Chl and a DUI

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Willis9965
Posts in topic: 1

Chl and a DUI

Post by Willis9965 »

In 2013 recieved a DUI in Illinois. I plead guilty and got court supervision. I completed the supervison and when my record is pulled it shows i have a dui in 2013 but it says No Conviction. Am I eligible for a CHL here in texas????

Keith B

Re: Chl and a DUI

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

Here is a good article on different types of court supervision https://www.dennisdwyerlaw.com/dui-cour ... n-illinois

It appears with the no conviction it is basically dismissed after you have been clear for a year. So, I would say you should be good to go if you have no other disqualifiers.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

ela10 wrote:
Willis9965 wrote:In 2013 recieved a DUI in Illinois. I plead guilty and got court supervision. I completed the supervison and when my record is pulled it shows i have a dui Class in 2013 but it says No Conviction. Am I eligible for a CHL here in texas????
Hi
DWI is classified as a Class B misdemeanor according to Texas DUI law and you are ineligible for a license for five years after a conviction for a Class A or Class B misdemeanor, but as you said you have completed the supervision of 5 years and probation of whole DUI conviction so now you eligible for a Concealed Handgun License in Texas.
Uh, five years probation would be 2018 at minimum. If it actually shows "No Conviction", then IMHO, you should be good to go. Ineligibility occurs upon conviction or during pending charges. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advise, however, I do accept donations. :lol:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Odd, the priorities in the law. Our local county judge got arrested and, I think, charged with DWI. He's apologized for his actions but is going to continue to serve.

He's a good man and strongly in favor of limited government and all our civil rights. I believe he should step down, but I hate losing an advocate in public office.

Anyway, it's odd to think of a judge that can't pass a gun background check but can continue to hear cases.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

treadlightly wrote:Odd, the priorities in the law. Our local county judge got arrested and, I think, charged with DWI. He's apologized for his actions but is going to continue to serve.

He's a good man and strongly in favor of limited government and all our civil rights. I believe he should step down, but I hate losing an advocate in public office.

Anyway, it's odd to think of a judge that can't pass a gun background check but can continue to hear cases.
He can pass a purchase background check, just not a Texas LTC one.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “New to CHL?”