I got busted today...

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Dcastrojr
Posts in topic: 1

I got busted today...

Post by Dcastrojr »

Im still very new to the concealed carry scene. I received my CHL in Feb. So I haven't even been carrying a year yet. Im so new, that the first week or two I didn't even carry around in the chamber till I was comfortable with my weapon and setup. I think I got lucky though because it was still a little chilly when I received my CHL, so I got to wear my hoodie often and that helped me get comfortable with carrying regularly . I do wear clothes that are a little more fitted to my body. So I was always concerned about "printing". Until today...

I'm buying some things from my local hardware store. I place my items on the counter. The cashier starts ringing my items up and right about the time she finishes she says "I see nobody is going to be robbing you anytime soon". At first I kind of gave her a puzzling look(I had no idea what she was talking about). Then she goes on to say "I see your package in the front". So I kinda just smirk and say "No I'm not". By this time she had finished ringing me up and I grabbed my things and left the store. As I'm leaving I didn't know what to think. I thought it was kinda funny the way she had mentioned "my package" but then on the other side she saw I was printing, but didn't really care too much because it was concealed and I wasn't breaking any laws.

From what I have read from other peoples experiences, most people won't catch you printing because they're so focused on what they have going on. Sometimes I myself have to do double takes when I see people open carrying cause I wasn't really paying attention. I know part of me says I need to be more tentative to how I'm carrying. Then the other part of me thinks as long as its concealed, and I'm allowed to be there while its concealed, who cares if I "print" every now and then. I guess it just comes with time. Has anyone else been called out?
Now I have to get back to my chores that I got from the hardware store. Just thought'd I would share. Thanks for reading.

Jusme

Re: I got busted today...

Post by Jusme »

No one has ever commented when I have CC but I know that I have printed badly. More than likely, the clerk may have been an LTC holder, or her husband is, and she was just a little more SA than most.
Don't sweat it, if someone does notice, be a good ambassador and use the opportunity to extol the positives of having an LTC.
I OC most of the time, that's changing with cooler weather, but most people never notice. It takes some time getting used to carrying, so just go with the flow. I have noticed several people CC but it's something I have trained myself to look for, starting as a LEO, and renewed as a LTC holder.

Edited to add: Welcome to the forum :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Dcastrojr wrote: ... but didn't really care too much because it was concealed ...
With OC legal now, I think you are correct that you were not breaking any laws, but if that cashier knew what it was then you were not concealed. However, I've been wrong before, so I'll defer to those that know better as to whether or not you were breaking any laws.

I have not been called out before because I've always been concealed except for the few times I have intentionally OCed. There is no law against printing, but prior to OC if it was discernible to the average person then it was not concealed. Now, though, with OC, I don't know any more. However, I would think that if your intention was to be concealed, then too much printing might not be very desirable.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I was helping my wife at the store she ownes when a gentleman approached her and asked if "the guy over there" (me) is licensed (guess my shirt came up a bit).

She smiled and replied "yes, we are". :mrgreen:

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I usually CC, i really dont care if I print or not! No one has ever said a thing to me...

If noone else is gonna say it, perhaps she wasnt talking about the gun!!! :smash: :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

parabelum wrote:I was helping my wife at the store she ownes when a gentleman approached her and asked if "the guy over there" (me) is licensed (guess my shirt came up a bit).

She smiled and replied "yes, we are". :mrgreen:
:lol:: I
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

If the clerk was that perceptive, maybe he or she was a fellow traveler, licensed and carrying.

KurtFTW

Post by KurtFTW »

I don't think I could ever not print unless I'm OC or OWB carrying. I have a IWB holster and carrying at the 5 o'clock position I still print in both shirt and jeans. My body type doesn't leave a lot of room around the waist. Large backside and wide hips. So unless I decided to carry a smaller gun I would have to either start wearing jackets more or shirts that I can keep unbuttoned and wear like a jacket. This is Texas and I'd rather not have to wear more layers than necessary, especially in the summer.

It is highly possible that either she herself or perhaps husband is a LTC holder or being a clerk she at some point might have been robbed before. That will make anyone more aware of their surroundings.
NRA 5 Year Member | Sig Sauer P320

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

If there is no 30.07 posted or you are not on Higher education campuses or any place where carrying is prohibited by law. You can carry theway your like, printing, partially visible in a holster, fully visible in a holster. No laws are broken.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I think that clerks in a small local retail establishment are a lot more likely to be sizing up each customer than almost anyone. The situational awareness of these people is a lot higher than the zombie patrols at Walmart.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

Anywhere you can carry concealed it is not unlawful for your gun's presence to be discernible underneath your clothes...as long as it is not physically visible.

You may even carry concealed and wear a shirt with lettering that has an arrow pointing down that says "gun, here".

This is because the only difference between a gun that legally concealed and one that is not is whether or not the gun is wholly or partially physically visible to a person in a public place, not whether it prints or not.

Do not fear printing. Printing does not have anything to do with the "concealedness" of your gun. Your gun is legally concealed if it is not intentionally wholly or partially PHYSICALLY displayed in plain view of another person in a public place. 46.035a

The only concern for discernibility during concealed carry is as it relates to stealth and how that fits into your carry philosophy.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Please remember, if some busybody attempts to interrogate you regarding your being licensed to carry - don't sweat it as it's highly unlikely.

You can politely rebuff them if it does happen with any number of good responses.

Off the top of me noggin some of my responses delivered with a smile might be: Does my gun make me look fat? Are you with Law Enforcement or are you just bored? Are personal questions a hobby? I'll pretend to answer, if you'll pretend you didn't ask. What's your favorite caliber?

The list of fun responses goes on and on and on..

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Liberty wrote:I think that clerks in a small local retail establishment are a lot more likely to be sizing up each customer than almost anyone. The situational awareness of these people is a lot higher than the zombie patrols at Walmart.
The weekend after Thanksgiving day, my wife and I took our RV to Lake Whitney for a few days. On Monday, we dropped in to the Texas Great Country Café & Pie Pantry for lunch. The place posted 30.07, and I was carrying my G19 concealed in a Safariland 6378 OWB holster — which doesn't exactly do a great job of hiding the outlines of a holstered pistol. I just don't care that much anymore as long as I'm compliant with the letter of the law. Concealed is concealed.......even when it's a terrible concealment job. So I'm wearing a flannel shirt for a cover garment, loosely draped over this contraption, and it was no doubt conspicuous to anyone who looks for that sort of thing. Truthfully though, very few people are looking for that sort of thing.

Keep in mind that I'm a lefty, and we were at a table against a wall, with my left side facing outward. Upon being seated, I immediately noticed a couple of younger men seated at the table to my left. The one who was seated at the same of their table as I was at ours, was obviously right handed — as evidenced by the obvious large framed semiauto on his right hip, "concealed" under a tightly fitting long-sleeved T-shirt. I'm not prepared to testify as to brand, model, or caliber, but I'm comfortable saying that it was a double-stack pistol of approximately 4.5" barrel length ; and it was even more poorly concealed than mine.

Neither his poorly concealed gun nor mine appeared to upset anyone, let alone the proprietors who had posted the 30.07 sign.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

I have printed pretty bad on occasion as well. I went to church one morning and I wore a shirt I hadn't worn in a while. After walking into church and sitting down I realized why I don't typically wear it after receiving my LTC and before I got my IWB holster. Nobody said anything to me about it, people didn't run out screaming. I did feel horrible because I was at church and they are posted 30.07. Needless to say I have not put on that shirt to go to church since.

I've also seen someone printing at walmart. I believe he was an off duty LEO based off of his shirt. I could tell he had a glock, not sure of the model and one of those serpa holsters. I was going to speak with him but this was during the dreaded school supplies trips to wally world.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

FAAPOD

Post by FAAPOD »

Abraham wrote:Please remember, if some busybody attempts to interrogate you regarding your being licensed to carry - don't sweat it as it's highly unlikely.

You can politely rebuff them if it does happen with any number of good responses.

Off the top of me noggin some of my responses delivered with a smile might be: Does my gun make me look fat? Are you with Law Enforcement or are you just bored? Are personal questions a hobby? I'll pretend to answer, if you'll pretend you didn't ask. What's your favorite caliber?

The list of fun responses goes on and on and on..
I'm so going to use one of these two if I ever get the chance.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “New to CHL?”