Anyone been challenged by LE with Virginia non-res

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Beltboy
Posts in topic: 2

Anyone been challenged by LE with Virginia non-res

Post by Beltboy »

Has anyone actually been challenged by law enforcement when They presented their Virginia non-resident Chl? Can you share experience good, bad, ugly, neutral?
Thanks

rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone been challenged by LE with Virginia non-res

Post by rtschl »

Welcome to the forum Beltboy!

There have been several threads (or comments in threads with LEO encounters) here that people have responded to that question. I don't remember anyone having any specific issue with having a non resident out of state permit. Did something happen to you that you could elaborate.

And just so I can beat ScottDLS to it: an out of state permit does not exempt you from the Federal Gun Free Safe School Zones Act of 1995 (GFSZA).
Ron
NRA Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rtschl wrote:Welcome to the forum Beltboy!

There have been several threads (or comments in threads with LEO encounters) here that people have responded to that question. I don't remember anyone having any specific issue with having a non resident out of state permit. Did something happen to you that you could elaborate.

And just so I can beat ScottDLS to it: an out of state permit does not exempt you from the Federal Gun Free Safe School Zones Act of 1995 (GFSZA).
Yes, but unless the arresting officer has a Texas LTC, then he would also be in violation of the GFSZA, so you could make a citizen's "re-arrest" of that officer and another LTC holding officer would have to come and give you both "the ride" to a shared jail cell.

To the OP, I am not aware of any recent posts about LEO's giving folks grief for having a non-resident, non-Texas LTC equivalent. Most interactions with police tend to be traffic stops where you don't need any type of permit to carry in your vehicle in the first place, or at home, where the same would be true. But there are some uninformed LEO's out there, so I could see someone possibly getting some grief over this. Oh, and welcome!

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rtschl wrote:Welcome to the forum Beltboy!

Yes, but unless the arresting officer has a Texas LTC, then he would also be in violation of the GFSZA, so you could make a citizen's "re-arrest" of that officer and another LTC holding officer would have to come and give you both "the ride" to a shared jail cell.

To the OP, I am not aware of any recent posts about LEO's giving folks grief for having a non-resident, non-Texas LTC equivalent. Most interactions with police tend to be traffic stops where you don't need any type of permit to carry in your vehicle in the first place, or at home, where the same would be true. But there are some uninformed LEO's out there, so I could see someone possibly getting some grief over this. Oh, and welcome!
The cop would be violating GFSZA if he was not on "acting in an official capacity".
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Beltboy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beltboy »

Thx all for the replays.
No direct basis for my question, just new to the chl world and before moving forward with the non resident Virginia route, wanted to have more of a convidence that if challenged by an officer there would be little issue.
If I ever had to actually use it my firearm and it became an issue, I'm sure I would simply care more about being alive or of my families well being vs any consequences. Nonetheless I don't want any consequences just for carrying.

Regarding the GFSZA.... i get that I would not be excerpt, but what exactly is the act saying one can/cannot/has/doesn't have to do?
Thank you all in advance for the patience of a newbie!

After the shooting last night at the bar in Arlington ( to which I was at the gym next door hrs before, and coincidently work blocks away from the shooting at northlake jr college....getting to close to real and think It's time to get legal.

Return to “New to CHL?”