Talk with the kids

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Flyincowboy
Posts in topic: 2

Talk with the kids

Post by Flyincowboy »

Just got my licence in the mail today and had some errands to run after work. Put on my holster and went to town with my oldest. All went good got home after eating while putting the kids to bed my youngest 9 years old gave me a hug and felt the gun. Asked why I had my gun. I shared with him that now I have my license I will be have it on me most all the time and why I would. I then shared with him how important it is that no one else knows that I have it with me. He then said so it's our little secret. I have always taught my kids about guns, gun safety and how to use them I did not however until today think about making sure that they don't shout out in public "daddy has a gun" Ended up having this talk with all 3 children tonight.

C-dub

Re: Talk with the kids

Post by C-dub »

:thumbs2:

I began carrying around the house before my license arrived openly and concealed. My daughter was less than 1y at that time, so as far as she's concerned I've always carried around the house and everywhere else that I could. From the age of 2 or 3 she understood that it was our business and no one elses and as far as I know has never told anyone that we even have guns.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

C-dub wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:43 pm :thumbs2:

I began carrying around the house before my license arrived openly and concealed. My daughter was less than 1y at that time, so as far as she's concerned I've always carried around the house and everywhere else that I could. From the age of 2 or 3 she understood that it was our business and no one elses and as far as I know has never told anyone that we even have guns.
She has even come with you to breakfast with us.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My kids didn't know I CC'd until one day we were chatting in the kitchen and I grabbed the hem of my sweater and used it to clean my eyeglasses.

Oops :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Several years ago my son had just gotten his CHL and as I had suggested (for a change :mrgreen: ) he carried around the house while waiting on it to arrive. My grandson was about 6 years old at the time and had even gone shooting with us out on the family property from time to time. He had gun safety taught to him probably from the time he could walk. He also knew that I carried a gun as well.
Anyway, one day I was at their house helping my son work on his classic car when we heard my grandson and another boy yelling at each other. We went to the open garage door and looked out and the 2 boys were arguing over a baseball glove. About that time my grandson saw us in the door and yelled at the top of his lungs "Daddy, he won't give me back my glove. Shoot him. Just take out your gun and shoot him".
Needless to say, we both had a very long talk with him that continued until he was about 12.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

flechero

Post by flechero »

I've carried since long before I had a son... he never knew differently (if Dad has pants on, he has a gun on) so it was not a "new topic" to discuss. As he got older, I reinforced that my CC is hidden, just like my underwear- and we don't talk about underwear in public either. :lol:

Here is a great link for all parents on how to remove the mystery (and need to talk about it) from your gun- it's been great for us, in both removing his curiosity but also a chance to reinforce safety rules every time he asks to see it. Now we have even started discussing the merits of the 1911 trigger vs striker guns. :biggrinjester:

https://www.corneredcat.com/article/kid ... curiosity/

Good luck and enjoy the opportunity to teach your kid(s) about guns, safety and life in general.

Topic author
Flyincowboy

Post by Flyincowboy »

Great article and that is how I have always felt. Teach the safety let them, show them what it will do (hunting, it was alive now it's dead) and let them shoot. It's not the forbidden fruit that temptation overcomes. They know if they ask and act appropriately they can use them. Just had to tell them not to talk about me having it on me all the time.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I've carried since my youngest was 2. He's 10 now. Even before OC I carried openly in the house, since I have a habit of taking my dress shirts off as soon as I get home to avoid stains, etc. I never thought to ask him to keep quiet about it, and it's never been an issue.

The only issue I've ever had on that front was with my wife. On a recent trip she saw a sign at the hotel we were staying in which said "Guns are not permitted on these premises". Thinking that she was being helpful, she asked the check-in clerk whether they had a safe so her husband (me) wouldn't have to leave his gun in the car :banghead: . She may have received oral notice in response. Thankfully I was not with her at the time, so I did not receive any form of oral notice...

I had a chat with her about trusting me to know which signs are, and are not, enforceable.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I have tried to find the post that I talk about below, but the search function is just not up to the task. This is the funniest story I've ever read about young'uns and firearms:

Years ago on this forum, in the days of CHL only, someone with a young son told how he and his son were in line at a fast food place, along with a police officer. The son was looking over the cop and asking questions and naturally turned to the cop's gun. Before dad knew what was happening, son yanked up his dad's shirt shouting "My dad has one too!"

Dad was much relieved when the cop just burst out laughing. A long father-son talk ensued as well. ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ELB wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:00 am I have tried to find the post that I talk about below, but the search function is just not up to the task. This is the funniest story I've ever read about young'uns and firearms:

Years ago on this forum, in the days of CHL only, someone with a young son told how he and his son were in line at a fast food place, along with a police officer. The son was looking over the cop and asking questions and naturally turned to the cop's gun. Before dad knew what was happening, son yanked up his dad's shirt shouting "My dad has one too!"

Dad was much relieved when the cop just burst out laughing. A long father-son talk ensued as well. ;-)
:lol:

I don’t remember that one.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cs1021

Post by cs1021 »

I recently had a similar talk with my 5 year old. I got my LTC around 6 months ago and carry whenever possible. On Christmas we went over to my Dad's house for lunch with him, his fiance and a few of the fiance's family members whom I'd never met before so of course I don't know their feelings about guns in general. As we were standing there waiting to fix our plates my son came over and kind of leaned against me. In doing so he bumped his head on my Glock 32 in an appendix rig. I was hoping he wouldn't have really realized anything but no, he proceeded to say, "What's that?!" as he grabbed and pulled my shirt up. I quickly yanked it back down before anyone saw, but then he decides to announce rather loudly, "Daddy has his gun! Daddy has his gun!"

I don't know if anyone else really saw or noticed, and no one said anything, but needless to say I realized real quick that I never thought I'd be in a situation like that. I told my Dad, who carries also, about it after the fact and he chuckled a little and said it was no big deal even if they had noticed. However my immediate thought was, "Yeah, it was ok this time, but what if that happened while waiting at a restaurant, or Wally World, or anywhere else out in public?"

On the drive home my wife and I had to explain to our son why I carry a gun with me, and why I keep it hidden and that no one needs to know about it but us so "I can surprise the bad guy if they're trying to hurt us" :lol:

So don't worry, you're not alone. It happens. Kids are great though ain't they? :rolll

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

My grand daughter has gotten so used to it that she looks for the "the signs" when we are going into a place. If she sees one that might apply she says "Grampy, you may have to go back to the truck". :mrgreen:
N5PNZ

Return to “New to CHL?”