The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ianmko
Posts in topic: 1

Alternatives to 30.06

Post by ianmko »

Hi everyone!

Just passed my LTC course and submitted all the paperwork. One point the instructor made during the course is that 30.06 prohibits CC of handguns, but not of other legal defensive weapons like tasers, knives, pepper spray, etc.

I have no interest in violating the law, and sometimes I want to go to the theater, or the hospital, etc. late at night and I don't want to be defenseless. Do folks here know of any other laws that would prohibit the carrying of these kinds of weapons?

Thanks in advance!

Pawpaw

Re: Alternatives to 30.06

Post by Pawpaw »

ianmko wrote:Hi everyone!

Just passed my LTC course and submitted all the paperwork. One point the instructor made during the course is that 30.06 prohibits CC of handguns, but not of other legal defensive weapons like tasers, knives, pepper spray, etc.

I have no interest in violating the law, and sometimes I want to go to the theater, or the hospital, etc. late at night and I don't want to be defenseless. Do folks here know of any other laws that would prohibit the carrying of these kinds of weapons?

Thanks in advance!
Nope! There ain't none. :tiphat:

I always carry my automatic knife and have been known to carry a Kimber Pepper Blaster.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

You can also carry a concealed rifle past a valid 30.06 sign. But at a theater they might want to search your bag for food and could deny you entry if they happened to see the rifle.

Best alternative is to just not go. There are theatres that do not post 30.06 signage. Same goes for most other types of locations.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

ianmko wrote:Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!
The Texas Legislature is in session. Things will change.

First, review https://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms ... CHL-16.pdf.

CHL-16 references Texas Penal Title 10, Code Chapter 46 Weapons. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm

That should get you started.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

My laptop case I carry to hospitals which post 30.06+30.07 signs contains:
3 cans of HALT (Dog Pepper Sprat the Post office uses, shoots a stream instead of a mist or fog)
2 Kimber Pepper Blasters (each has 2 shots, think of it like a paintball filled with pebber spray)
1... 5-1/2 inch blade folding knife
1 Folded concealed rifle (Sub2000 Sub2k)
1 32 round magazine
2 20 round magazines
my tablet for playing games in waiting rooms
Pens & notepads for questions to ask and to write down what doctors say
maybe some candy or a water

Places like Courts, polling places, etc prohibit weapons but may have no signs, they don't have to post signs, learn "Places weapons prohibited" and pay attention to the definitions of weapons/prohibited weapons, firearms etc.
Also Federal places where employees are working ... unless excepted, are off limits to firearms or weapons or evil looks, or something

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

You should add a flashlight or two.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

None other than 46.05 and 46.041.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Return to “New to CHL?”