Gun rusting after one day

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 6

Gun rusting after one day

Post by Odinvalknir »

So I work in a fairly physical environment currently and I thought yesterday would be a good time to see how it would be to carry my firearm on my person all day while working and sweating. Looking at my gun today there is rust appearing on the slide serrations and the takedown lever. I thought the coating on the gun was supposed to be some kind of amazing anti-rust coating. Oh well, was just wanting to know what you guys thought and how I can go about removing it and stop it from happening again? I'm still using it little cheapy Throwdown Galco holster and present while waiting on my stealthgear to arrive. Hopefully the backing of the stealth gear will help reduce some of this since it rides up a little higher. I guess when I get home I'm going to try a metal brush of some sort and some CLP to remove the rust.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Re: Gun rusting after one day

Post by Odinvalknir »

I'm just amazed that Smith & Wesson own coating would not protect against rust. And I need to try to get it off and prevent it from happening again. I guess for now I'm just going to have to oil the hell out of the side of my gun that touches me, and do so every single day

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

What gun is this? Is it a new gun, or used? Either way, I would not expect any modern gun to rust after only one day unless you were REALLY sweaty. Heck, I would have thought you could soak just about anny gun in salt water for 24 hours and not get rust.

Maybe try leaving a light coat of oil on the gun surface. I would say that might get oil on your shirt, but if you are sweating that much, then your shirts probably take a beating regardless.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

Most good holsters deal with this issue. They have a feature called a “sweat shield”. I wear my gun all day and sweat A LOT. My edc holsters have sweat shields. One my carry guns is ceracoated so that helps a bunch. Good luck!

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

Don't know what gun or what finish you have but this is the very reason I plan on sending my guns to Robar for complete internal and external finish. (once I get the last alterations finished.)

Sweat can be nasty... some people's sweat is saltier and more damaging than others. That being said, I ALWAYS wear an undershirt if I expect to sweat very much. I also have a silicon cloth sitting atop the safe [in a bag] and wipe down daily in the summer... and if I have been sweating for a few days, I break down the gun and clean it thoroughly.

Carrying a gun in the Texas summers is a pain that often involves extra maintenance and diligence. I look at it like walking the dog- make time for it and get used to it and soon it will be routine and not a "pain" in your schedule.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

flechero wrote:Don't know what gun or what finish you have but this is the very reason I plan on sending my guns to Robar for complete internal and external finish. (once I get the last alterations finished.)

Sweat can be nasty... some people's sweat is saltier and more damaging than others. That being said, I ALWAYS wear an undershirt if I expect to sweat very much. I also have a silicon cloth sitting atop the safe [in a bag] and wipe down daily in the summer... and if I have been sweating for a few days, I break down the gun and clean it thoroughly.

Carrying a gun in the Texas summers is a pain that often involves extra maintenance and diligence. I look at it like walking the dog- make time for it and get used to it and soon it will be routine and not a "pain" in your schedule.
This is good advice. Now that it is getting hotter again, I need to make sure I keep a silicon cloth in my glove box for just this purpose.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

I do tend to sweat a lot. And I should have mentioned this in my original post I apologize, my firearm is a S&W M&P 9C. The holster I'm currently using has no frills, it is just basically a leather sock that is Loosely formed to the firearm. I am waiting on my stealth Gear holster to arrive in the mail. Needless to say I will not be wearing this gun while working anymore, and hopefully using a little CLP and maybe a brass cleaning brush or some very fine steel wool I can remove a little bit of surface rust that is on my firearm. Hopefully it does not spread or get any worse.

Allons

Post by Allons »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
flechero wrote:Don't know what gun or what finish you have but this is the very reason I plan on sending my guns to Robar for complete internal and external finish. (once I get the last alterations finished.)

This is good advice. Now that it is getting hotter again, I need to make sure I keep a silicon cloth in my glove box for just this purpose.

Good advice about the cloth and T-shirt. I wear a T-shirt no matter how hot it is. I sweat a lot too, and the T- shirt helps a sorb the sweat.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Allons wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

Good advice about the cloth and T-shirt. I wear a T-shirt no matter how hot it is. I sweat a lot too, and the T- shirt helps a sorb the sweat.

That's what gets me. I wear a t-shirt all the time even under my FRC clothing that I wear to work. So I know I sweat a lot but I do not think the sweat runs all the way down my side and doesn't get picked up by the shirt. I know the rust on the takedown lever is from The holster holding in sweat and me stupidly leaving it in the holster overnight. But the little bit of rust that is on the slide serration has to be from my shirt. As this stupid holster that I am forced to use for the moment does not come up high enough to cover the slide.

Allons

Post by Allons »

Odinvalknir wrote:
Allons wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

That's what gets me. I wear a t-shirt all the time even under my FRC clothing that I wear to work. So I know I sweat a lot but I do not think the sweat runs all the way down my side and doesn't get picked up by the shirt. I know the rust on the takedown lever is from The holster holding in sweat and me stupidly leaving it in the holster overnight. But the little bit of rust that is on the slide serration has to be from my shirt. As this stupid holster that I am forced to use for the moment does not come up high enough to cover the slide.
Im guessing this has to be IWB holster?
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Yes it is a cheap leather holster made by Galco. I was not expecting much out of it, just kind of a placeholder that did not cost a lot until my actual holster arrives. I believe the Galco is called the tuck-n-go.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

You could always get a Glock. They won't rust, and even if they do, you won't care. It would just make it look different, so by definition, better, and nothing can stop a Glock from functioning. Or so they say.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:You could always get a Glock. They won't rust, and even if they do, you won't care. It would just make it look different, so by definition, better, and nothing can stop a Glock from functioning. Or so they say.

There are people out there who say when a glock rusts, to buy an m&p. The rust I'm seeing is a slight surface rust, I sprayed some CLP on a rag and wiped it off then put some hoppes 9 on it. Hopefully it'll stop it.

Allons

Post by Allons »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:You could always get a Glock. They won't rust, and even if they do, you won't care. It would just make it look different, so by definition, better, and nothing can stop a Glock from functioning. Or so they say.
I could say the same about any CZ compact especially the P01 :thumbs2: No knock on glocks though.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Return to “New to CHL?”