Question regarding back ground check on application

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ClintHTx
Posts in topic: 2

Question regarding back ground check on application

Post by ClintHTx »

I am in the process of getting my LTC. As a minor I recieved 2 charges one was a minor in possession of alcohol in possession which I obtained a disposition for. The other is criminal trespassing in which 3 years later I got a letter written from my lawyer that they believed it had been dismissed. Keep in mind this happened in 2005 while I was a juvenile. Here I am trying to complete my background information for a LTC. I can provide disposition for the MIP but can not get anyone to give me any information for the Criminal trespass. I understand your best bet would be to add it to criminal offenses than not to and let them find it but what if you can not peovie a disposition. I have a writtwn letter from the lawyer and that's it. What do you guys think?

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question regarding back ground check on application

Post by ninjabread »

Can you get written confirmation from the clerk that no record was found for the trespass?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Topic author
ClintHTx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ClintHTx »

Have no tried that yet. I have had several different offices do a search and they have found nothing. I guess the best bet would be to put it down and get a written letter saying it is not there? Not sure whether they would do that or not. I never got charged for anything. I was supposed to but fought it never appeared in court and eventually it got dropped 3 years later. Shouldn't there be some kind of record of it?

mccloven27

Post by mccloven27 »

I just got my LTC and had a similar issue. I was given a ticket for petty theft when I was 15. I listed this in the section that asks for any additional information (as I was unsure where else to list it) and they treated it as if it were an arrest. They sent me a letter asking for more information, so I called the county clerk where it happened and they could not find any record of it at all. After telling DPS this (by phone) they informed me I would need to get a "notarized official record of no record". I was able to obtain this from the count clerk where it happened. The county clerk told me it could be handled by mail but since I still have family in the area I just used it as an excuse to go visit. While there I had them run a felony and juvenile/misdemeanor check (they charged 5 bucks for each report) and submitted the documents to DPS. A bit of fair warning though after submitting the paperwork it still took over 5 months to get my license and even then only because I called multiple times to question the delay. Hope this helps

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

ANY arrest needs to be included, just because the charge was dismissed, an arrest was still made. Confirmation of dismissal or how the final outcome will still be needed. This includes a confirmation from the county in which it occurred that no record was to be found. I had a student in a similar situation and it did slow the process but he successfully received his CHL (that is what it was called then). Good luck, and be thorough, because there are no short-cuts.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “New to CHL?”