Vehicle Carry

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Vehicle Carry

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jweg84 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: For me, it's not about the cost of the gun. I could replace most of the pistols I have fairly easily. They're nothing that special. But I hate like heck the idea of arming a thief.

THAT's why I won't leave a gun in a car parked where the gun (or the vehicle with the gun in it) could be stolen.
I never really looked at it from the perspective of arming a thief. However, if you think about it, is anywhere really safe from a thief? I mean, there are home burglaries all the time, unless you have all of your weapons stored in a locked safe; are they safe in your home? It's just as easy to break the glass on your home as it is to break the glass on your vehicle. I guess that's just a risk that i'm willing to take to be sure that no matter where I go I have a weapon with me even while I may not be carrying on my person.
I realize that this doesn't work for everybody...... but when I was working, I was self employed and worked from home - seldom leaving except for the occasional client meeting, and even then, my wife was home. Now I'm retired, so nothing has changed. Also, I have an 850 lb safe, bolted to the floor. Sure, a safe can be defeated, but they'd have to work at it for a while......longer than they'd want to spend inside my house. I have a monitored burglar alarm system. I have a dog. Etc.

Leaving a gun in the car is MUCH riskier than keeping a gun in my house.

You've been a member since Nov of last year, so maybe you haven't seen any of these threads......but once or twice a year, a member here posts about having his gun stolen out of his vehicle, or having a friend who had a gun stolen out of his vehicle. It has happened to a friend of mine.......at church, no less......because he just never got around to actually finishing the CHL process and couldn't bring his pistol inside the building. Meanwhile, I was wearing mine on stage, at the same church......so there was no reason to not carry the gun inside other than laziness in getting his license.

I totally get the idea of having a gun in the car, but this is the world we live in, and I won't arm a thief. Not even with a long gun as a truck gun. I have several long guns that would be ideal truck guns, but I don't want them stolen. So my long truck gun is a folding 9mm carbine in a briefcase I can bring inside with me wherever I go - even if posted 30.06. But most of the time, I only have the gun I'm carrying, and it stays on my person.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Many us (me for one) also use lock boxes especially designed to hold a pistol inside our vehicle (they come in different sizes) cabled to something like seat frames.

Could a thief defeat it?

Sure, but they'd have to have the right tools, time and circumstance. Just like a gun safe in one's home.

About the only time I leave my Glock in my truck is when going to a doctors visit. In days gone by, I didn't have to do that as my doctors clinic had no 30.06 sign and he'd greet me with a smile and ask: You packing?
Ah, those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...

jweg84

Post by jweg84 »

Abraham wrote:Many us (me for one) also use lock boxes especially designed to hold a pistol inside our vehicle (they come in different sizes) cabled to something like seat frames.

Could a thief defeat it?

Sure, but they'd have to have the right tools, time and circumstance. Just like a gun safe in one's home.

About the only time I leave my Glock in my truck is when going to a doctors visit. In days gone by, I didn't have to do that as my doctors clinic had no 30.06 sign and he'd greet me with a smile and ask: You packing?
My fear with using a lock box in my vehicle is how easy would it be to access in a time of need? What kind of gun safe do you guys recommend? I would certainly want one that's quick to get into in the event I need to get to my gun in a hurry. I truly value the opinion and recommendations of you long time CHL/LTC holders. As TAM pointed out, I've only recently joined the forum (November) and I joined just after applying for my LTC so i'm still a rookie.

I'm actually going to start a new topic for suggestions on gun safe's/lock boxes so as not to hijack this thread looking for recommendations on a truck safe.
S&W M&P Shield 9mm rides around town in a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

My vehicle is old but it's still worth more than the gun inside.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

jweg84 wrote:
Abraham wrote:Many us (me for one) also use lock boxes especially designed to hold a pistol inside our vehicle (they come in different sizes) cabled to something like seat frames.

Could a thief defeat it?

My fear with using a lock box in my vehicle is how easy would it be to access in a time of need? What kind of gun safe do you guys recommend? I would certainly want one that's quick to get into in the event I need to get to my gun in a hurry. I truly value the opinion and recommendations of you long time CHL/LTC holders. As TAM pointed out, I've only recently joined the forum (November) and I joined just after applying for my LTC so i'm still a rookie.

I'm actually going to start a new topic for suggestions on gun safe's/lock boxes so as not to hijack this thread looking for recommendations on a truck safe.
My pistol is on my hip when I am in my vehicle. It is easily accessible to me. I only secure it in my vehicle if I must leave it there when I am away from home. For example, if I am visiting my mother in the hospital.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Matt78665

Post by Matt78665 »

I do not keep a gun overnight in my truck; I do have easy access devices I can mount my Glock on to while driving for quick aquisition
"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
St. Augustine

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Matt78665 wrote:I do not keep a gun overnight in my truck; I do have easy access devices I can mount my Glock on to while driving for quick aquisition
Come on now, don't tease us like that. You know a lot of here are suckers for random gun gear. Are you talking about under dash magnets and the like?

Matt78665

Post by Matt78665 »

Yes under dash magnet.........sorry did not mean to tease :)
"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
St. Augustine

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Matt78665 wrote:Yes under dash magnet.........sorry did not mean to tease :)
I've been wanting to try out one of those, but I don't have a lot of room under the dash, and I'm also afraid that the gun (or mount) could fall if I hit a hard bump, etc.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Matt78665 wrote:Yes under dash magnet.........sorry did not mean to tease :)
I've been wanting to try out one of those, but I don't have a lot of room under the dash, and I'm also afraid that the gun (or mount) could fall if I hit a hard bump, etc.
If a person doesn't drive like the Duke's of Hazard there shouldn't be that problem.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I have a spare pistol in my console safe...although it's just a hi point...has always been a truck gun...even before I had a console safe. I got the console safe to hold my carry gun if I had to disarm. I also have an AR, which is locked under the rear seat using a special lock I paid about 80 bucks for. I sometimes also carry a 22 rifle, that sits loose in the backseat.

I always figured losing the hi point was worth the risk. I never worried about a criminal getting a gun...there is a lot easier ways for criminals to steal guns that trying to guess what vehicle may have one. Also, although I am a life member of NRA, there are no stickers gun wise or otherwise on my truck.

I don't live in a big city though...not saying crime doesn't happen in smaller towns, but I worry about it less.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

Easyasmc

Post by Easyasmc »

Unfortunately I cannot carry my firearm except after work when I get home. My employer frowns upon firearms on the property. Hell, you cant even mistakenly have a loose round that you accidentally dropped in your vehicle from a weekend shoot. The punishment is severe and you have to go to court to plead your case. So, between the hours of 5:30 am and 3:30 pm, M-F, I am a helpless victim hahahaha!!!!!!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

They'd really freak out if in my back yard as it's full of spent casings of every imaginable caliber...kinda like a gun range...ah, yeah, I shoot in my back yard.

GreenMan0352

Post by GreenMan0352 »

I always keep a Rossi .357 magnum in my glove compartment as well as extra ammo. I'm not worried about it being stolen as I live in a small town but I do keep the glove compartment locked and my vehicle locked at all times regardless of how small it is here. I use to carry a Scorpion Evo pistol under the back seat but got tired of loading it on and off the vehicle every day. I have been wanting to carry my Mossberg Shockwave but I need to see where I would store it first so I could easily access it if needed.

I keep that revolver at all times there though day or night because I paid $200 for it about 11 years ago so if it were stolen it wouldn't be as big a loss as say a Wilson Combat. Granted I would still be mad if it were stolen but the loss wouldn't be as big. For me the added security is worth it.

GreenMan0352

Post by GreenMan0352 »

Easyasmc wrote:Unfortunately I cannot carry my firearm except after work when I get home. My employer frowns upon firearms on the property. heck, you cant even mistakenly have a loose round that you accidentally dropped in your vehicle from a weekend shoot. The punishment is severe and you have to go to court to plead your case. So, between the hours of 5:30 am and 3:30 pm, M-F, I am a helpless victim hahahaha!!!!!!

Where do you work? I thought employers weren't allowed to do anything concerning your personal vehicle if you have a LTC. I read it in the TX labor code section 52.061

Return to “New to CHL?”