CC a Ruger LCP 2? What are your thoughts?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Pixie123
Posts in topic: 3

CC a Ruger LCP 2? What are your thoughts?

Post by Pixie123 »

Hi all,
new here and about to enroll in a course so I can get my CHL. My weapon of choice is the lcp. Is this a good option for concealed carry? Also is it true that Texas reduces their fees for carry permits? I read somewhere that I. Sept 2017, the free went from $140 to $40. If so, that’s a lot of savings!

Thanks

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CC a Ruger LCP 2? What are your thoughts?

Post by Flightmare »

Pixie123 wrote:Hi all,
new here and about to enroll in a course so I can get my CHL. My weapon of choice is the lcp. Is this a good option for concealed carry? Also is it true that Texas reduces their fees for carry permits? I read somewhere that I. Sept 2017, the free went from $140 to $40. If so, that’s a lot of savings!

Thanks
State fees have indeed been reduced from $140 to $40 in most cases. As for your choice of carry weapon? The best choice is something you can shoot well, and something that you WILL carry. If you can shoot the LCP well and will carry it, that's great. Many on here would suggest trying several different guns to see which you might like best. Most gun ranges have popular guns you can rent to try out. I too would encourage you to try before you buy. If you have a friend who has the gun you are considering, you might even see if they would let you take to the range.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Pixie123

Post by Pixie123 »

Thanks for your reply. I just purchased an lcp 2 today. I had the lcp 1 previously. It was really snappy to shoot. Lots of recoil. I hear the 2 is a lot better. I can tell the trigger is really improved, and the sights are much better.

Topic author
Pixie123

Post by Pixie123 »

Also,
How much should I expect to be spending total on classes and fees for the permit?

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

If the fees haven’t dropped your gonna spend around 240$

3 years ago in May
Class 60$
LTC and online application 140$
Finger prints 40$
Not to mention at the class we had to shoot 50 rounds so add about 10-15$ for a box of 50.

As far as the LCP goes. They are good guns for what they are. Like others have said, try before you buy if possible. If the LCP is what you like and can shoot and will carry all the time then go for it! The best gun you have is the one you have on you. I will suggest carrying a reload or two :patriot:

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

My mother has the 1st gen LCP. I tried shooting it and did NOT like it, but I have large hands. The trigger was horrible. I've heard the LCP2 has made many improvements. In fact, everything I complained about with my mother's gun, they have made adjustments. I have yet to try firing the LCP2 to see if it's enough for me to be "okay" with it. As for your other questions...

Classes can vary from place to place.
You will need 50 rounds of ammo for the test.

State fee is $40.
Fingerprinting is $10.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/Licen ... ntInfo.htm
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

The LCP line is not a line of guns that is designed to be enjoyable to shoot...they are designed to disappear in a pocket. Quite a few times, I have seen husbands walk into a gun store with their wives and say something to the effect of, "I am going to buy my wife her first gun...I think we should get her one of these cute pink ones!" I can't think of much of a better way to turn a potential new shooter into a non-shooter than making one of these pocket pistols their first handgun experience straight out of the chute.

That being said, my wife carries a Ruger LCP2. Her range gun of choice is a Model 60 Smith. She had the Smith first. My wife is not one who enjoys the range. She doesn't like loud noises at all. She will even tell folks to get away from her with balloons that might pop...lol.

If getting the little LCP will make it more likely to carry a gun on you, that would be the choice I would make for you. Whatever you carry, be able to use it proficiently....but carry it consistently.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

You may find that you will end up with 2 or 3 different guns that you will carry. Winter / Summer and location will all make a difference. My normal day to day is a Ruger LC9s in my IWB holster. But if I am just in gym shorts and running through the drive through, I'll just tuck my LCP in my pocket and head out. There's been a lot of excellent advice here and I agree with all of it. I went through the class back in September and my total out the door with State, Class and fingerprints was right at $110.00... You'll probably spend more than that on a holster and belt.

Good Luck and welcome to Texas CC...

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

IMO its what you feel comfortable carrying and shooting. I have an lcp for pocket but prefer my M&P for daily carry.

Return to “New to CHL?”