NEWBIE Question about CCW

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

WildRose
Posts in topic: 5

Re: NEWBIE Question about CCW

Post by WildRose »

bigtek wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:54 pm Laws are for little people.
Note, I didn't say I agree with it. Those are simply the facts.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

WildRose wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:28 am
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:18 pm I think we can safely assume that LEO's are usually armed even when they are off duty. So unless Texas LEO's all have their LTC's then they violate the FGFSZA whenever they drop their kids off at school or even drive through a school zone on their way to work. Is anyone aware of a LEO being charged under the FGFSZA?
LEO's are exempt as are retired LEO's.
Do you have a source for this? The only exemption I see in the text of the GFSZA is for "individuals licensed by their state", aka LTC holders in Texas.

https://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf

WildRose
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildRose »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:26 pm
WildRose wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:28 am
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:18 pm I think we can safely assume that LEO's are usually armed even when they are off duty. So unless Texas LEO's all have their LTC's then they violate the FGFSZA whenever they drop their kids off at school or even drive through a school zone on their way to work. Is anyone aware of a LEO being charged under the FGFSZA?
LEO's are exempt as are retired LEO's.
Do you have a source for this? The only exemption I see in the text of the GFSZA is for "individuals licensed by their state", aka LTC holders in Texas.

https://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf
Under GFSZA active LEO's are exempt when acting in concert with official duties, I was wrong about the LEOSA exemption which doesn't apply on school premises. The purpose of the LEOSA was to ensure such off duty and retired LEO's could carry nationwide but somehow they left out the school exemption. Typical of congress.
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA), intended to allow qualified law enforcement officers the ability to carry guns nationwide, does not provide any exceptions to Federal Law per 18 U.S.C. § 926B. GFSZA does not make any exception for an off-duty qualified officer.[8][14][16][16]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_ ... Exceptions
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

BBYC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BBYC »

Good. If they want to carry near schools, they can get a LTC like the people who pay their salary and pension. Assuming they can pass the background check.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Topic author
flipman416
Posts in topic: 11

Post by flipman416 »

Carried in the Texas State Fair...showed the officer on duty my Utah CCW...he looks at it, looks at me and says have a good day.

Just got back from the Texas State Capitol, woman officer looked at my Utah CCW, and she asks where my Texas one was. I said, I just moved here and I'm in the process of working on it. She was kinda rude...handed me back my Utah CCW didn't say a word but waved me in. LOL!!! Raised my confidence level that the Utah CCW is definitely accepted in Texas. But I'm still going to get my Texas CHL anyway, it will be a good class to learn Texas laws etc.

tool4daman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tool4daman »

Flip- That's good to hear. A couple of years ago, I had an out of state friend visit here. I was told that the Capitol only allows visitors with the Texas CHL to enter, and not out of state licensees.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

NNT wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 pm
flipman416 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 pm
Maxwell wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 pm
flipman416 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm ..my understanding is I can definitely carry in Texas because I obtained my Utah CCW as a non-Texas resident. But since I have now moved, I believe I can still carry in Texas with my Utah CCW, but when it comes time to renew...Utah won't renew it unless I have my Texas CHL. Am I assuming correctly?
I'm curious, did you have to have a California CCW to get your non-resident Utah CCW? :confused5

I did not need my CA CCW to obtain a non resident Utah CCW. The main reason is Utah CCW was not honored in CA, it was primarily used so Californians can carry when traveling to nearby states.
The way I remember it when I was looking at Utah non-resident... if your home state was shall issue, you had to have that first. If your home state is communist, Utah will issue.
If that is correct, I'd say that's incredibly thoughtful of Utah to set up the rules that way.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “New to CHL?”