Marine Veteran needs help on eligibility

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Paul.mayer
Posts in topic: 1

Marine Veteran needs help on eligibility

Post by Paul.mayer »

have a one of a kind situation I am in and need help. Jan 2013 I was cited in Maryland for paraphanelia which is a class c misdemeanor. I did 3 months of drug education with the VA and all urinalysis were negative. Thid charge was dismissed. I smoked weed at that time due to high levels of stress transitioning out of the military. I moved to Texas and unfortunately got a public intoxication in November 2014 and did community service. That was dismissed as well. No convictions.

I applied for my LTC last year and it was sent to medical advisory board in which i recieved documents to be signed by a psychologist. After spending $500 and getting all documents signed off after she looked through my medical records, I sent those documents to the MAB. They still denied me and wrote down on my file that I have to wait until March 2018 for the 5 year period to clear. Excited for this year, I put it in once again and called them. They stated that once it clears March 28th, I should get my chl.

I got the same paperwork in the mail that I had signed off by a psychologist just a few months prior. I called and they said you have to get them signed again to prove you didnt relapse. Then I get a call back from the supervisor stating that I now have to wait 22 more months before I am eligible again. I asked why and he said because of the public intoxication in november of 2014 which is a class c misdemeanor. I am speaking to eligibility tomorrow and all these games are really pissing me off...especially with all the craziness in the country going on. I got my paraphanelia charge expunged last November and it's not even on my record so can they still hd it against me? Why are they using a PI Misdemeanor C now against me despite what was previously said above. Any help appreciated.

BBYC

Re: Marine Veteran needs help on eligibility

Post by BBYC »

Class C misdemeanor public intoxication is not a disqualifier by itself.

I suspect RSD knows more than was said here.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

montgomery
Posts in topic: 4

Post by montgomery »

I politely and respectfully ask you, Sir: how is claiming to be a Marine veteran relevant to your LTC situation?

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Anytime you are denied they give you the exact reason and the law that states why you are denied. The department does not do this by phone. You have a chance to dispute the denial but not a chance to ask for an exemption of the laws in place. Read exactly what the paper they sent you in the mail says. A phone call for the purpose of notification is merely flapping gums on the other end.
Last edited by twomillenium on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

infoman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by infoman »

Out of state misdemeanors are considered Class A misdemeanors here.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

infoman wrote:Out of state misdemeanors are considered Class A misdemeanors here.
Only if they carry jail time.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

twomillenium wrote:Anytime you are denied they give you the exact reason and the law that states why you are denied. The department does not do this by phone. You have a chance to dispute the denial but not a chance to ask for an exemption of the laws in place. Read exactly what the paper the sent you in the mail says. A phone call for the purpose of notification is merely flapping gums on the other end.
I suspect they may be using the paraphernalia charge and PI as indicator that the OP may be a drug dependent person and now they want him essentially to "prove a negative" (that he's not). Of course, there could be other info we don't have. But if they had a clear legal reason to deny him they wouldn't have sent it to MAB, they would have just rejected it and let him appeal.

And to original poster: Thank you for your service, to a Marine, from a Navy vet.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

montgomery wrote:I politely and respectfully ask you, Sir: how is claiming to be a Marine veteran relevant to your LTC situation?
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Pigs 1945
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

E.Marquez wrote:
montgomery wrote:I politely and respectfully ask you, Sir: how is claiming to be a Marine veteran relevant to your LTC situation?
Never let it be said that E.Marquez is not an educated man! :thumbs2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
Never let it be said that E.Marquez is not an educated man! :thumbs2:
:iagree: "rlol"

infoman

Post by infoman »

Any alcohol/drug treatment that an applicant self-reports is denied within a 5 year timeframe by medical advisory board.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Hey, it saves you $20...lol...other than that, I don't have any idea...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

RogueUSMC wrote:
Purpose of the ask is if he feels those with DD214 are held to a more stringent mental health standard than civilians.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

montgomery wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:
Purpose of the ask is if he feels those with DD214 are held to a more stringent mental health standard than civilians.
...but Marines are life-takers and heart-breakers...so we gotta be crazy. Or so people have told me...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Preaching to the choir brother ...

Return to “New to CHL?”