I got busted today...

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I got busted today...

Post by Liberty »

How we carry is a "system" there isn't a one method suits all. While some folks might not be comfortable with certain parts of the system, its how the carry works together along with how we train ourselves. For me my carry consists of parts that some might feel doesn't meet conveniontal wisdom.

My most often carry is a pistol taco. Nylon, inside the waist. DeSantis JIT. The carry gun is a subcompact Beretta storm. Nylon holsters are often criticized for poor retention and it's floppiness could activate the trigger. The advantage of this carry for me is that it is small lightweight and very concealable yet with a fairly accurate gun. I believe that it is a very safe, comfortable carry. The gun is DA/SA requiring a lengthy first shot trigger pull. It also has a manual safety. The weapon security is that it would require a substantial tug to un-release it and works well with just about any belt. I always remove the holster and rest my thumb on the gun to hoster the weapon

Another carry I use is my Beretta 92. carried in the infamous Blackhawk Serpa. The 92 FS is also DA/SA with an exposed hammer. It's a heavy gun and the holster carries it well. The gun is carried relatively high and conceals with just about any untucked shirt. The weight of it requires a substantial belt or a real gun belt. The Holster is plastic, although I don't believe it's technically Kydex. The Serpa is controversial if not hated by many in the gun community. My trigger finger naturally falls to the ready position (a take down button) and is guided by ridges on the holster. As in the above I always reholster on safe with the thumb on the exposed hammer. To me this is a safe and comfortable carry for such a heavy weapon.

My point is that there is no one carry method or gun for all. Mouse guns aren't for everyone, no one holster works for everyone.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

Liberty wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 am How we carry is a "system" there isn't a one method suits all. While some folks might not be comfortable with certain parts of the system, its how the carry works together along with how we train ourselves. For me my carry consists of parts that some might feel doesn't meet conveniontal wisdom.

My most often carry is a pistol taco. Nylon, inside the waist. DeSantis JIT. The carry gun is a subcompact Beretta storm. Nylon holsters are often criticized for poor retention and it's floppiness could activate the trigger. The advantage of this carry for me is that it is small lightweight and very concealable yet with a fairly accurate gun. I believe that it is a very safe, comfortable carry. The gun is DA/SA requiring a lengthy first shot trigger pull. It also has a manual safety. The weapon security is that it would require a substantial tug to un-release it and works well with just about any belt. I always remove the holster and rest my thumb on the gun to hoster the weapon

Another carry I use is my Beretta 92. carried in the infamous Blackhawk Serpa. The 92 FS is also DA/SA with an exposed hammer. It's a heavy gun and the holster carries it well. The gun is carried relatively high and conceals with just about any untucked shirt. The weight of it requires a substantial belt or a real gun belt. The Holster is plastic, although I don't believe it's technically Kydex. The Serpa is controversial if not hated by many in the gun community. My trigger finger naturally falls to the ready position (a take down button) and is guided by ridges on the holster. As in the above I always reholster on safe with the thumb on the exposed hammer. To me this is a safe and comfortable carry for such a heavy weapon.

My point is that there is no one carry method or gun for all. Mouse guns aren't for everyone, no one holster works for everyone.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
The decisions we make in deciding what and how to carry usually involve criteria that are unique and personal. I agree that "there isn't a one method suits all." Having said that, I also feel that there are some objective considerations that can inform our decisions. For instance, John Correia's Three Critical Qualities of a Decent Holster:
1. Covers the trigger guard completely. (and prevents access to the trigger)
2. Holds the gun securely.
3. Allows reliable, quick access to the gun. (safely)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox7GrdjqRXk

My system works for me. It probably would not work for Liberty and Liberty's would not work for me. My preferred carry method is to carry openly. I use a Kore Essentials leather gun belt to carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch Flat Dark Earth in a Safariland 7TS ALS with QLS and Guard. I also carry two 16 round magazine, pepper gel, phone, and a SOFTT-W. The ALS meets Correia's criteria and my needs.

My backup up gun is a Ruger LCR .38 with Crimson Trace in a Remora RFT pocket holster. The Remora does not meet Correia's criteria but it does meet my needs.

My system allows me to comfortably carry what I want to carry. Your mileage will vary and that is OK.

Be safe and carry.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott in Houston »

Winston wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:58 am Also don't feel bad about not carrying with a round in the chamber. It's also better safe than sorry. Sometimes getting use to handling your gun and learning more about gun safely before carrying a loaded weapon is ideal. Sometimes time is what's needed to become more confident in your abilities. I didn't keep a round in the chamber for over a year after purchasing my first pistol because it didn't feel safe. But once you start practicing carrying around the house and have more experience handling firearms then that fear will go away. I think every new persons fear with carrying a gun is that it will just go off all of a sudden. Once you practice and do it long enough that fear will go away.
I’m glad you’ve joined this forum and appreciate your enthusiasm.

I couldn’t disagree more about ‘not feeling bad about not having a round in the chamber’.
I do understand newer carriers’ fear of carrying sometimes, but I totally disagree that carrying in this manor is a good idea. In fact, I could make the case that you’re better off not carrying at all until you’re ok with a round in the chamber.

The main reason is that carrying without a round in the chamber, especially for newly licensed folks who are likely to have less training and skill, is a very dangerous thing. It provides to newer folks a false sense of security (most of the time). A false sense of security is dangerous. It may also have them react differently in an act of self defense which would be more harmful.
They may be better off fleeing or complying than trying to respond with their fire arm, that when a round isn’t chambered, is virtually useless.

As responsible 2A believing citizens, we need to be pushing the fact that carrying without a round in the chamber is not a good thing. We don’t want to coddle that mind set. Even those that train... which you’ll hear the term “Israeli Carry” are not as fast or safe as an average person with a round chambered. Additionally, virtually NOBODY, truly trains for “Israeli Carry”. It’s more of an internet keyboard warrior thing.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us. I train my folks to carry with a round in the chamber. After watching a plethora of fails on Active Self Protection and having my own epiphany about not always having the use of both hands or time to load, I carry a round in the chamber of my auto-loader and have all chambers of my backup revolver loaded. Works for me.

Two examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPiic-ELoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FXHVjXPtJk
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Winston
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Winston »

I agree that if you choose to carry a gun then it should always be loaded without any exceptions. I even keep every gun in my safe loaded just in case I need to grab one in an emergency.........but I think that advice still applies to some new gun owners. Why? Because I don't want them to shoot themselves or anyone else on accident! It's like driving I guess. When you're new then you're more prone to having accidents with you being the one at fault. But when you do it for a while then those chances drastically go down. Sure accidents still happen but with more experience then the chances of you being at fault for that accident is lowered. I just think time and practice is key to getting good at doing anything. Some of us just need to start out slower to make sure safety is always a priority. I know I took my time practicing before drawing and holstering my gun when I decided to try out appendix carry. And for good reason! lol I'm still extra cautious too when I do it with the gun loaded when I practice drawing and firing. Especially when I re holster the weapon! I'm not trying to become an Eunuch like Varys from Game of Thrones! lol
“The universe is hostile. So interpersonal. Devour to survive. So it is. So it’s always been.”

WildRose
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildRose »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:15 pm
Liberty wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 am How we carry is a "system" there isn't a one method suits all. While some folks might not be comfortable with certain parts of the system, its how the carry works together along with how we train ourselves. For me my carry consists of parts that some might feel doesn't meet conveniontal wisdom.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
The decisions we make in deciding what and how to carry usually involve criteria that are unique and personal. I agree that "there isn't a one method suits all." Having said that, I also feel that there are some objective considerations that can inform our decisions. For instance, John Correia's Three Critical Qualities of a Decent Holster:
1. Covers the trigger guard completely. (and prevents access to the trigger)
2. Holds the gun securely.
3. Allows reliable, quick access to the gun. (safely)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox7GrdjqRXk

My system works for me. It probably would not work for Liberty and Liberty's would not work for me. My preferred carry method is to carry openly. I use a Kore Essentials leather gun belt to carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch Flat Dark Earth in a Safariland 7TS ALS with QLS and Guard. I also carry two 16 round magazine, pepper gel, phone, and a SOFTT-W. The ALS meets Correia's criteria and my needs.

My backup up gun is a Ruger LCR .38 with Crimson Trace in a Remora RFT pocket holster. The Remora does not meet Correia's criteria but it does meet my needs.

My system allows me to comfortably carry what I want to carry. Your mileage will vary and that is OK.

Be safe and carry.
Well said.

For me it's
All of mine cover the trigger completely so that's a given.
Holds firearm securely
Uncomplicated, no tricky releases.
Comfortable to wear and shifts positions easily between driving, working, walking etc.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Danielsuzuki
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Danielsuzuki »

I’ve been spotted once or twice, usually getting out of my service van. It has gone smoothly as I recall.

I carry in a kydex awib at 12:30 and a kydex full pocket holster in left front.

Both are easy to get to and fast to deploy, and both chambers are loaded unless I’m cleaning them after weekly range and draw practice. I’m right handed, but I can get a shot on target faster with my left from the pocket.

Practice a lot and be aware.

Return to “New to CHL?”