First days of carry....not very comfortable

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kevin1
Posts in topic: 7

First days of carry....not very comfortable

Post by kevin1 »

I'm carrying a Glock 26 in a white hat micro tuck holster at 4 o'clock position. I have 2 gun belts. The first one is The Ultimate Concealed Carry CCW Leather Gun Belt I bought from amazon (I like it, but it's kinda thick) and the second one is the 511 trainer belt.
My first issue was driving. My driving comfort is important and that's why I have nice leather 18 ways adjustable seats. Initially I felt like there was a brick in my back. Now I'm kinda getting use to it.

The second problem is that in the seating position, the barrel of the gun pinches my butt against the chair or the car seat. Initially I didn't notice it, but now it's starting to really hurt.

I'll probably get use to all this stuff, but I thought I'd share my first days of carry.

Ed4032
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First days of carry....not very comfortable

Post by Ed4032 »

Now you know why you wind up with so many different holsters and guns. Keep trying different setups and you will never really find the perfect one. Just remember the first rule of a gun fight... bring a gun.
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Also keep in mind that, while you may try several different holsters or even a different gun or two and eventually find a combination that is less uncomfortable than another, it has also been mentioned several times around here that carrying a gun isn't supposed to comfortable, but rather comforting.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

PatrickMas20

Post by PatrickMas20 »

I've been using the same belt for about 2 years now and once I purchased my first "gun" belt, it took me a good couple weeks to get used to. I bought two IWB holsters before my LTC came in so I can carry around my place and see what worked and didn't work for me. Driving definitely took some getting used to but by now, I rarely even notice my shield 9mm is back there. I sometimes re-adjust when driving, moving my firearm from 4-3:30 which I think helps with comfort.

Best of luck to finding a combo that works!

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

No matter what I did or which combo I tried, I could never get comfortable with any IWB holster. So many people say "I have X holster and I can't even tell it's there" but that was never the case for me, especially when driving and sitting as you mentioned. I end up pocket carrying a Kahr PM9 most of the time.

You might consider an OWB holster and loose shirts/jackets when feasible. When I'm at the family property I carry a Glock 20 in an OWB holster and don't have any of the issues that come with an IWB. Of course, I don't have to worry about concealing out there.

loscar141

Post by loscar141 »

I started with a g19 that while not comfortable it was tolerable. I change to a s&w shield with a belt slide holster and just a leather belt, nothing fancy. I carry at 3oclock, no problems.

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasTornado »

Ed4032 wrote:Now you know why you wind up with so many different holsters and guns. Keep trying different setups and you will never really find the perfect one. Just remember the first rule of a gun fight... bring a gun.
Your pants can make a huge difference too. Especially for IWB. Next time you need jeans or slacks, just take your setup with you.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Before you change guns or belts or holsters
Change the position of the holster

For me, when I am walking around, I find even with a full size gun, it is confortable about 5:00 position
When I am sitting, like you commented, the barrel pinches
So I now tried various positions and ended up where the gun is about 3:15-3:30
(Yes :15 can make a huge difference!)
So keep moving it around, it will get better
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Wag2323
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Wag2323 »

I would try moving the holster slightly to the left or right. I have single clip holster and an alien gear IWB. The single clip I can cant the gun slightly that helps with comfort. The alien gear has to be in the correct spot to be comfortable driving, the most comfortable spot is grip laying more parallel with the seat and not pushing into it.

Also I don't know how you sit in your car but for me I have to sit more straight up.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Teamless wrote:Before you change guns or belts or holsters
Change the position of the holster

For me, when I am walking around, I find even with a full size gun, it is confortable about 5:00 position
When I am sitting, like you commented, the barrel pinches
So I now tried various positions and ended up where the gun is about 3:15-3:30
(Yes :15 can make a huge difference!)
So keep moving it around, it will get better
:iagree: This is what I also do. It does take some getting used to but over time you will. As C-Dub said, it is not supposed to be comfortable but comforting.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

goose

Post by goose »

You have a good mindset. Letting it all settle in a bit. I would also vote for moving the holster around on your belt to a couple of different locations. Mainly because the price is right. I've never had any of mine be so comfortable that it disappeared but you should be able to get to where you notice it without it bothering you.

Good luck. Keep experimenting.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Along with what others have said, sitting and driving are the hardest positions to find a comfortable solution. Cant makes a big difference, height of the holster relative to your waist also makes a big difference, as well as position on the clock and size of the gun. And yes, we all have a drawer/box full of old holsters.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

LosAlce

Post by LosAlce »

I'm an appendix carrier. I move between 12:00 and 1:00. It's what I've found worked for me so now I've started buying holsters specifically for appendix. It made all the difference for me sitting for long periods of time, especially in the car. Many people are afraid to try that position. I get that. There are sensitive things in that area but more importantly, there are large arteries there (I say more importantly because that impacts men and women). There are tons of good articles and videos centered around appendix carry if that interests you.

I also second the pants comment. The style of pants, the material and especially wearing slightly larger pants can make carrying so much more enjoyable.

It takes time. I still try new things out (at home) just to make sure I don't develop a habit of leaving my gun at home because my setup happens to be bothering me.

Good luck! :txflag:
LTC since: 4/26/2016
Carrying: Sig P938 :rock"

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

A few things:

You have inadvertently found the problem with carrying at 4 o'clock and trying to sit comfortably. I made that mistake too, I now carry at 3 and don't worry about printing.

Next, I did the exact same thing... I started with a Beretta 92, then went to a G27. It was small, but it pinched by side and cheek against stuff. I went to a G19 and that went away. My daily, tucked in carry is still a 19, but my "evenings and weekends" is a 17. Sometimes bigger is better. See if you can borrow a compact from a buddy and try 3 o'clock.

Next... The trend these days is the "soft backed comfort machine" holsters with the clips on both ends and all sorts of padded stuff between you and the gun. "Keeps the gun in place" they say... "Prevents tilting" they say. I carry a 17 in a Comptac infidel with a standard center clip. When I sit in a bolstered truck seat, it rotates forward and remains comfortable. When I stand up, it goes back in place and... You guessed it... Stays comfortable.

Also, look at adjusting the height that you carry. Sometimes the exact same setup, but an fraction of an inch higher or lower makes a big difference. I have had to rework all of my Safariland OC holsters to be a half inch higher to be able to sit on the tractor or in the deer blind with.

The last thing that I will tell you is that any change will take 5-7 days to feel normal. You would not believe the things that I have tortured myself with for a week just to give it an honest try.

Just a few things that I have learned since 2004.
Last edited by AJSully421 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Lynyrd wrote:Along with what others have said, sitting and driving are the hardest positions to find a comfortable solution. Cant makes a big difference, height of the holster relative to your waist also makes a big difference, as well as position on the clock and size of the gun. And yes, we all have a drawer/box full of old holsters.
This ! I think people underestimate the value of adjusting the cant. A few degrees can make a big difference.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “New to CHL?”