Question regarding signage

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Ericjd0887
Posts in topic: 1

Question regarding signage

Post by Ericjd0887 »

This might be a silly question, so forgive me. But my question is most places that post a 30.06 sign also post 30.07 signs as well, basically saying no guns allowed, but what if you come across a place that only has a 30.06 sign? Does this mean as a person who has a ltc, do you have to carry openly? The reason I ask this is because according to the Texas 3006 website/app... a hotel
I will be staying at in the Dallas area has a valid 30.06 sign posted but doesn't say anything about a 30.07 sign up
As well. And I would assume that even with a 30.06 sign up, once I got to my room, that wouldn't apply anymore?

Flightmare

Re: Question regarding signage

Post by Flightmare »

While they are not legally required to post a 30.07, they can give you written or oral notice upon entering...which would be the same legal effect as posting a 30.07
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

You are correct in that the location does not openly prohibit open carry. However, it also likely that they figure that so few people will actually openly carry that it might be easier for them to just give oral notification to anyone that does so in their business. IMHO, it would be an extreme rarity that a business would ban concealed carry, but actually allow open carry.

Edit to add: It might also be worth considering whether or not the 30.06 sign has the current wording. They might have had that sign up before OC and simply not updated it to the current verbiage and are also ignorant of the signage required to ban OC.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I would suggest finding another hotel if possible or practical. I do understand sometimes you don't have a choice though. :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I just figure the businesses doing this realize that they can direct anyone open carrying to leave so they can just post the 30.06 and save the cost and space of another big old ugly sign.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

Yes, that means you can open carry ( except on college campi).

You will almost certainly get an oral notice which is then permanent.

So when you see a 30.06 and no 30.07 it's best not to oc simply to avoid the almost inevitable oral notice. But you are perfectly legal to do so.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Return to “New to CHL?”