The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Alaska2texas
Posts in topic: 2

One in the pipe for newbies like me

Post by Alaska2texas »

:cool:

So I've been carrying out for a couple of months and for that duration of that time I have been carrying with one in the pipe of my Glock 33 nine round magazine plus one in the chamber.

Like all of the other new guys I was always afraid to walk around with one loaded just in case magically it went off.

I just wanted to let the new guys know like I had to learn as long as you have a good holster I have a Kydex, and it covers the trigger guard there is no way that the trigger will be polled unless it is by a human hand. My buyer or trigger pull is 5.5 pounds before the striker hits, that is basically someone trying to pull it with their finger. One way that I got comfortable with it was to think before I had a round in the chamber, was there ever a time that I would remove my gun from the holster and the trigger was pulled? NEVER. I have learned from other people on this site that if you're walking around open carry or concealed carry without one ready to go, you have already lost the battle have you ever come in confrontation with someone that is ready to harm you because chances are their firearm is already ready to go.

My point being is that you can always have one ready to go just never remove your firearm from the holster unless you plan on using it to defend your life. Even when i get home and removed from IWB, it never leaves the holster.

Cheers and carry on!!!
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

crazy2medic

Re: One in the pipe for newbies like me

Post by crazy2medic »

The gun doesn't leave the holster unless you intend to use it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

My gun leaves the holster when I get ready to clean it, or put in in my safe... ;-)
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Alaska2texas

Post by Alaska2texas »

Alaska2texas wrote::cool:

So I've been carrying out for a couple of months and for that duration of that time I have been carrying with one in the pipe of my Glock 33 nine round magazine plus one in the chamber.

Like all of the other new guys I was always afraid to walk around with one loaded just in case magically it went off.

I just wanted to let the new guys know like I had to learn as long as you have a good holster I have a Kydex, and it covers the trigger guard there is no way that the trigger will be polled unless it is by a human hand. My buyer or trigger pull is 5.5 pounds before the striker hits, that is basically someone trying to pull it with their finger. One way that I got comfortable with it was to think before I had a round in the chamber, was there ever a time that I would remove my gun from the holster and the trigger was pulled? NEVER. I have learned from other people on this site that if you're walking around open carry or concealed carry without one ready to go, you have already lost the battle have you ever come in confrontation with someone that is ready to harm you because chances are their firearm is already ready to go.

My point being is that you can always have one ready to go just never remove your firearm from the holster unless you plan on using it to defend your life. Even when i get home and removed from IWB, it never leaves the holster.

Cheers and carry on!!!
I hope everyone can excuse my spelling I use talk to text sometimes when I'm lazy Haha
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

My gun comes out of the holster when it is off of my body at home. I don't leave it in the holster when it is just laying there. If I have to grab it with one hand, I don't want anything between me and the gun.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

RossA wrote:My gun comes out of the holster when it is off of my body at home. I don't leave it in the holster when it is just laying there. If I have to grab it with one hand, I don't want anything between me and the gun.
Same here. Gun laying in holster requires two hands to bring to ready position - one to hold holster and one to draw. I prefer to keep one hand free for using my flashlight.

Obviously if you have some sort of holster bracket that you attach the holster to when it is off your body then this wouldn't apply.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I was referring to carrying about town, at home mine is on the nightstand with a spare mag at the ready no holster :banghead:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

:shock: So what happens if you decide to light your "pipe." :blowup

:biggrinjester:

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

G26ster wrote::shock: So what happens if you decide to light your "pipe." :blowup

:biggrinjester:
Be confident of your backstop?
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

RossA wrote:My gun comes out of the holster when it is off of my body at home. I don't leave it in the holster when it is just laying there. If I have to grab it with one hand, I don't want anything between me and the gun.
There are many things I really like about my Safariland ALS 7378 holster. One is that I can draw one-handed when the holster is off of my belt.

You use your thumb to release the ALS retention which pushes the holster off of the pistol with the holster is not attached to the belt.

I also use the QLS attachment so that I can attach and detach the holster from my belt without unbuckling.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

thetexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thetexan »

Yes, never draw the weapon unless you are prepared to used it...even as a threat against force as per 9.04. And even then the very last thing one does before firing is to put the finger on the trigger. At all other times...and I mean ALL OTHER TIMES....the finger is indexed against the side of the frame away from the trigger.

But what I have learned from teaching countless numbers of students is that most are frightfully improficient at using the gun if and when it is necessary to use it. And most don't even understand why this is. This is something I teach in tactical training classes.

There are several parts to the concept of having a "effectively usable" firearm when it becomes necessary to use it. Having a round in the chamber is only one of these parts and, ironically, the last on the list of these parts. If you are not proficient with the other skills you will fail with the gun long before you get to the part where having a round in the chamber makes a difference.

Let's take concealed carry with a gun in a belt holster for example. Here is a list of skills you must master to use the weapon effectively...

1. Making a "space" and "time" determination. Do you have adaquate space between you and the attacker and do you have the time to use the gun.
2. Getting your shirt out of the way so that you can get to the gun
3. Getting your shooting hand from where ever it happens to be at the time of the realization you are being attacked to the vicinity of the gun
4. Placing your drawing hand perfectly onto the gun in preparation for extraction
5. Extracting the gun smoothly while keeping your trigger finger off the trigger
6. Going from the extract position to a position where is the gun is in the quickest, most usable position for firing with the most economy of movement and time
7. Selecting from one of several ultimate firing positions based on what the immediate scenario calls upon.
8. NOW IT MATTERS IF THERE IS A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER!!!

If you are a woman...

3. Getting you gun out of your purse quickly without killing yourself in the process.

All of these tasks must be performed skillfully and proficiently when needed or else that LTC license you are so proud may be giving you a false sense of security. In fact, most times, someone who is dreadful at these skills may be better off just leaving the gun alone because you will just make the attacker madder by insulting his intelligence by trying to convince him you are a threat. He may, in fact, just take your gun that you are struggling to grab and use it on you!!

That is why I tell all of my students that the most import piece of equipment you can own is a blue gun that is a replica of your carry gun. Each of the above skills need to be rehearsed a thousand times, individually, and together, until you are an actual competent, proficient defensive threat with your weapon. And the great thing about the blue gun is that this can be practiced at home, over and over, and over and over and over....and did I mention....and over again!

THEN, and only then, will it matter if there is round in the chamber. Otherwise you might very well be more dangerous to yourself and others with a live gun you are not really able to safely use.

The thing that worries me the most about teaching people about LTC is the fact that so many of them get the license and stop learning at that point. They rarely practice....anything....even shooting. When they practice shooting they shoot one shot at a time rather than the more realistic two or three round bursts that will occur during an attack. They tend to leave class and not continue their academic learning also. Just because you have a right to carry a gun doesn't mean you should carry a gun irresponsibly or incompetently or improficiently.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

thetexan wrote:Yes, never draw the weapon unless you are prepared to used it...even as a threat against force as per 9.04. And even then the very last thing one does before firing is to put the finger on the trigger. At all other times...and I mean ALL OTHER TIMES....the finger is indexed against the side of the frame away from the trigger.

But what I have learned from teaching countless numbers of students is that most are frightfully improficient at using the gun if and when it is necessary to use it. And most don't even understand why this is. This is something I teach in tactical training classes.

There are several parts to the concept of having a "effectively usable" firearm when it becomes necessary to use it. Having a round in the chamber is only one of these parts and, ironically, the last on the list of these parts. If you are not proficient with the other skills you will fail with the gun long before you get to the part where having a round in the chamber makes a difference.

Let's take concealed carry with a gun in a belt holster for example. Here is a list of skills you must master to use the weapon effectively...

1. Making a "space" and "time" determination. Do you have adaquate space between you and the attacker and do you have the time to use the gun.
2. Getting your shirt out of the way so that you can get to the gun
3. Getting your shooting hand from where ever it happens to be at the time of the realization you are being attacked to the vicinity of the gun
4. Placing your drawing hand perfectly onto the gun in preparation for extraction
5. Extracting the gun smoothly while keeping your trigger finger off the trigger
6. Going from the extract position to a position where is the gun is in the quickest, most usable position for firing with the most economy of movement and time
7. Selecting from one of several ultimate firing positions based on what the immediate scenario calls upon.
8. NOW IT MATTERS IF THERE IS A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER!!!

If you are a woman...

3. Getting you gun out of your purse quickly without killing yourself in the process.

All of these tasks must be performed skillfully and proficiently when needed or else that LTC license you are so proud of is giving you a false sense of security. In fact, most times, someone who is dreadful at these skills may be better off just leaving the gun alone because you will just make the attacker madder by insulting his intelligence by trying to convince him you are a threat. He may, in fact, just take your gun that you are struggling to grab and use it on you!!

That is why I tell all of my students that the most import piece of equipment you can own is a blue gun that is a replica of your carry gun. Each of the above skills need to be rehearsed a thousand times, individually, and together, until you are an actual competent, proficient defensive threat with your weapon. And the great thing about the blue gun is that this can be practiced at home, over and over, and over and over and over....and did I mention....and over again!

THEN, and only then, will it matter if there is round in the chamber. Otherwise you might very well be more dangerous to yourself and others with a live gun you are not really able to safely use.

tex
My wife is more proficient with her Glock 43 then many guys I've seen, but alas...

My opinion is that folks tend to overthink scenarios. Makes for great class discussion though. Statistically, there are infinite number of permutations and variables that go into play with a self defense scenario. Train and be proficient with your gun. Always carry piped.
Think, but don't overthink.

"To think too much is a disease."
Fyodor Dostoyevsky

thetexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thetexan »

Oh I agree. One can overthink all of this.

HOWEVER....

We seem to bounce between two extremes. Either LTCers overthink the scenario or they do little or no training. You can never over train, in my opinion but there is a minimum level of competency needed. But you can not NOT train and expect that you will be skillfully equipped to meet most defense situations.

And its my experience that most do not train...at all!

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

thetexan wrote:Oh I agree. One can overthink all of this.

HOWEVER....

We seem to bounce between two extremes. Either LTCers overthink the scenario or they do little or no training. You can never over train, in my opinion but there is a minimum level of competency needed. But you can not NOT train and expect that you will be skillfully equipped to meet most defense situations.

And its my experience that most do not train...at all!

tex
Minimum Competency. 2 links. John Daub, trainer at KRTraining.
https://blog.hsoi.com/2013/07/11/minimu ... ve-pistol/
https://blog.hsoi.com/2014/03/15/minimu ... revisited/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Training is good, more training is better. All the same we can't discount the fact that there are over a million LTC holders in Texas, many, if not most of us have not received any outside formal training. There are incidences reported in the media where an LTC holder has had positive results and very few where the LTC reactions had a negative result. Our record is pretty good.

Practice and range work should be encouraged by all. I believe that every LTC holder should log on to this Forum. It is a great way to learn the nuances of the law, where to get more training, and on the equipment and carry methods.

Most LTC holders and the newer ones in particular could use some practical training, but we aren't interested in becoming SEAL trained operators.

Some basic things I have found useful in training are:

Drawing: safely and the slow is smooth and smooth is fast lessons.
Carry options: like different guns holsters ammo etc.
Practical Deadly force law.(Thanks Mr. Cotton)
Moving target.

Basic things I've learned here are:
OODA loop
Awareness and Red yellow and white
Safety concerns of various carries.
Lessons learned from others mistakes.
Changes in the law as it effects legal self defense.

The fact is that so much training is expensive, far away and time consuming that it loses priority to many folks. Many ranges discourage drawing from a holster and rapid fire.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “New to CHL?”