Holster Wear Question

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 5

Holster Wear Question

Post by mupepe »

So first I'm not worried about holster wear on the finish. Holster wear actually looks good IMO :thumbs2:

I just ordered a Crossbreed Super Slide hybrid holster for a Colt Defender that arrives tomorrow. What I'm wondering is if the kydex can actually damage the gun. I know that the kydex (and leather) can and will rub off the finish, but I'm assuming that the steel slide and aluminum frame of the Cold Defender is tougher than the kydex and long term use won't actually hurt the gun. Is that correct? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Holster Wear Question

Post by flechero »

Other than some cosmetic marks, it wont hurt it.

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

:tiphat:

That's what I was making sure of! Thank you very much.

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 4

Post by vjallen75 »

Couldn't you line the side of the kydex that touches your firearm? That way there is less cosmetic marks?

I just ordered the alien gear cloak tuck 3.0, mine should arrive tomorrow as well :clapping:
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

vjallen75 wrote:Couldn't you line the side of the kydex that touches your firearm? That way there is less cosmetic marks?

I just ordered the alien gear cloak tuck 3.0, mine should arrive tomorrow as well :clapping:
I thought about this. But I don't know how tight the fit will be or really what material to use. I assume I could use leather, but I'll be honest I wouldn't know where to get it. Or perhaps a microfiber cloth cut out and glued?

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Post by parabelum »

You will have some rub marks over time, but it will not affect the functionality.

I like kydex since it provides a clear path for your weapon to be securely holstered, nothing that could inadvertently cause a snag.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

mupepe wrote:I thought about this. But I don't know how tight the fit will be or really what material to use. I assume I could use leather, but I'll be honest I wouldn't know where to get it. Or perhaps a microfiber cloth cut out and glued?
I think microfiber cloth would be decent, I'm sure someone on the forum will come around and give us a better idea of what does and does not work. I don't think leather would be a good idea because of the width of it unless you get a really thin layer. I picked up spray glue a few years ago from hobby lobby to reupholster my motorcycle seat that would work well with anything you intend to stick to the kydex without having glue leak out.
Vence
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

vjallen75 wrote:Couldn't you line the side of the kydex that touches your firearm? That way there is less cosmetic marks?

JMHO But I wouldn't try to line the Kydex with anything. The Kydex, is formed to the exact size and shape of the gun it's made for. that's why it works so well for retention, the gun actually "clicks" into place, any lining will affect this fit and consequently retention.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

If you line it with cloth, the sharp edges of the gun will snag and tear it and then you'll have a mess of shredded cloth glued to your holster. The leather lined Kydex shells are molded to accommodate the thickness of the leather. (like silent thunder holsters)

Holster wear is confirmation that your gun is living a happy and useful life!! :thumbs2: :fire

Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

If your interested in leather lined kidex, check out Garret Industries. Not cheap, but very nice. I love mine. I am absolutely unaffiliated with them, just a happy customer.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Jusme wrote:

JMHO But I wouldn't try to line the Kydex with anything. The Kydex, is formed to the exact size and shape of the gun it's made for. that's why it works so well for retention, the gun actually "clicks" into place, any lining will affect this fit and consequently retention.
This is very enlightening. Thanks!! :tiphat:
Vence

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I have a pocket holster made of Kydex and over time it did wear off the finish of my blued pocket pistol. It's a nice well known holster and fit the gun great. I quit using it when it got a crack in it. It's possible that pocket carry is a bit rougher on guns than other forms of carry. I still carry the gun daily but it now lives in a Don Hume leather holster. A very well made and nice looking holster for sure. The Finish on the wood grips also showed some finish wear. Any holster will wear on a gun if worn often. Some just worse than others. Maybe some of the LEOs will chime in since I know many use Kydex holsters. If you want your gun to stay pretty, keep it in your safe or just wear it occasionally. IMHO

goose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by goose »

flechero wrote:
Holster wear is confirmation that your gun is living a happy and useful life!! :thumbs2: :fire

:-) I agree completely. By and large I am not a fan of wear and tear but there are exceptions. A 4x4 truck with zero blemishes looks out of place. Same with a mountain bike or a dirt bike. A well maintained pistol with the patina of daily carry looks exquisite.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

Thanks, everyone. As I said, the holster wear doesn't bother me. A blued 1911 with holster wear is gorgeous. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt the aluminum/steel frame underneath.

How much of a concern is moisture getting trapped in a leather holster? It's quite humid here in Houston and my other carry is in a leather holster and I wanted to get one for my full size 1911 and 6 inch revolver.

goose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by goose »

mupepe wrote:Thanks, everyone. As I said, the holster wear doesn't bother me. A blued 1911 with holster wear is gorgeous. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt the aluminum/steel frame underneath.

How much of a concern is moisture getting trapped in a leather holster? It's quite humid here in Houston and my other carry is in a leather holster and I wanted to get one for my full size 1911 and 6 inch revolver.
My G43 has spent most of it's life in a Bianchi Pro 100. (Hate the metal clip, love the feel of the holster) I haven't noticed any negatives from humidity. I carry it while outside so it does get moist occasionally but I do not work outside so my exposure to the humidity/sweat is limited. Most of us living in the AC have a constant dehumidifier running to help keep the moisture at bay. If you work or play outside more extensively it could be a different story.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Return to “New to CHL?”