Conceal carry at work

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts: 5069
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Conceal carry at work

Postby Liberty » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:23 am

NNT wrote:
If the LEO is not there on official business, do you not have the right to ask them to leave? If there on official business, then they are the authority for the moment. You can't fairly say 'I know a murder was committed on my property, but you have no right to be here, now go...'. But if they are not there on official business and wander onto your property and sit down on your deck to have lunch by your pool, you have a right to have them leave.


Even if they are on official business, I would think that we have a right to deny entry unless they have a warrant. A person could make entry conditional on the officer disarming themselves. I can't imagine this working out well though.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

tbrown
Senior Member
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Re: Conceal carry at work

Postby tbrown » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Liberty wrote:A person could make entry conditional on the officer disarming themselves. I can't imagine this working out well though.

Definitely not with a Texas legislature that doesn't respect private property rights.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 1979
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Conceal carry at work

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:32 pm

tbrown wrote:
Liberty wrote:A person could make entry conditional on the officer disarming themselves. I can't imagine this working out well though.

Definitely not with a Texas legislature that doesn't respect private property rights.


Can you clarify this comment? On the question of prohibiting guns, I think 30.06 / 30.07 strikes a balance that is far more in the favor of property rights than the 2A rights of customers, employees, and other visitors. Is this what you are referring to, or is it something else? If you are talking about EPA restrictions on the use of our property, I agree, but that is federal and not the state.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 1979
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Conceal carry at work

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:36 pm

My employer's policy says no guns, and then says that the penalty for violating the policy is punishment "up to and including termination". The policy is also technically in violation of Texas law since it says that you can be fired for having a gun in your car in the parking lot. Not sure if this alone would invalidate the entire policy under Texas law.

I am not planning to carry regardless because I like my job (at least most days). But I'm curious, Is this valid legal notice under 30.06 and/or 30.07?
Ding dong, the witch is dead


thetexan
Senior Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Re: Conceal carry at work

Postby thetexan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:27 am

Soccerdad1995 wrote:My employer's policy says no guns, and then says that the penalty for violating the policy is punishment "up to and including termination". The policy is also technically in violation of Texas law since it says that you can be fired for having a gun in your car in the parking lot. Not sure if this alone would invalidate the entire policy under Texas law.

I am not planning to carry regardless because I like my job (at least most days). But I'm curious, Is this valid legal notice under 30.06 and/or 30.07?


They have no legal muscle to stop you from having your gun in their parking lot by threat of statutory violation and consequent criminal or civil punishment.

Their only muscle is with the employer/employee relationship where, in Texas, by way of published employment practices, they do swing a big sword.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

User avatar

Middle Age Russ
Senior Member
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Spring-Woodlands

Re: Conceal carry at work

Postby Middle Age Russ » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:36 am

My employer's policy says no guns, and then says that the penalty for violating the policy is punishment "up to and including termination". The policy is also technically in violation of Texas law since it says that you can be fired for having a gun in your car in the parking lot. Not sure if this alone would invalidate the entire policy under Texas law.


The so-called Parking Lot law leaves a few exceptions in place for certain types of businesses such as refineries, chemical plants, etc... where carry is still prohibited. Noting these, if a parking lot has controlled access and is properly posted, it is prohibited to carry and perhaps to even have the firearm in your vehicle.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor


Return to “New to CHL?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest