Question about background check and criminal record.

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Bpatton86
Posts in topic: 1

Question about background check and criminal record.

Post by Bpatton86 »

I recently finished my LTC course and have been working on the paperwork. I know for a fact I have been arrested 3 times. I did my finger prints to access my criminal record through do and they sent me back a letter saying I have no criminal record. That is from dps office in Austin. My next question is what the heck do I do now. I have been to all of the court houses and asked for records but nothing has came about of it. Please help.

Flightmare

Re: Question about background check and criminal record.

Post by Flightmare »

Arrest does not mean conviction. Convictions are the important part.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Bpatton86 wrote:I recently finished my LTC course and have been working on the paperwork. I know for a fact I have been arrested 3 times. I did my finger prints to access my criminal record through do and they sent me back a letter saying I have no criminal record. That is from dps office in Austin. My next question is what the heck do I do now. I have been to all of the court houses and asked for records but nothing has came about of it. Please help.
Welcome to the forum :tiphat:

You will need to list the arrests on your application and get a letter (letters) from the court clerks where the arrests occurred stating they have no record of it. That will cover documentation for the arrests you will need to send to DPS..
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Flightmare wrote:Arrest does not mean conviction. Convictions are the important part.
Not actually correct. If you were photographed and fingerprinted then there is a good possibility the arrest will show up on a detailed background check. DPS will need the disposition of the arrest/case.

Conviction only lays into eligibility depending on what it was and when.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

marcotanquinobjj

Post by marcotanquinobjj »

Keith B is spot on. To avoid any headaches and to not delay the process, you will need to get official copies from the arresting counties stating they have no record of it. as well as provide the copy you have from the DPS. This will help steamline the process. 100% better to take the extra steps on the front end than to be frustrated and deal with them on the back end.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Keith B wrote:
Flightmare wrote:Arrest does not mean conviction. Convictions are the important part.
Not actually correct. If you were photographed and fingerprinted then there is a good possibility the arrest will show up on a detailed background check. DPS will need the disposition of the arrest/case.

Conviction only lays into eligibility depending on what it was and when.
Depends on when and where. I know someone who was arrested twice in the last twenty years and was never fingerprinted/photographed. He was out on OR/no-bond, both times. No conviction out of either arrest, and never came up on multiple CHL/LTC renewals.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

GreenMan0352

Post by GreenMan0352 »

It can be a head ache thats for sure! I once was arrested while on home for leave but never charged with anything. I made sure to include it on my application and this caused a delay as there was no record of it for me either. I had to get a paper from the Sheriffs office showing no charges were filed and I had to get a copy of my DD214 sent to make sure I didn't get any sort of charges since I got in trouble in the civilian world. It took about 2 months before my CHL was finally approved while they "investigated" it.

Return to “New to CHL?”