Experience dealing with LEOs during events etc?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Experience dealing with LEOs during events etc?

Post by C-dub »

TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:52 am
C-dub wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:01 am
TexanVeteran wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 pm
montgomery wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:29 pm Why would you voluntarily show your CCW / LTC to a volunteer gate security person when it is not required to do so. Might as well open carry at that point. You are not required to disclose unless at a traffic stop with at Texas peace officer or upon direct request by a Texas peace officer. Otherwise, don't ask, don't tell.
You do not have to disclose at a traffic stop in Texas. The only thing you have to do is produce your carry permit, if requested, when open carrying.
This is so wrong!
Actually, it's not.

1. I just had my LTC class.
2. I did my research
3. Texas is not a disclosure state. It is a courtesy, yes, but not legally required at a traffic stop.
4. If you are open carrying, LEO's do have the right to ask you to show your LTC, and you must.

That is the law. Look it up.
I must also appologize for my brief rebuttal last night.
I was on my break at work last night and did not have time to find the relevant statute and copy it with my phone.

The requirement is still there, but you may have discovered that the penalty has been removed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

I don’t see a requirement to voluntarily show your LTC at a traffic stop..... only when “demanded” by the Officer. I have always had my documents ready to present to an Officer when He/She has approached my window. Therefore , no “ demand “ has ever been given.

MojaveMan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MojaveMan »

TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:52 am
C-dub wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:01 am
TexanVeteran wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 pm
montgomery wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:29 pm Why would you voluntarily show your CCW / LTC to a volunteer gate security person when it is not required to do so. Might as well open carry at that point. You are not required to disclose unless at a traffic stop with at Texas peace officer or upon direct request by a Texas peace officer. Otherwise, don't ask, don't tell.
You do not have to disclose at a traffic stop in Texas. The only thing you have to do is produce your carry permit, if requested, when open carrying.
This is so wrong!
Actually, it's not.

2. I did my research
3. Texas is not a disclosure state. It is a courtesy, yes, but not legally required at a traffic stop.
4. If you are open carrying, LEO's do have the right to ask you to show your LTC, and you must.

Actually, It is. I did look it up. I hope your LTC class didn't give you any misinformation regarding the law.
Texas Government Code Chapter 411.205, here:
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... GV.411.htm

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

Now, I have not been pulled over very often, but every single time I have, I have been asked to identify myself.

TexanVeteran
Posts in topic: 8

Post by TexanVeteran »

Maybe you should read my latest reply before attacking me.

MojaveMan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MojaveMan »

TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:31 pm Maybe you should read my latest reply before attacking me.
Hoping your LTC class didn't give you any bad advice is not an attack.
Neither is providing an actual link to the relevant law, and a quote to help provide specifics to others that might not be familiar with the issue.

TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:16 am
Papa_Tiger wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:33 am
TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:52 am Actually, it's not.

2. I did my research

If you have "done your research", please quote the relevant statutes that you used to come to your conclusions.

There are many here, including at least one person who has helped craft the LTC laws who would disagree with you about your statements.
My apologies; my research was apparently not deep enough. Y'all, my friends, are/were correct. The most recent (a few minutes ago) research I have done, says the law states you must (while carrying) show your LTC and drivers license when asked for identification. I sincerely apologize for my misinformation, and I will NOT let that happen again. Thank all of you for making me aware of this.
What does the last part of that say y'all? Gimme a break!

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

TexasVeteran: Welcome to the forums. I've learned more from the people on this site regarding state and federal laws regarding carry and self defense than I did in my class. It's a wonderful and invaluable resource.

In addition, I've met several members from this forum in person. Both at the NRA meeting in Dallas back in May this year, and at breakfasts we have in the DFW area and Houston area. If you're in the area of either of these and able to attend, I would encourage you to join us.

As for people correcting you after you have already posted a correction; some people only read the first unread post in a thread and then jump to the end. It's not the best thing to do, but that is more of a reflection on them, not you. Try not to take it personally.

The goal here is to make sure that we keep things factually accurate (i.e. citing specific laws) so that we are all better educated. With all of the laws on the books (firearms related and not), it's no surprise that many believe the typical LTC (especially the regulars here) are usually more versed in carry law than the typical LEO. It's no ding on LEO, just that there are so many laws that they have to keep track of, and the laws change every couple years (at least in Texas).

Once again, welcome to the forum and hopefully we get to see you around! :tiphat:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

rotor

Post by rotor »

TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:52 am 4. If you are open carrying, LEO's do have the right to ask you to show your LTC, and you must.

I know you have posted corrections but do you still think 4. is correct? I do not believe it is correct. Just because you open carry does not mean LEO can stop and ID you.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

I agree with Rotor.

Unless with good reason (I won't get into technical legal stuff) OCing isn't enough for LEO's to demand to see your papers...

If they do, some legal stuff may occur...not to the LEO's good.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

WTR wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:59 am I don’t see a requirement to voluntarily show your LTC at a traffic stop..... only when “demanded” by the Officer. I have always had my documents ready to present to an Officer when He/She has approached my window. Therefore , no “ demand “ has ever been given.
Fair observation. However, are you aware of anyone that has been stopped for violating some traffic infraction where the LEO did not request/demand ID?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

rotor wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:26 pm
TexanVeteran wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:52 am 4. If you are open carrying, LEO's do have the right to ask you to show your LTC, and you must.

I know you have posted corrections but do you still think 4. is correct? I do not believe it is correct. Just because you open carry does not mean LEO can stop and ID you.
Penal code 46.035

rotor

Post by rotor »

TexanVeteran wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:23 am

Penal code 46.035
What section says a LEO can ask for your LTC if open carrying? I think you need some additional training. Have you ever heard of Terry stop?

TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

rotor wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Penal code 46.035
What section says a LEO can ask for your LTC if open carrying? I think you need some additional training. Have you ever heard of Terry stop?
I hate the internet. I have finally found the actual Texas statute. It doesn't mention OC authorized requests by LEO at all. Thank you for pointing this out. The site I had used was guns to carry dot com. They cited the penal code that I stated. After your reply, I finally found the whole thing, and read the whole code. No mention either way. So, in re-response to your original question, no I do not think my original number for is correct.

rotor

Post by rotor »

TexanVeteran wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:59 pm
rotor wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Penal code 46.035
I hate the internet. I have finally found the actual Texas statute. It doesn't mention OC authorized requests by LEO at all. Thank you for pointing this out. The site I had used was guns to carry dot com. They cited the penal code that I stated. After your reply, I finally found the whole thing, and read the whole code. No mention either way. So, in re-response to your original question, no I do not think my original number for is correct.
There is no legal requirement for a citizen to even show ID to a LEO upon request unless there is some suspicion of illegality such as speeding. If you walk down the street open carrying, minding your own business, a LEO is NOT legally allowed to ask for your LTC, doesn't mean it won't happen though as if you voluntarily show it that's up to you.

TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

In addition, I've met several members from this forum in person. Both at the NRA meeting in Dallas back in May this year, and at breakfasts we have in the DFW area and Houston area. If you're in the area of either of these and able to attend, I would encourage you to join us.
I live in Houston and go to Dallas on a semi regular basis. Where on this forum do I found out about such events?

Return to “New to CHL?”