it dry completely before wearing it again to ensure max life.... not doing so will greatly reduce the stiffness, retention and fit of a nice leather holster. For that reason alone I wear mostly kydex in the summer, just so I don't have to rotate holsters out daily.

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mupepe »

Thanks! I think I'll end up using the kydex for most day to day stuff. I'll probably get a leather IWB holster for certain dress situations though. I can't imagine Kydex IWB is very comfortable.

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 4

Post by vjallen75 »

mupepe wrote:Thanks! I think I'll end up using the kydex for most day to day stuff. I'll probably get a leather IWB holster for certain dress situations though. I can't imagine Kydex IWB is very comfortable.
The side of an IWB holster that touches your body would either be leather or some other form of material that can form to your body. They use Kydex on the other side to keep retention. It's fascinating to think of the first person that came up with this idea is probably rich beyond belief.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Return to “New to CHL?”