One in the pipe for newbies like me

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 1

Re: One in the pipe for newbies like me

Post by canvasbck »

Liberty wrote:
The fact is that so much training is expensive, far away and time consuming that it loses priority to many folks. Many ranges discourage drawing from a holster and rapid fire.
I agree with everything you said up until this sentence.

Dry firing is cheap, blue guns that are exactly like your gun are cheap.

A couple of classes with an instructor who will give you dry fire drills to practice on your own are not cost prohibitive. Dry firing can be just as beneficial as live fire, more so if there are structured dry fire drills with a specific purpose.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

thetexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by thetexan »

canvasbck wrote:
Liberty wrote:
The fact is that so much training is expensive, far away and time consuming that it loses priority to many folks. Many ranges discourage drawing from a holster and rapid fire.

A couple of classes with an instructor who will give you dry fire drills to practice on your own are not cost prohibitive. Dry firing can be just as beneficial as live fire, more so if there are structured dry fire drills with a specific purpose.
That was my point about the blue gun. It's about $45 and is the best practice money you can spend! All of the drills I listed and many others are simply muscle memory tasks that can be practiced for free. And most of those drills are 95% of what's necessary to send a round down range to a target. If you are proficient with the tasks preparatory to firing you can almost do without the live fire.

Show me someone who has never fired a gun but who can properly and expertly draw his weapon into a proper firing position (including grip) aimed on target and I will show you a dead assailant.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

canvasbck wrote:
Liberty wrote:

I don't think we really have much of a disagreement. I have personally had some very good free, and cheap training, but I think it's easy to get intimidated by the costs of some of the advanced training. Dry fire is great practice but is it training? I prefer snap caps over blue guns and they are cheaper. I do understand that some people would be uncomfortable pulling the trigger of their handgun around the house. I am fine with it.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “New to CHL?”