Half Cock on Holstering

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Half Cock on Holstering

Post by AJSully421 »

Glock 19
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I am confused about the reluctance to use the manual safety. Using the safety eliminates the problem and danger that the OP is faced with.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

Liberty wrote:I am confused about the reluctance to use the manual safety. Using the safety eliminates the problem and danger that the OP is faced with.
I think that it's a matter of training and what a person gets used to doing.
No manual safety = one less step.
NRA Endowment Member

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

Liberty wrote:I am confused about the reluctance to use the manual safety. Using the safety eliminates the problem and danger that the OP is faced with.
As said above it is what you get used to. I carried 1911's for over a decade. When my health failed I begin carrying a J-Frame in my wheelchair rather than the 1911. I have been out of that wheelchair for many years now. I did what I said I would never do back in 1986 I bought a "plastic" gun. I carried the Glock for about 4 years, but just recently I went back to carrying my 1911. Whatever you carry get some training and then go practice what you were taught.

A lot of people have never heard that John Moses Browning's original design did not have the grip safety on the 1911. It was the Government that requested that safety. You see JMB design brought out with the Browning Hi-Power. By the way the liberals want to scream about "high capacity magazines." Well the original "high capacity magazines" came with the BHP in 1934 or 1935 which ever year you want to believe.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

Above all else, but a good GUN belt. Not just a stiff belt but a gun belt. I have paddle holsters also but they do not move because of the belt.
Get rid of the nylon holster!!!!
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Noggin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Noggin »

Let me try to summarize this thread:

1. My original question as to whether anyone else has had a similar problem seems to be a definite NO.

2. The generic nylon holster I have been using is a bad idea, it was never my first choice as I would have preferred to use the purpose built IMI moulded plastic model, which also has a latch that engages on the trigger guard to stop the pistol from falling out or being pulled out unless the release is pressed.

3. The key to using the IMI holster appears to be having a proper belt that is wide enough and strong enough. So that seems to be the core of the problem that I need to fix.

4. As to why the pistol has a half cock option may be less to do with safety than it is stripping. To strip the baby eagle you have to push the slide back about a 1/4 inch until a dot on the slide and a dot on the frame line up then you can push out the pin. Putting the hammer at half cock will slightly reduce the resistance while performing this procedure.

5. Why do I not simply keep the safety on when it is in the holster. As Wild Bill said that adds a procedure which I would rather avoid. This may be personal but I feel that the SA push down to release manual safety like on a 1911 is easier and more natural to use than the DA push up to release safety on the baby eagle and many other DA/SA pistols going all the way back to the Walther P38.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:I had a Tanfolglio CZ75 clone for a few years (which I carried on-duty when I worked armed response) - that pistol did the same thing since the slide could move even though the pistol was in Condition 1 (cocked and locked).

I ended up simply pressing my thumb against the rear of the slide whenever I reholstered it; problem solved.
Very interesting! Is the recoil spring on a full size CZ weaker than on a compact or sub-compact version?
There is no way that I can move the slide on my PX4 SC when holstering.
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “New to CHL?”