Green/Red chamber

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts: 5368
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby Liberty » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:35 am

I understand the original posers reluctance to chambering his Glock while carrying. I wouldn't carry carry one in such condition. The thing is that a Glock is a terrible choice for ones first carry, The OP should get rid of the Glock and find a gun with a proper hammer and thumb operated safety. I don't know how the OP came to the decision that he should purchase a Glock, but if he did so on a recommendation from his friends they did him a disservice. Glocks are not for everyone. Those who choose Glocks should be very aware of their safety issues and risks.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy


Papa_Tiger
Senior Member
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby Papa_Tiger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:13 am

Liberty wrote:I understand the original posers reluctance to chambering his Glock while carrying. I wouldn't carry carry one in such condition. The thing is that a Glock is a terrible choice for ones first carry, The OP should get rid of the Glock and find a gun with a proper hammer and thumb operated safety. I don't know how the OP came to the decision that he should purchase a Glock, but if he did so on a recommendation from his friends they did him a disservice. Glocks are not for everyone. Those who choose Glocks should be very aware of their safety issues and risks.
Replace Glock with "striker fired pistol without a manual safety". I disagree completely with the part in red and agree completely with the part in blue. There is nothing inherently wrong with a striker fired pistol without a manual or thumb safety nor are they more dangerous when used and carried properly than any other firearm. Using and carrying them requires the bearer to be aware of the safety issues and train with them appropriately, just as one should be aware of the safety issues and train appropriately when carrying any type of firearm.

One could say that a hammer fired pistol with a manual thumb safety is a terrible choice for one's first carry weapon as it requires more training to USE if the need arises. Same thing with DA/SA firearms without a safety. It all comes down to a matter of practice, training and familiarity with your weapon of choice.

User avatar

apvonkanel
Member
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:10 pm

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby apvonkanel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 am

Papa_Tiger wrote:
Liberty wrote:I understand the original posers reluctance to chambering his Glock while carrying. I wouldn't carry carry one in such condition. The thing is that a Glock is a terrible choice for ones first carry, The OP should get rid of the Glock and find a gun with a proper hammer and thumb operated safety. I don't know how the OP came to the decision that he should purchase a Glock, but if he did so on a recommendation from his friends they did him a disservice. Glocks are not for everyone. Those who choose Glocks should be very aware of their safety issues and risks.
Replace Glock with "striker fired pistol without a manual safety". I disagree completely with the part in red and agree completely with the part in blue. There is nothing inherently wrong with a striker fired pistol without a manual or thumb safety nor are they more dangerous when used and carried properly than any other firearm. Using and carrying them requires the bearer to be aware of the safety issues and train with them appropriately, just as one should be aware of the safety issues and train appropriately when carrying any type of firearm.

One could say that a hammer fired pistol with a manual thumb safety is a terrible choice for one's first carry weapon as it requires more training to USE if the need arises. Same thing with DA/SA firearms without a safety. It all comes down to a matter of practice, training and familiarity with your weapon of choice.


I agree with this completely. I carry a striker fired. Proper training and practice with the thumb safety (along with a trigger job to clean up and reduce the pull) and I'm better with it than I am with any other pistol I've shot. With proper training and frequent practice, hammer vs. striker fired isn't an issue. It's "can it be carried safely and fired quickly at the desired target"
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9


treadlightly
Senior Member
Posts: 1116
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby treadlightly » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 am

A short throw trigger without a manual safety that's separate from the trigger is a risk. Recognize risks and work around them, that's the need with any gun.

Glock purists seem to hate The Gadget, featured in NRA's Gun Gear of the Week today, but I don't understand why. It lets your thumb monitor and override unwanted motion of the trigger.

If they made one for the P320 I'd get it.

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts: 5368
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby Liberty » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:00 pm

apvonkanel wrote:I agree with this completely. I carry a striker fired. Proper training and practice with the thumb safety (along with a trigger job to clean up and reduce the pull) and I'm better with it than I am with any other pistol I've shot. With proper training and frequent practice, hammer vs. striker fired isn't an issue. It's "can it be carried safely and fired quickly at the desired target"

I don't disagree, but my feeling is that most first time licensed carriers won't have the training and practice behind them. There isn't as much margin for error for a new inexperienced carrier. This thread is about a new totter who may be aware of the narrowed margin of safety and is so concerned that he is reluctant about carrying with one in the pipe. His concern could be relieved if he was carrying an appropriate gun.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

Gunner4640
Senior Member
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:57 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby Gunner4640 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:31 am

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Chambered round, safety on, every day here.

:iagree: an empty chamber equals your dead
Dave & Wife NRA Members
S&W 686 .357- Beretta- 9mm> Ruger SR1911 5" & Commander> Stag Ar-15 &- Colt 1911> CZ Redhead Deluxe 12 ga O/U A firing 1907 Stevens .22 pump. and Marlin .22 rifle-Grandfathers .38 5 shot US Revolver break open.


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 6945
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby Abraham » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:40 pm

"His concern could be relieved if he was carrying an appropriate gun."

Oh boy...

Grey Poupon anyone?

User avatar

Javier730
Senior Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:29 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby Javier730 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Rack the slide and carry with one in the chamber. It'll be okay. Don't forget to post your Glock leg story though. :evil2:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 6945
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby Abraham » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:09 pm

Glock leg sounds akin to "his gun went off".

Nope.

People are careless.

It's not the poor old Glock' fault if someone is careless. Come here boy, it's o.k., people callin you names when theys dumb enough to pull your trigger when you look at their leg, poor dear...

How about Remington 700 chest shot? Hey, it just went off...darn tootin, we call Remington 700 chest...

Or Ruger arm as in his pistol went kaboom and killed a person. Durn old Ruger arm...

Glock leg my eye.

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts: 5368
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby Liberty » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Abraham wrote:
Glock leg my eye.

or Glock leg my ...... Holster?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy


hovercat
Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:36 am
Location: Pantego, TX

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby hovercat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:38 pm

I have watched the guys who do quick draw with single action revolvers practice. Wax bullets and chaps, and the chaps have quite a few streaks of wax on them. Drawing any handgun when trying to use it quickly is inherently dangerous.


treadlightly
Senior Member
Posts: 1116
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Green/Red chamber

Postby treadlightly » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:06 pm

hovercat wrote:I have watched the guys who do quick draw with single action revolvers practice. Wax bullets and chaps, and the chaps have quite a few streaks of wax on them. Drawing any handgun when trying to use it quickly is inherently dangerous.


Amen to that. Break the draw down to steps, insuring you don't sweep body parts, practice slow. Don't try to draw for speed until it's all hardwired in muscle memory, and never move faster than you can move safely.

Shooting yourself in a gunfight is not good style.


Return to “New to CHL?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest