Vehicle Carry

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Alaska2texas
Posts in topic: 3

Vehicle Carry

Post by Alaska2texas »

Does anyone always have a seperate firearm that stays in the vehicle at all times besides the cc/oc on your person?

Thinking of getting one for my vehicle that will stay there for my comfort. Good idea, bad? Thanks!
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

The Annoyed Man

Re: Vehicle Carry

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Some do. And in a variation on that, some keep a long gun in the vehicle too. That said, I would NEVER leave that 2nd gun in the car overnight, where it could be stolen. So if you are carrying the gun back and forth between your front door and your car every day, you might as well carry the gun under authority of a license, and take it everywhere you go, car or not.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Alaska2texas

Post by Alaska2texas »

Thank you sir!

jweg84

Post by jweg84 »

Posted this as a response in your other thread but saw this one later.

I personally conceal carry most of the time (except at work) but I also keep a gun in my truck that stays there. My suggestion for a "truck gun" is one that you wont be overly sad about loosing. What I mean by that is, if someone breaks into your vehicle and stumbles upon that gun, you probably don't want them stealing a high dollar gun or one that would cost a ton to replace. My truck gun is a S&W SD9VE, I've found that it's a very reliable gun and it was extremely cheap so in the event someone breaks into my truck and it gets stolen, I wont be too upset that it's gone and could easily go out and purchase another. :txflag:
S&W M&P Shield 9mm rides around town in a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

I have a briefcase that goes most everywhere I do while at work. Inside isn't XD 45. This is in addition to my EDC
Last edited by RPBrown on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

casp625

Post by casp625 »

Alaska2texas wrote:Does anyone always have a seperate firearm that stays in the vehicle at all times besides the cc/oc on your person?

Thinking of getting one for my vehicle that will stay there for my comfort. Good idea, bad? Thanks!
My friend had a handgun stored in his vehicle and was stolen when his vehicle was burglarized. Needless to say, I don't keep a handgun stored overnight but I might consider it if I had a console vault.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I do but I park in my garage overnight. I might be more concerned about theft if I parked in my driveway and used my garage as a junk shed like many of my neighbors. :lol:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

We have a AR pistols as vehicle guns that we pack in and out everyday. I wouldn't leave a gun in our vehicles at night. We're way out in the country and the likelihood of someone breaking into our vehicles is low but I still don't want to risk it.

The AR pistols fits our niche just right. Covered under our LTC when my wife is at school and when I visit her, a rifle caliber (300 BO) and greater magazine capacity, and it is compact yet with the sling can be plenty accurate out to 150+ yards.

But I really would like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9zupahyE1s
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

tbrown wrote:I do but I park in my garage overnight. I might be more concerned about theft if I parked in my driveway and used my garage as a junk shed like many of my neighbors. :lol:

Same here....
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Zoo

Post by Zoo »

After the election I bought an AR pistol for less than $500. It's nothing fancy but it runs and provides some added comfort when I visit the human zoo.
The city is not a concrete jungle. It is a human zoo.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jweg84 wrote:Posted this as a response in your other thread but saw this one later.

I personally conceal carry most of the time (except at work) but I also keep a gun in my truck that stays there. My suggestion for a "truck gun" is one that you wont be overly sad about loosing. What I mean by that is, if someone breaks into your vehicle and stumbles upon that gun, you probably don't want them stealing a high dollar gun or one that would cost a ton to replace. My truck gun is a S&W SD9VE, I've found that it's a very reliable gun and it was extremely cheap so in the event someone breaks into my truck and it gets stolen, I wont be too upset that it's gone and could easily go out and purchase another. :txflag:
For me, it's not about the cost of the gun. I could replace most of the pistols I have fairly easily. They're nothing that special. But I hate like heck the idea of arming a thief.

THAT's why I won't leave a gun in a car parked where the gun (or the vehicle with the gun in it) could be stolen.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
jweg84 wrote:Posted this as a response in your other thread but saw this one later.

For me, it's not about the cost of the gun. I could replace most of the pistols I have fairly easily. They're nothing that special. But I hate like heck the idea of arming a thief.

THAT's why I won't leave a gun in a car parked where the gun (or the vehicle with the gun in it) could be stolen.
:iagree:

This, right there! My sentiments exactly!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

jweg84

Post by jweg84 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: For me, it's not about the cost of the gun. I could replace most of the pistols I have fairly easily. They're nothing that special. But I hate like heck the idea of arming a thief.

I never really looked at it from the perspective of arming a thief. However, if you think about it, is anywhere really safe from a thief? I mean, there are home burglaries all the time, unless you have all of your weapons stored in a locked safe; are they safe in your home? It's just as easy to break the glass on your home as it is to break the glass on your vehicle. I guess that's just a risk that i'm willing to take to be sure that no matter where I go I have a weapon with me even while I may not be carrying on my person.
S&W M&P Shield 9mm rides around town in a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

Topic author
Alaska2texas

Post by Alaska2texas »

I see points in everyones response and i thank you all for the input.

I guess my final decision is that i will carry my glock 23 everyday either on my person legally where i am able too or keep the firearm inside of my vehicle where 30.06/30.07 (both signs at the same location)

I feel relief as the place i mostly park has 24hr armed security and i always get a parking spot in the very front where my vehicle can be see/heard from basically anywhere. The front two window meet texas state law, but theyre barely legal, this is a classic "do the bare minimum" situation. :)

I see it as I can either have my firearm in the vehicle while I'm not allowed to have it in the building and then have the use of it when I am out, or leave it at home all day until i return home and hopefully i didnt have a life threating situation on the ride home and didnt have the self defense weapon.

Im going with the first option. Its in my personally owned vehicle and not out for anyone to know its there.

I also feel safe knowing its not at home while im away, the house is mocked cocked and ready to rock!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

In a previous life, I visited a lot of oil and chemical plants. Most of them had 30.06 signs at the gate and would sometimes do a search of my vehicle. My last vehicle was a Nitro, I would tuck the gun way under the seat. One would have to know where it was to fish it out. It's not the same as locking it up with a biometric safe. But a would be joyrider would be unlikely to find it.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “New to CHL?”