Experience dealing with LEOs during events etc?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
flipman416
Posts in topic: 3

Experience dealing with LEOs during events etc?

Post by flipman416 »

I HAVE A UTAH CCW. I just moved here about 3 months ago, working on my Texas CHL will start the process next month.

Went to the Texas state fair in Dallas. As I walked through security, I showed one of the sec guards my CCW permit. He literally screams out, "oh you got a gun?" Cool, see the officer over there. I gave em this look, like..yes please scream louder and announce it from the top of your lungs. I walk over to the LEO, show him my Utah CCW and he tells me have a good day.

Texas State Capitol. I walk in, I ask one of the officers, Can I ask you a question, he looks at me and says...:Oh you have a firearm. Again very loud. He said walk over to that officer there and show her your credentials. I proceed to pull out my Utah CCW with my Texas License. She was very rude!!! She said...wheres your Texas CHL. I said, I just moved here and working on it. She hands me my permit back and waves me in!!

So far the twice I had to deal with LEOs have been uneventful with my Utah CCW. Except for the very rude woman DPS officer inside the State Capitol.

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Experience dealing with LEOs during events etc?

Post by ELB »

I dunno about the officer with the loud mouth (in the Capitol), but I didn't think they let out of state licensees in with handguns. Pleasantly surprised that they do.

When I went to the capitol the line for (then) CHL was clearly marked so I just walked over, showed my license, they scanned it and that was that. No muss no fuss.
Last edited by ELB on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Why would you voluntarily show your CCW / LTC to a volunteer gate security person when it is not required to do so. Might as well open carry at that point. You are not required to disclose unless at a traffic stop with at Texas peace officer or upon direct request by a Texas peace officer. Otherwise, don't ask, don't tell.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

flipman416 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:14 am I HAVE A UTAH CCW. I proceed to pull out my Utah CCW with my Texas License. She was very rude!!! She said...wheres your Texas CHL. I said, I just moved here and working on it. She hands me my permit back and waves me in!!

So far the twice I had to deal with LEOs have been uneventful with my Utah CCW. Except for the very rude woman DPS officer inside the State Capitol.
Us Texans get fussy when dealing with foreigners. Problem solved once you get your Texas LTC and learn how to smoke brisket proper.

:txflag:

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warnmar10 »

ELB wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm... I didn't think they let out of state licensees in with handguns. ...
Reciprocity would be largely meaningless if they didn't.

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

montgomery wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 pm
flipman416 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:14 am I HAVE A UTAH CCW. I proceed to pull out my Utah CCW with my Texas License. She was very rude!!! She said...wheres your Texas CHL. I said, I just moved here and working on it. She hands me my permit back and waves me in!!

Us Texans get fussy when dealing with foreigners. Problem solved once you get your Texas LTC and learn how to smoke brisket proper.

:txflag:
:iagree: Yeah, the out of state thing is your problem. It just says, "I ain't from here." Get your Texas LTC and things will be different, most of the time.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warnmar10 »

flipman416 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:14 am...
Went to the Texas state fair in Dallas. As I walked through security, I showed one of the sec guards my CCW permit. He literally screams out, "oh you got a gun?" Cool, see the officer over there.
I went to the fair for a few minutes yesterday. There were two walk-thru metal detectors at the entrance. Between the walk-thru's was a gap of about 4 feet in which a man with a hand held metal detector was standing. I approached that gap, bypassing the walk-thru lines entirely. The man in the gap passed his wand over my wedding tackle and motioned me in. I was not told to 'see the officer over there' and I showed my license to no one. My brother was about 3 steps behind me and got the same treatment. FWIW - the hand held wand did not detect my brother's ~4" blade folding knife in his right front pocket.

ELB

Post by ELB »

warnmar10 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:34 pm
ELB wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm... I didn't think they let out of state licensees in with handguns. ...
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to the State Capitol, which does not operate under the LTC law (e.g. reciprocity and all that).
USAF 1982-2005

E10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E10 »

Lynyrd wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:40 pm Yeah, the out of state thing is your problem. It just says, "I ain't from here." Get your Texas LTC and things will be different, most of the time.
Our friend Lyle Lovett sez it best:

You say you're not from Texas,
Man, as if I couldn't tell,
You think you pull your boots on right,
And wear your hat so well.

So pardon me my laughter,
'Cause I sure do understand.
Even Moses got excited,
When he saw the promised land

That's right, you're not from Texas,
Texas wants you anyway.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

ELB wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 pm
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to the State Capitol, which does not operate under the LTC law (e.g. reciprocity and all that).
What law,do they operate under? :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ELB

Post by ELB »

ScottDLS wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:55 pm
Their own. :) The Legislature makes its own security rules, because of separation of powers issues IIRC. The prohibition on state and local government entities banning licensed carry and the "fines for signs" law do not apply to the Legislature.
USAF 1982-2005

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

ELB wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:04 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:55 pm
Their own. :) The Legislature makes its own security rules, because of separation of powers issues IIRC. The prohibition on state and local government entities banning licensed carry and the "fines for signs" law do not apply to the Legislature.
They undoubtedly could keep out license holders from other states if they wished to, but they would be hard pressed to charge them with a crime if they managed to get in, as there is no such statute. That, and I have it on good authority that CJ Grisham of OCT fame has carried in the capitol building. Since he doesn’t qualify (for now) for a Texas LTC I assume he was carrying with a reciprocal license.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ELB

Post by ELB »

They undoubtedly could keep out license holders from other states if they wished to, but they would be hard pressed to charge them with a crime if they managed to get in, as there is no such statute.
Oh I don’t believe that at all. Regardless of which of the legislature’s Security rules you break, I will bet there is a catchall statute that you can be charged under.
USAF 1982-2005

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

ELB wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 pm

They undoubtedly could keep out license holders from other states if they wished to, but they would be hard pressed to charge them with a crime if they managed to get in, as there is no such statute.
Oh I don’t believe that at all. Regardless of which of the legislature’s Security rules you break, I will bet there is a catchall statute that you can be charged under.
It would be up to the Travis County DA and having scoured the penal code I can’t seem to find one that would apply. I guess they could try ‘Capitol’ Murder and see if it would stick... Not sure I’d want to be the proverbial test case, though. :smilelol5:

Topic author
flipman416

Post by flipman416 »

ELB wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm I dunno about the officer with the loud mouth (in the Capitol), but I didn't think they let out of state licensees in with handguns. Pleasantly surprised that they do.

When I went to the capitol the line for (then) CHL was clearly marked so I just walked over, showed my license, they scanned it and that was that. No muss no fuss.

Yeah due to reciprocity with Texas and Utah, I knew it wasn't going to be a problem. Tons of out of staters visit Austin and go see the Texas State Capitol.

Return to “New to CHL?”