Carrying in Katy after the storm

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
G40yes
Posts in topic: 3

Carrying in Katy after the storm

Post by G40yes »

I was glad to be carrying Wednesday night when we returned to Katy. I've had my LTC for a year, carrying when I can, which doesn't include during work unfortunately. We evacuated from Harvey Sunday night while we could, to deal better with some illness challenges. Near home stopped at the gas station to fill up, on 99 near I-10, and got tested in my awareness and response to a sudden "interview".

My wife and kids were in the car. A pickup truck followed me in kind of fast, and stopped on the other side of my pump. I got out, looked around and saw a young man approaching way too fast. I lost interest in getting gas, raised my left hand to signal stop, turned to face him at a better angle, and firmly said "Please don't ask me for anything!" He tried to re-start his panhandle request and I repeated what I said. My right hand was down and ready if needed, but I was still CC because no physical threat occurred and he had stopped. He was only 8 or 10 feet away and I didn't like it, not nearly enough space. He looked at me, paused and then got back in his truck. I looked around, waited a bit, and when I could see him just sitting there and no visible partners, I pumped my gas. He was on the phone. We left soon after and were not followed.

In my former life this would have seemed too much concern over "nothing" but I'm not who I used to be. Because everything de-escalated as it did I didn't call 911, especially with the volume of real emergencies they'd been dealing with all week. He could have had a genuine need for a gas donation but my gut said no. I'm thankful we got home without further trouble.

I'd welcome some feedback from those with more experience than I have, I want to learn from this as much as possible.
.. tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying in Katy after the storm

Post by Excaliber »

I think you handled that situation just fine.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Sounds like a happy ending. You did just fine
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Sounds like a very good encounter to me. Good that you were paying attention; good that you noticed; good action on your part; good outcome - for you and him. What's not to like?

And not that you do, but don't feel guilty in any way. If he truly needed some kind of help, there are literally dozens of organizations and thousands of people who came (and continue to come) to that area for that specific reason right now - to help. It would be easy for him to find some of those folks to get the assistance he needs.

On the other hand, if he was just out to make a quick easy buck, then that was not the time or the place for that. And especially if that's all it was, and especially in that area, right now, the guy should be absolutely ashamed of himself.

Topic author
G40yes

Post by G40yes »

thatguyoverthere said " It would be easy for him to find some of those folks to get the assistance he needs.
On the other hand, if he was just out to make a quick easy buck, then that was not the time or the place for that. And especially if that's all it was, and especially in that area, right now ..."

Thanks for your reminders and everyone's feedback. I feel good about my actions. I was surprised how smoothly the advice I've read on this forum became my behavior in the moment. This is a great community.
.. tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

At the same thing happened to me at Gander Mountain parking lot a guy snuck around the backside of my car started to approach I turned around put my hand on cc told him not to take another step. I did not draw my gun nor show it however I had my hand on the grip under my shirt. I posted this a while back on here and literally got chastised for my actions I did nothing wrong nor did I displayed weapon
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Topic author
G40yes

Post by G40yes »

Gunner, my thanks to you and many others whose posts helped me get to this point. Hope I'm twice as wise and "ready " after another year or two of further training and study. I'm glad there are as few incidents after Harvey as there have been so far. Stay aware.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Gunner4640 wrote:At the same thing happened to me at Gander Mountain parking lot a guy snuck around the backside of my car started to approach I turned around put my hand on cc told him not to take another step. I did not draw my gun nor show it however I had my hand on the grip under my shirt. I posted this a while back on here and literally got chastised for my actions I did nothing wrong nor did I displayed weapon

Not sure who chastised you, but you and the OP both demonstrated, in my opinion, the proper procedure when approached by a stranger, in an unfamiliar setting, where, history has shown, people commit robbery, and assault. You both, indicated to the person, to not move any closer, did not, make any threats to escalate the situation, and both walked away unscathed.
Most people who will approach someone, do so innocently, and without malice, but the other few, cause everyone to be a little more on edge. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ak145149

Post by ak145149 »

What was your immediate cause for concern? Was it the speed in which he approached or something else? Just wondering if your response would have been the same if he approached in a different manner or used verbal skills to get your attention from a distance that wouldn't be considered a threat.

I had a similar situation around the same time at the gas station, guy said he needed 20 bucks for Gas until he got paid. He offered to send it to me and asked for my address and I declined for obvious reason. Ironically, fast forward about 2 months later and i was at starbucks on mason and franz and he recognized me and asked me if i remembered him. Long story short, he thanked me again and covered my wife's and kids drinks.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

ak145149 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:06 am What was your immediate cause for concern? Was it the speed in which he approached or something else? Just wondering if your response would have been the same if he approached in a different manner or used verbal skills to get your attention from a distance that wouldn't be considered a threat.

I had a similar situation around the same time at the gas station, guy said he needed 20 bucks for Gas until he got paid. He offered to send it to me and asked for my address and I declined for obvious reason. Ironically, fast forward about 2 months later and i was at starbucks on mason and franz and he recognized me and asked me if i remembered him. Long story short, he thanked me again and covered my wife's and kids drinks.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Whatever one decides to give away is their business, that said, my response (I've had it happen in downtown Houston a couple of times) especially when someone has the gall to specify how much they are begging for my response is: "Get away from me...NOW!

That said, with my hand on my gun, leaving it in it's holster, but immediately handy!

Beg and specify how much you as a beggar think is optimum for your needs..? Puh-leeze, get lost.

The other consideration is you have to take your eyes off the guy if you're going to be generous and give the beggar his specified amount. When you have your wallet out, displaying for him what you have on you and giving the beggar easier access to robbing you of your wallet and it's contents.

Help a beggar?

Nope, I'm not obligated and I have no way of knowing if he's interviewing me as potential robbery victim.

Be aware all beggars are potentially criminals and not some down and out, but someone ready to victimize you.

Doing this kind of good deed can severely back fire.

I'll be a good Samaritan on my terms, not the beggars of the world.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I acknowledge that many "beggars" do so to get money for alcohol and/or drugs. I admit also that some are violent due to mental health problems or simply being criminals. Still others are truly in need. I cannot distinguish between them, nor am I sure that I should. I remember the Lord's words in Matthew 25:41-46 and I typically, but not always, give.

Chas.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:47 pm I acknowledge that many "beggars" do so to get money for alcohol and/or drugs. I admit also that some are violent due to mental health problems or simply being criminals. Still others are truly in need. I cannot distinguish between them, nor am I sure that I should. I remember the Lord's words in Matthew 25:41-46 and I typically, but not always, give.

Chas.
Excellent point. Although I prefer to give them food/water rather than money. Just for my own peace of mind, that I am not helping an addict fuel their addiction. But that is a personal choice of mine.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:47 pm I acknowledge that many "beggars" do so to get money for alcohol and/or drugs. I admit also that some are violent due to mental health problems or simply being criminals. Still others are truly in need. I cannot distinguish between them, nor am I sure that I should. I remember the Lord's words in Matthew 25:41-46 and I typically, but not always, give.

Chas.
I do when the urge hits me. I call this doing "Acts of Senseless Kindness". Works for me. :evil2:

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Flightmare wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Chas.
Excellent point. Although I prefer to give them food/water rather than money. Just for my own peace of mind, that I am not helping an addict fuel their addiction. But that is a personal choice of mine.
Just recently I was hit up for money in a parking lot where I was picking up some laundry. Feller said it was for his wife and daughter. There was a Chinese Food Buffet less than 200 feet away. One where I regularly eat. I offered to buy them a meal there and was turned down. End of story.

Return to “New to CHL?”