First full day of carrying

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 4

First full day of carrying

Post by Odinvalknir »

I got my license out of the mail yesterday after I got home from work, so I decided it was a good time to go out for a walk around a few places. I despise Wal-Mart and refuse to go most of the time. I did however go to academy, Cabelas, and kroger.

I'm still waiting on my stealthgear holster to show up, so I'm currently carrying my m&p 9c in a galco tuck-n-go throw down IWB holster for now. It's not as terrible of a holster as I thought, though it's a little uncomfortable since it doesn't stop the back of the slide from sticking in my side from time to time. I'll put up with it for now, until my revolution gets here.

So today was my first FULL day of carrying all day and I ended up at Wal-Mart bc it was close and I needed 1 item lol. All in all everything went smoothly, my gun doesn't print much if at all even while wearing jeans and undershirt, and t-shirt. I was a little concerned when I bent over for whatever reason and fought the urge to adjust the holster or pull on my shirt.

Hopefully my SG holster will alleviate the issue with my firearm stabbing me, and I didn't realize until today how badly I needed new clothes lol.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First full day of carrying

Post by Paladin »

Congrats on getting your license!!!

Glad things went well. Stay Safe out there :txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Be safe, and do not forget your Pistol in a Public Rest Room.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

SigM4
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SigM4 »

Congrats. As you note a slight print may seems blatantly obvious to you, but 99.9% of folks will never notice. As for the new clothes comment, have you gotten yourself a good purpose built gun belt? That makes all the difference in the world.

Before you know it it’ll be a part of your daily routine and you won’t think twice about it.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

SigM4 wrote:Congrats. As you note a slight print may seems blatantly obvious to you, but 99.9% of folks will never notice. As for the new clothes comment, have you gotten yourself a good purpose built gun belt? That makes all the difference in the world. K

Before you know it it’ll be a part of your daily routine and you won’t think twice about it.
:iagree:

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

SigM4 wrote:Congrats. As you note a slight print may seems blatantly obvious to you, but 99.9% of folks will never notice. As for the new clothes comment, have you gotten yourself a good purpose built gun belt? That makes all the difference in the world.

I'm not sure if it's "purpose built" but I bought a 5.11 "operator" belt. It's 1.75in wide and stiffer than.... Well it's pretty damn sturdy. I wore it just regular for a week before my license got here, and it has held up pretty good so far with my single clip holster, should do even better with my stealth gear that distributes the weight a little better.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Odinvalknir wrote:
SigM4 wrote:Congrats. As you note a slight print may seems blatantly obvious to you, but 99.9% of folks will never notice. As for the new clothes comment, have you gotten yourself a good purpose built gun belt? That makes all the difference in the world.

I'm not sure if it's "purpose built" but I bought a 5.11 "operator" belt. It's 1.75in wide and stiffer than.... Well it's pretty damn sturdy. I wore it just regular for a week before my license got here, and it has held up pretty good so far with my single clip holster, should do even better with my stealth gear that distributes the weight a little better.
Congrats! I carry in SG holsters (Kahr PM9 and Kimber Ultra Carry). I bet you’ll like it. Very comfortable.

I figure I’m concealed if it doesn’t look like a gun. The little Kahr disappears. The Kimber’s grip is full size, and there might be times it influences the shape of my shirt. Nobody notices.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

treadlightly wrote:
Congrats! I carry in SG holsters (Kahr PM9 and Kimber Ultra Carry). I bet you’ll like it. Very comfortable.

I figure I’m concealed if it doesn’t look like a gun. The little Kahr disappears. The Kimber’s grip is full size, and there might be times it influences the shape of my shirt. Nobody notices.
Which one do you have? I'm getting the revolution over the ventcore just because I think the padded material of the ventcore might get gross and smell bad since I tend to sweat a bit. Especially after working 10hrs in non breathable clothing at the chemical plants. Or if I'm working outside at the house or otherwise.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Odinvalknir wrote:
Ok, then you’re golden. Many folks, myself included, had to learn the hard way that a “stiff belt” isn’t the same as a gun belt. You’re starting out with a leg up. Funny thing about it, now all I wear are gun belts, even when not carrying. The added support is welcome and I feel lost with a flimsy belt.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Odinvalknir wrote:
treadlightly wrote:

Which one do you have? I'm getting the revolution over the ventcore just because I think the padded material of the ventcore might get gross and smell bad since I tend to sweat a bit. Especially after working 10hrs in non breathable clothing at the chemical plants. Or if I'm working outside at the house or otherwise.
Mine are Ventcore. I would expect the Revolution units are every bit as well built

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

treadlightly wrote:
Odinvalknir wrote:
treadlightly wrote:

Mine are Ventcore. I would expect the Revolution units are every bit as well built

:thumbs2:
Good to hear, I have heard nothing but stellar reviews of SG holsters, so I figure I would start there and try to avoid having too large a collection of holsters stowed away in a drawer.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Congrats! Stay safe and carry on!

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I wouldn't worry too much about "printing" or the gun peeking thru at times, I open carry all the time, Nobody notices and Nobody cares, Carry on!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

SigM4 wrote:
Odinvalknir wrote:
Ok, then you’re golden. Many folks, myself included, had to learn the hard way that a “stiff belt” isn’t the same as a gun belt. You’re starting out with a leg up. Funny thing about it, now all I wear are gun belts, even when not carrying. The added support is welcome and I feel lost with a flimsy belt.
Had to chuckle, read your comment and realized I also only wear my gun belt even if not carrying. Never thought about it much, just kinda happened.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Congrats on the plastic and I agree with all that has been said including your statement about going to Walmart.
I refuse to go there unless the boss forces me to go for some reason. In those cases, I am heavily armed with no less than 3 guns and several magazines of ammo :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “New to CHL?”