First days of carry....not very comfortable

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First days of carry....not very comfortable

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I respectfully disagree with AJSully - I've got one of those holsters, an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0, and I've found that's way more comfortable than my DeSantis Inside Heat. I haven't spent a ton on trying a bunch of holsters yet, but I like the wide spread on my belt. Also, the sturdy belt makes a huge difference, good call getting a gun belt. This is my preference - what works for AJSully may not work for me and vice versa - so he's not wrong at all.

Just keep messing with your setup till you find what works. It took me a bit to get my AG holster working properly, so keep at it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
kevin1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by kevin1 »

Thanks for the posts. I’ve learned some interesting things:
I didn’t know that pants could make a difference (besides the obvious one size larger). Ideally I’d like to have my pants a little higher. But I’m a little overweight (5”7 and 170lbs) and the belt will go under my belly.
I also didn’t know that the G26 would pinch more than a G19. That is very counter intuitive. I also have a G35, but I think it might be too big. It’s without surprise that I see many of you carry the Shield. I’ll try to make the G26 work by changing the position to 3 and/or changing the cant and see how it goes. I also have an OWB cheap Glock Sport and Combat and a DeSantis Sof-Tuck holster and I can play with.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Liberty wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:Along with what others have said, sitting and driving are the hardest positions to find a comfortable solution. Cant makes a big difference, height of the holster relative to your waist also makes a big difference, as well as position on the clock and size of the gun. And yes, we all have a drawer/box full of old holsters.
This ! I think people underestimate the value of adjusting the cant. A few degrees can make a big difference.
:iagree:

All around properly adjusted holster will make a world of difference. Also, it's imperative to pick the holster (especially IWB) that fits the best.

For me, either crossbreed or alien gear fit the bill. Whether g26 or big 'ol g21, I find both of those holsters to be pretty comfortable. If budget permits, buy a bigger gun and carry it occasionally. Then when you take your g26 for a ride, you'll forget it's even there :thumbs2:

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasTornado »

Have you tried carrying at the 2-2:15 position? I'm so used to having a chunky phone keys etc on my pockets that lining up my pistol with my pocket feels like the other things I carry. I had to start putting my phone in my left pocket however because it does make my right pocket difficult to access. Always a trade off.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

kevin1 wrote:I'm carrying a Glock 26 in a white hat micro tuck holster at 4 o'clock position. I have 2 gun belts. The first one is The Ultimate Concealed Carry CCW Leather Gun Belt I bought from amazon (I like it, but it's kinda thick) and the second one is the 511 trainer belt.
My first issue was driving. My driving comfort is important and that's why I have nice leather 18 ways adjustable seats. Initially I felt like there was a brick in my back. Now I'm kinda getting use to it.

The second problem is that in the seating position, the barrel of the gun pinches my butt against the chair or the car seat. Initially I didn't notice it, but now it's starting to really hurt.

I'll probably get use to all this stuff, but I thought I'd share my first days of carry.
I feel your pain...literally. I'm also 5'7", but weigh more than you, so belly is definitely a contributing factor. Working on reducing that issue.
Comfortable and Carrying aren't words I would use in a sentence at this point. My "least painful" options so far has been the OWB Blackhawk Serpa on belt mount and my Sneaky Pete on belt. I've started using the Serpa on a paddle mount some, but find it is harder to move into a more comfortable position in the car. I really like the Sneaky Pete because it covers all of the uncomfortable edges of my Shield.

I also have a Alien Gear IWB that I haven't been able to get fitted properly to the point leaving the house with it on.

Considering getting a shoulder holster, especially when the high temperatures begin to fall below 90 every day and I can wear a t-shirt under regular shirt.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

jrs_diesel

Post by jrs_diesel »

This is one case where a cheap Uncle Mikes holster saves the day for me.

I IWB (made by Triple T) as well, at about 4:30. On short trips, it is a minor discomfort. On long trips, it sucks. On the longer trips I'll remove my gun from the IWB holster, and put it in the Uncle Mikes holster, which then goes into the door pocket. Way more comfortable that way sitting on an empty holster. Once I get to my destination, I move it back and carry on like normal.
J.R.

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

When I first started carrying I had a friend who answered my comfort complaints by saying, "It's not meant to be comfortable, It's meant to be comforting."
That changed my mindset and before I knew it I hardly noticed it at all. Changing to 3-3:30 really helped when driving as well. Another thing that helped a lot is just tightening up a good belt.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jrs_diesel wrote:This is one case where a cheap Uncle Mikes holster saves the day for me.

I IWB (made by Triple T) as well, at about 4:30. On short trips, it is a minor discomfort. On long trips, it sucks. On the longer trips I'll remove my gun from the IWB holster, and put it in the Uncle Mikes holster, which then goes into the door pocket. Way more comfortable that way sitting on an empty holster. Once I get to my destination, I move it back and carry on like normal.
:iagree: Door pocket, center console, or another easily accessible place. More comfortable and easier to access if needed. The only downside is that you need to re-holster when leaving the vehicle, so be safe.

I have also gone to OWB almost exclusively. I can't even remember the last time I carried IWB. When I have to wear a tucked in shirt, I am usually at work (where I can't carry at all), or driving to work (where I don't care about concealing). All other times I just wear my shirt untucked over an OWB holster. I have yet to have anyone notice that I am carrying a gun. My usual carry is a 1911, either full size or Commander length.

Wag2323
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Wag2323 »

So just occurred to me you should try this.

I found the right spot for my alien gear by putting it in my pants without clipping it then moving it around to figure out where I wanted it. Why not go sit in your car and do this. After you find the spot just reference the clips to where they go from your belt loops.

Obviously do this with the gun unloaded.

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Teamless wrote:Before you change guns or belts or holsters
Change the position of the holster

For me, when I am walking around, I find even with a full size gun, it is confortable about 5:00 position
When I am sitting, like you commented, the barrel pinches
So I now tried various positions and ended up where the gun is about 3:15-3:30
(Yes :15 can make a huge difference!)
So keep moving it around, it will get better

I also suggest carrying between 3:15 and 3:30 especially when seated or driving. We recently made a road trip from Texas to Tennessee and back, I was carrying my XDm Compact in a CBST IWB at that position and barely knew it was there.
NRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As many Members have noted, try carrying at the 3:00 o'clock position and dress accordingly. I cannot carry aft of 3:00 with any degree of comfort when sitting, especially when against a chair or seat back pushing the gun into my side. The further aft it is, the greater the discomfort. Also as others have said, the length of the barrel/slide and the degree of the cant are factors when seated. If the barrel hits the seat or chair, your ribs are going to know it.

I carry IWB most of the time, but I've been doing it so long, the gun is a non-issue when carried at 3:00 and with a 15 degree cant.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I carry mine at between 7:00-8:30) depending on what I'll be doing that day. The more I plan to sit, the closer to 8:30 I put it. When I wear my OWB holster, it is easy to slide it back and forth as needed. Very convenient but not as concealable. I've used IWB holsters for so long it really doesn't bother me much but there are times it does.

After a while, it will become like slipping your wallet and phone in your pockets.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
kevin1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by kevin1 »

Today I carried at the 3 o'clock position inside the White hat holster, and without modifying the cant. I liked it but there was one major problem. The front clip of the holster started to hurt. I also tried to modify the cant for the 3 o'clock position and didn’t like it. The pistol was a little too deep inside my pants and made the draw more difficult. Also, with the new cant, the pistol ended up having much more contact with my skin. I really think that the White Hat MicroTuck Hybrid isn’t designed for a 3 o’clock position.

Right now I’m wearing the DeSantis Sof-Tuck holster at 3 o’clock and surprisingly it feels pretty good.

BTW, I went to Cabelas to try the Shield 9mm and I didn’t like it. I liked the trigger break. But It didn’t feel good in my hand and I didn’t like the false reset of the trigger (there is a click and you think the trigger is reset, but it’s not). It’s like having a 2 stage reset trigger.

Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teamless »

kevin1 wrote: BTW, I went to Cabelas to try the Shield 9mm and I didn’t like it. I liked the trigger break. But It didn’t feel good in my hand and I didn’t like the false reset of the trigger (there is a click and you think the trigger is reset, but it’s not). It’s like having a 2 stage reset trigger.

Are you in the Houston area?
If so, and if you want to actually shoot the Shield 9 (or several others) I could meet you at PSC and let you play with a few to help your decision process

Just PM me
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

When i first got my LTC i was afraid to drive with the gun at 4:30 pressed against the seat so i drove sitting on one cheek. Then, after a while when i saw nothing would happen i wasnt afraid of an accidental discharge anymore. I now drive with both cheeks planted firmly to the seat and i cant even tell its there. :smash:

Return to “New to CHL?”