First month - 2 month questions and thoughts

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 3

First month - 2 month questions and thoughts

Post by Odinvalknir »

It has been a little over one full month or maybe a month and a half, that I have been carrying everyday all day long. I have only carried in my stealth gear Kydex hybrid holster for about two and a half weeks, and I'm starting to notice something that is maybe going to become a bigger issue overtime. I generally put my holster on and then put my pistol into the holster after I put my pants on, I've noticed though now that I've had for a little while as I put my pants on the holster collapses a little bit. Now the only way I found to combat this is before I pull my pants all the way up in button and buckle I put the firearm into the holster first. Is there any way to help the holster not to collapse? My other thought is more of an observation, but I've noticed I don't oil my firearm a ton to where it's just pouring out of the slide but I do give it a light Sheen of oil over the slide of the gun and I guess some of it gets into the Kydex shell of the holster and I noticed this morning that the shell is completely covered in lint and fuzz. Is this just going to be something I have to watch for and clean out the shell every so often?

Sorry for the wall of text
Last edited by Odinvalknir on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

couzin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First month - 2 month questions and thoughts

Post by couzin »

Odinvalknir wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 am...I don't boil my firearm a ton...
There is your problem! :evil2:
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

I field strip , clean and oil my weapon every 1 to 4 weeks. I use an air compressor and air gun to blow out any collected lint or dust ever 1 to 2 days. I ultra sonic clean it 1 or 2 times a year. During the hot summers with sweat concerns , I will clean and oil weekly and use the compressed air daily.....but I get a bit anal about a clean and oiled gun.

lama

Post by lama »

I am not very familiar with that type of holster. Can you not holster the gun and then put the holster on? I do this (I actually generally just leave my guns in the holster 90% of the time.)

Yes Lint will be a continuous adversary for as long as you continue to carry. unless you get one of those WW2 holsters with the massive flap. (though it would still likely be something to deal with.)

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

couzin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am
Especially if you use corrosive ammo.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Odinvalknir wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 am Is there any way to help the holster not to collapse?
Try a better holster. A holster designed for IWB carry shouldn't collapse when empty just from belt tension.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Odinvalknir wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 am It has been a little over one full month or maybe a month and a half, that I have been carrying everyday all day long. I have only carried in my stealth gear Kydex hybrid holster for about two and a half weeks, and I'm starting to notice something that is maybe going to become a bigger issue overtime. I generally put my holster on and then put my pistol into the holster after I put my pants on, I've noticed though now that I've had for a little while as I put my pants on the holster collapses a little bit. Now the only way I found to combat this is before I pull my pants all the way up in button and buckle I put the firearm into the holster first. Is there any way to help the holster not to collapse? My other thought is more of an observation, but I've noticed I don't boil my firearm a ton to where it's just pouring out of the slide but I do give it a light Sheen of oil over the slide of the gun and I guess some of it gets into the Kydex shell of the holster and I noticed this morning that the shell is completely covered in lint and fuzz. Is this just going to be something I have to watch for and clean out the shell every so often?

Sorry for the wall of text
I have not used a StealthGear holster. I did, however, carry my Tanfoglio BTA90 in a Galco KingTuk hybrid IWB holster for 3 years. It never "collapsed", even a little. This holster is now 5 years old and still in great shape. I only stopped using it because I have carried openly since 1/1/16.

My experienced when putting on my pants is similar to yours. I put on my pants first and then holstered my pistol slowly while looking into the holster. I either used suspenders or loosely fastened my belt to hold my pants up and still allow easy holstering. Then I tucked and tightened, not necessarily in that order.

Yes, carrying in the waist band will gather lint and dust. You will find that regular cleaning of the holster and pistol makes everything work better. You will have to work out the cleaning regimen that works best for your situation.

I clean my gear after every range trip. At least once a month. I practice dry-fire several times a week and take the opportunity to wipe the pistol and magazines and clean as needed.

I find that openly carrying my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland 7TS ALS OWB holster is easier in all aspects than carrying my Tanfoglio BTA90 concealed in an IWB hybrid holster.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

couzin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am

Fixed. Lol

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

BBYC wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:34 pm
Odinvalknir wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:51 am Is there any way to help the holster not to collapse?
Try a better holster. A holster designed for IWB carry shouldn't collapse when empty just from belt tension.
Perhaps collapsing is the wrong word. The part of the holster that is designed to cover the rear sights and keep them from jabbing me in the side gets pushed over a little by my torso. I generally have to actually muzzle myself with the gun in order to get it into the holster. I have just gone to either leaving it in the holster or taking the time to make sure I can push straight down into the holster while looking at it.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Sounds like the “sweat shield” portion of the leather portion is being molded over by a bit of love handle. My Cross breed would do that when I was heavy. I would take the holster apart, saddle soap the leather portion and place it under a piece of plywood with a weight on it to bring the leather straight again.

Zombified

Post by Zombified »

I use a full kydex holster from a local vendor called Storm Holsters & Tactical Accessories. I've owned several and they have never changed shape. The owner claims he uses a thicker kydex than most manufacturers. I carry a HK VP9 Inside the waistband. I do not use a tuck-able holster and have no issues with these holsters jabbing me in the love handles. I carry at 3 o'clock. I have never really noticed any noticeable sweat forming around the holster. I am always surprised at how much lint collects inside my holster and on my firearm. For many years my routine was similar to yours. I would attach my holster to my belt and insert my firearm once everything was in place. I stopped this practice after twice finding my shirt stuck inside my holster with my firearm. I consider myself lucky I did not have a discharge.

I have also used bravo-concealment and had no issues with their holsters either.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I always wear a t-shirt tucked in, then slide my holstered Shield ( in a On Your 6 holster ) IWB.
Remove it the same; quick, easy, secure. Weapon is always in the kydex holster.
Trigger is never exposed.
Then I wear a light weight, loose fitting collared shirt over it all, not tucked.

Milt Sparks if I carry a 45.

This works great for me, if more formal attire is required then I wear a sports coat ( church, etc...).

Had to do a lot of experimenting to find what worked for me, have a bag full of holsters that I no longer use.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Forgot...I also have to clean the lint out about once a month.
That is normal.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Return to “New to CHL?”