Carrying in Katy after the storm

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Carrying in Katy after the storm

Post by Abraham »

...and why I have contempt for beggars.

Pay for a meal for me, nah, just hand over some money and we'll be good...

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Jusme wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:00 pm
Gunner4640 wrote:At the same thing happened to me at Gander Mountain parking lot a guy snuck around the backside of my car started to approach I turned around put my hand on cc told him not to take another step. I did not draw my gun nor show it however I had my hand on the grip under my shirt. I posted this a while back on here and literally got chastised for my actions I did nothing wrong nor did I displayed weapon

Not sure who chastised you, but you and the OP both demonstrated, in my opinion, the proper procedure when approached by a stranger, in an unfamiliar setting, where, history has shown, people commit robbery, and assault. You both, indicated to the person, to not move any closer, did not, make any threats to escalate the situation, and both walked away unscathed.
Most people who will approach someone, do so innocently, and without malice, but the other few, cause everyone to be a little more on edge. JMHO
Well said. Crime always spikes in the wake of natural disasters.

If a stranger's approach sets off your warning buzzer let them know you are armed, be ready to draw if they close on you but only after they start to.

Try not to escalate the situation but, keep them at a safe distance, at least 10' or more until you're sure they are ok.

Read their body language and watch their eyes, they will tell you what you need to know.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:47 pm I acknowledge that many "beggars" do so to get money for alcohol and/or drugs. I admit also that some are violent due to mental health problems or simply being criminals. Still others are truly in need. I cannot distinguish between them, nor am I sure that I should. I remember the Lord's words in Matthew 25:41-46 and I typically, but not always, give.

Chas.
I will buy gas and food for beggars, never give them cash.

If they turn you down you know your first instinct not to trust them was right.

My one soft spot is for hitchikers on lonely country roads/highways if they look to me like someone who honestly is walking away from a break down or running out of gas. The first clue is usually you will pass their vehicle before you pass them.

I was once broken down between Alamogordo and Roswell NM in uniform and fresh out of surgery. It was over 110 that day and I still couldn't get a ride for more than 5 hours.

I always remember that when I see someone else in the same straits.

Of course nowadays most places you can get a cell signal and simply offer to call someone to come help them which makes it much, much safer.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “New to CHL?”