One in the pipe for newbies like me

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Alaska2texas

One in the pipe for newbies like me

Postby Alaska2texas » Thu May 04, 2017 3:11 pm

:cool:

So I've been carrying out for a couple of months and for that duration of that time I have been carrying with one in the pipe of my Glock 33 nine round magazine plus one in the chamber.

Like all of the other new guys I was always afraid to walk around with one loaded just in case magically it went off.

I just wanted to let the new guys know like I had to learn as long as you have a good holster I have a Kydex, and it covers the trigger guard there is no way that the trigger will be polled unless it is by a human hand. My buyer or trigger pull is 5.5 pounds before the striker hits, that is basically someone trying to pull it with their finger. One way that I got comfortable with it was to think before I had a round in the chamber, was there ever a time that I would remove my gun from the holster and the trigger was pulled? NEVER. I have learned from other people on this site that if you're walking around open carry or concealed carry without one ready to go, you have already lost the battle have you ever come in confrontation with someone that is ready to harm you because chances are their firearm is already ready to go.

My point being is that you can always have one ready to go just never remove your firearm from the holster unless you plan on using it to defend your life. Even when i get home and removed from IWB, it never leaves the holster.

Cheers and carry on!!!
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

crazy2medic

Re: One in the pipe for newbies like me

Postby crazy2medic » Thu May 04, 2017 3:19 pm

The gun doesn't leave the holster unless you intend to use it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention

ScottDLS

Postby ScottDLS » Thu May 04, 2017 3:20 pm

My gun leaves the holster when I get ready to clean it, or put in in my safe... ;-)
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Alaska2texas

Postby Alaska2texas » Thu May 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Alaska2texas wrote::cool:

So I've been carrying out for a couple of months and for that duration of that time I have been carrying with one in the pipe of my Glock 33 nine round magazine plus one in the chamber.

Like all of the other new guys I was always afraid to walk around with one loaded just in case magically it went off.

I just wanted to let the new guys know like I had to learn as long as you have a good holster I have a Kydex, and it covers the trigger guard there is no way that the trigger will be polled unless it is by a human hand. My buyer or trigger pull is 5.5 pounds before the striker hits, that is basically someone trying to pull it with their finger. One way that I got comfortable with it was to think before I had a round in the chamber, was there ever a time that I would remove my gun from the holster and the trigger was pulled? NEVER. I have learned from other people on this site that if you're walking around open carry or concealed carry without one ready to go, you have already lost the battle have you ever come in confrontation with someone that is ready to harm you because chances are their firearm is already ready to go.

My point being is that you can always have one ready to go just never remove your firearm from the holster unless you plan on using it to defend your life. Even when i get home and removed from IWB, it never leaves the holster.

Cheers and carry on!!!

I hope everyone can excuse my spelling I use talk to text sometimes when I'm lazy Haha
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

RossA

Postby RossA » Thu May 04, 2017 3:54 pm

My gun comes out of the holster when it is off of my body at home. I don't leave it in the holster when it is just laying there. If I have to grab it with one hand, I don't want anything between me and the gun.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

bblhd672

Postby bblhd672 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:05 pm

RossA wrote:My gun comes out of the holster when it is off of my body at home. I don't leave it in the holster when it is just laying there. If I have to grab it with one hand, I don't want anything between me and the gun.

Same here. Gun laying in holster requires two hands to bring to ready position - one to hold holster and one to draw. I prefer to keep one hand free for using my flashlight.

Obviously if you have some sort of holster bracket that you attach the holster to when it is off your body then this wouldn't apply.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee

crazy2medic

Postby crazy2medic » Thu May 04, 2017 5:25 pm

I was referring to carrying about town, at home mine is on the nightstand with a spare mag at the ready no holster :banghead:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention

G26ster

Postby G26ster » Thu May 04, 2017 6:50 pm

:shock: So what happens if you decide to light your "pipe." :blowup

:biggrinjester:

RogueUSMC

Postby RogueUSMC » Fri May 05, 2017 8:09 am

G26ster wrote::shock: So what happens if you decide to light your "pipe." :blowup

:biggrinjester:

Be confident of your backstop?
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

oljames3

Postby oljames3 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:12 am

RossA wrote:My gun comes out of the holster when it is off of my body at home. I don't leave it in the holster when it is just laying there. If I have to grab it with one hand, I don't want anything between me and the gun.

There are many things I really like about my Safariland ALS 7378 holster. One is that I can draw one-handed when the holster is off of my belt.

You use your thumb to release the ALS retention which pushes the holster off of the pistol with the holster is not attached to the belt.

I also use the QLS attachment so that I can attach and detach the holster from my belt without unbuckling.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “New to CHL?”