Experience dealing with LEOs during events etc?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
flipman416
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Experience dealing with LEOs during events etc?

Post by flipman416 »

ELB wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:04 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:55 pm
ELB wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 pm
warnmar10 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:34 pm
ELB wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm... I didn't think they let out of state licensees in with handguns. ...
Reciprocity would be largely meaningless if they didn't.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to the State Capitol, which does not operate under the LTC law (e.g. reciprocity and all that).
What law,do they operate under? :???:
Their own. :) The Legislature makes its own security rules, because of separation of powers issues IIRC. The prohibition on state and local government entities banning licensed carry and the "fines for signs" law do not apply to the Legislature.

Well regardless, I was proof. Officer did ask if I had my Texas LTC, told her nope... Just moved here...then she waved me in. That was the end of that. Beautiful place that Texas state Capitol!

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E.Marquez »

montgomery wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:29 pm Why would you voluntarily show your CCW / LTC to a volunteer gate security person when it is not required to do so. Might as well open carry at that point. You are not required to disclose unless at a traffic stop with at Texas peace officer or upon direct request by a Texas peace officer. Otherwise, don't ask, don't tell.
If I may, I believe you had the right answer but it included other verbiage that only served (from my reading) to confuse the answer.

So without the math word problem extra verbiage.
montgomery wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:29 pm Why would you voluntarily show your CCW / LTC to a volunteer gate security person when it is not required to do so. Might as well open carry at that point. You are not required to disclose unless upon direct request by a Texas peace officer. Otherwise, don't ask, don't tell.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ELB wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm... I didn't think they let out of state licensees in with handguns. ...
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was referring to the State Capitol, which does not operate under the LTC law (e.g. reciprocity and all that).
Their own. :) The Legislature makes its own security rules, because of separation of powers issues IIRC. The prohibition on state and local government entities banning licensed carry and the "fines for signs" law do not apply to the Legislature.
Does this apply to all laws, or just those related to the RKBA? Could the Legislature decide to outlaw women, for example? Pardon my ignorance, but this is the first I've heard of the notion that the Legislature can make up whatever laws they want for the Capitol building.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:43 pm
Does this apply to all laws, or just those related to the RKBA? Could the Legislature decide to outlaw women, for example? Pardon my ignorance, but this is the first I've heard of the notion that the Legislature can make up whatever laws they want for the Capitol building.
I think what he means, is that legislators, are usually exempt from a lot of laws. I don't know about State Legislators, but Federal Legislators, often, exclude themselves from new laws, the one that comes to mind is Obamacare.

They are usually allowed the same privileges, as LEO when it comes to carry restrictions.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

LTC laws apply to all government buildings including the Capitol. It's not posted with TPC §30.06 or 30.07 because 1) it cannot be posted; and 2) the Legislature doesn't want it posted. One session saw 30.06 signs immediately outside the Senate and House galleries when the House and Senate were in session. This was legal because it was a governmental meeting (TPC §46.035(c)).

To my knowledge, elected officials in Texas are not exempt from any Texas laws, as opposed the the U.S. Congress.

Chas.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

The lesson I take away from this is just stay away from govt buildings as much as possible (which i do anyway lol.) :mrgreen:
NRA Member

TexanVeteran
Posts in topic: 8

Post by TexanVeteran »

montgomery wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:29 pm Why would you voluntarily show your CCW / LTC to a volunteer gate security person when it is not required to do so. Might as well open carry at that point. You are not required to disclose unless at a traffic stop with at Texas peace officer or upon direct request by a Texas peace officer. Otherwise, don't ask, don't tell.
You do not have to disclose at a traffic stop in Texas. The only thing you have to do is produce your carry permit, if requested, when open carrying.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

TexanVeteran wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 pm
You do not have to disclose at a traffic stop in Texas. The only thing you have to do is produce your carry permit, if requested, when open carrying.
This is so wrong!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

C-dub wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:01 am
TexanVeteran wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 pm
This is so wrong!
Actually, it's not.

1. I just had my LTC class.
2. I did my research
3. Texas is not a disclosure state. It is a courtesy, yes, but not legally required at a traffic stop.
4. If you are open carrying, LEO's do have the right to ask you to show your LTC, and you must.

That is the law. Look it up.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:52 am Actually, it's not.

2. I did my research
3. Texas is not a disclosure state. It is a courtesy, yes, but not legally required at a traffic stop.
4. If you are open carrying, LEO's do have the right to ask you to show your LTC, and you must.

If you have "done your research", please quote the relevant statutes that you used to come to your conclusions.

There are many here, including at least one person who has helped craft the LTC laws who would disagree with you about your statements.

TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:33 am
TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:52 am Actually, it's not.

2. I did my research

If you have "done your research", please quote the relevant statutes that you used to come to your conclusions.

There are many here, including at least one person who has helped craft the LTC laws who would disagree with you about your statements.
My apologies; my research was apparently not deep enough. Y'all, my friends, are/were correct. The most recent (a few minutes ago) research I have done, says the law states you must (while carrying) show your LTC and drivers license when asked for identification. I sincerely apologize for my misinformation, and I will NOT let that happen again. Thank all of you for making me aware of this.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I’m confused. TX GC 411.205 states that you must show your LTC when “ demanded”. I also found a web site up dated 11/19/18 which stated TX was a nondisclosure State. No code was sited however.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

WTR wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:27 am I’m confused. TX GC 411.205 states that you must show your LTC when “ demanded”. I also found a web site up dated 11/19/18 which stated TX was a nondisclosure State. No code was sited however.
The question comes down to when ID can be demanded. Per Texas law, the only time ID can be demanded (i.e. you MUST properly identify yourself) is if you are arrested, detained, or the officer has good cause to believe you are witness to a crime. (TPC 38.02)

Unless an officer has reasonable articulable suspicion to initiate a Terry stop or has pulled you over for some other infraction while driving, there should be no reason for an officer to demand ID and thus no reason to show your LTC.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Thanks

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

the only time ID can be demanded (i.e. you MUST properly identify yourself) is if you are arrested, detained,
The statute does not include "detained" as a time when LEO can demand ID.

Return to “New to CHL?”