IWB Padding?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Fosty
Posts in topic: 1

IWB Padding?

Post by Fosty »

I'm researching my options for my first IWB holster, and I've become drawn to Harry's Holsters.

However I've noticed that quite a few other brands have got a layer of padding between the gun and the wearers skin.
As someone who doesn't wear an undershirt, will this make a big difference or are they kind of a gimmicky selling point?

Jose_in_Dallas

Re: IWB Padding?

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Not sure about the padding as none of my IWB holsters have any (but I wear an undershirt). But I'd suggest making sure you have a high enough sweat shield.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

If you want padding, I like my Crossbreed. However, I also find my RDR all kydex very comfortable and considerly more economical than Harry’s.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I don’t wear an undershirt. I work outside all day everyday and two shirts doesn’t make sense. Make sure you have a good sweat shield to keep the slide away from your body and also make sure if your rear sight is a metal to always keep light coat of oil because it will rust. Guns like Glock won’t but aftermarket metal sights will. I’ve carried iwb Kydex without padding 75% of my carry life which is 3 years. You get used to it. It’s not as comfortable as leather but it’s thinner. If you go to adding thickness you might as well carry leather.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grundy1133 »

I started wearing undershirts when i started carrying. not only does metal on skin get really uncomfortable really fast, but a lot of holster material will start getting uncomfortable as well. i like having a nice cotton barrier. (it also helps soak up sweat and helps keep my gun from getting sweat on it.)
NRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Some people simply will not wear a Kydex IWB holster without some type of padding. Others don't need it to be comfortable. Still others feel the padding (leather or other) make them sweat more, slow the draw, and make reholstering a bit more difficult. As you can see, opinions are all over the map.

Comp-Tac makes hybrid holsters that have leather on the inside of the holster. Thus, only half of the holster is Kydex. An advantage is that you can buy different shells for different guns, thus making the holster more versatile. AlienGearHolsters.com makes padded IWB holsters, but I find them to be HUGE! Many people like them for their Neoprene backing, but they are a bear for me to put on. I bought two only so I could review them for some folks.

I've used Comp-Tax IWB holsters for years and I much prefer all Kydex. I do wear an undershirt, but not just because I carry a gun.

Welcome to the Forum.
Chas.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I have an AlienGear IWB that I wear without undershirt. Like Charles said, it takes a bit to figure out the best way to get them on and situated comfortably. At first I thought I'd wasted by money buying it, but after a few times putting it on I got the hang of it. The padded piece keeps the gun off my skin and provides a sweat barrier.

I've been looking at the CrossBreeds IWB's and will probably get on of those next IWB I buy. I really want to try one of the new AlienGear shoulder holsters so that will be the next holster purchase.

Now I have to go look at Harry's Holsters because I haven't heard of them before.....
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:03 pm I have an AlienGear IWB that I wear without undershirt. Like Charles said, it takes a bit to figure out the best way to get them on and situated comfortably. At first I thought I'd wasted by money buying it, but after a few times putting it on I got the hang of it. The padded piece keeps the gun off my skin and provides a sweat barrier.

I've been looking at the CrossBreeds IWB's and will probably get on of those next IWB I buy. I really want to try one of the new AlienGear shoulder holsters so that will be the next holster purchase.

Now I have to go look at Harry's Holsters because I haven't heard of them before.....
I have the aliengear shapeshift 4.0. really like it a lot. i like how you can have different configurations with just 1 shell. its like owning 4 different holsters. i really like what theyre doing as far as how modular their system is. they have IWB, AIWB, OWB paddle, OWB slider, car mount, shoulder holster, ankle, backpack mount, velcro, and i think drop leg is available now too. its a pretty cool system.
NRA Member

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

The big thing with the hybrid holsters is that the leather tends to decide for itself where it wants to settle. You might put it on at about 3:30 and it will settle in around 4:30...

The non-hybrid holsters tend to sit where you put them.

I find the hybrids more comfortable but to each to figure out what they like...

Just my two cents but probably worth closer to what you paid for it...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

flechero

Post by flechero »

Most of the discomfort is from the gun, not the holster. When carrying IWB the holster is between the pants and briefs and maybe a sweatshield touches the skin... but the whole of the grip an often part of the slide contacts the skin.

An undershirt is (for me) always more comfortable. 10X more in the summer. But it's not always practical. I do notice that IWB without an undershirt is much more comfortable in the cooler weather when you don't sweat. I'm fine without an undershirt if not sweating (the gun sticking to damp skin is where my discomfort comes from)

And then you have material... leather is softer to the skin, has softer corners and fewer things to scratch/irritate you. While Kydex generally has sharper corners and other hardware exposed, well made kydex designs can be very rounded and easy on the skin.

I rarely wore an undershirt before I started carrying but eventually experimented with different syles and materials and found some really comfy ones.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Ive got probably 30-40 lbs of extra padding I don’t need...

In all seriousness I’ve always used a hybrid IWB holster with horse hide leather (holds up better to sweat). That was until I stumbled into a StealthGear Ventcore holster. The backer is thicker yet has a padded element to it. So far in several months of wear I’ve been impressed.

As to undershirts, I always wear a semi-compression type of undershirt with whatever I’m wearing. It keeps the holster/gun off my skin and helps wick away any sweat.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I haven’t gotten the chance to try one yet, but you should check out stealth gear.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

im pushing 300 lbs and my aliengear i have doesn't slide move around at all. the j hooks they sent fit extremely snug with the belt i have. granted i have a bigfoot gun belt (their sister company) and so their holsters are designed to fit their belts (is what a rep told me when I asked about the size of their hooks). I've actually had kydex holsters wander around on me... its all just hit and miss. depends on your clothes, your belt, your body type and 100 other things. my advise is to try lots of differnt types. everyone needs 1 or 2 good holster drawers lol. i lucked out and i only bought 6 holsters before I found one I like. happy shopping!
NRA Member

Return to “New to CHL?”