Hello all from Barbers Hill, Texas

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Meathead01
Posts in topic: 2

Hello all from Barbers Hill, Texas

Post by Meathead01 »

Hi y’all. Glad to finally be here. Born in Baytown,Texas 52 years ago and have never lived anywhere else. Don’t think I could ever leave this great state! Finally decided to quit bucking the system and obtain my LTC. Took the class April 6th in South Houston at the Marksman Shooting range and had a great class with a really great instructor. Anyway, just introducing myself and looking forward to learning from all the knowledge on here.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hello all from Barbers Hill, Texas

Post by Vol Texan »

Welcome to the forum, Meathead. I think you'll find a lot of great folks on here, an we look forward to your insights and questions as well!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Barbers Hill, one town I haven't heard of. Joe817, will be along soon to give us a complete history.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on getting your LTC. :tiphat:

Feel free to ask questions, or share any experiences you have while carrying.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Welcome! I graduated from Robert E Lee in 1972. We raised our boys in Chambers County. We lived in Beach City. Boys went to Barbers Hill. We have a lot of history there!

This is a great place.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Jusme wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:04 pm Barbers Hill, one town I haven't heard of. Joe817, will be along soon to give us a complete history.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on getting your LTC. :tiphat:

Feel free to ask questions, or share any experiences you have while carrying.
Me neither Jusme. :shock: Welcome to the forum Meathead! Gad to have you with us. :tiphat:

Here is what I could find on Barbers Hill, TX:

"MONT BELVIEU, TEXAS. Mont Belvieu is at the intersection of State Highway 146 and Farm Road 1942, slightly north of Interstate Highway 10 and thirty-two miles east of Houston on a salt dome in northwestern Chambers County. The area's first permanent settler was Amos Barber, who built the first home on the hill in 1849. The community that grew up near the Barber homestead was known as Barbers Hill. Seeking to avoid confusion with other offices with similar names, postal authorities suggested a change to Mont Belvieu. In 1890 the Mont Belvieu post office opened with Z. T. Winfree as postmaster. In 1920 the population was estimated at only twenty.

The first commercial production at the Barbers Hill oilfield had begun in 1918, and the Goose Creek and Dayton Railroad was completed through Mont Belvieu the following year. The townsite plat was filed in May 1922 by Marion, Amanda, J. W., and Daisy Williams. A cotton gin operated at Mont Belvieu from 1924 to 1935. The most important development was the discovery of more oil at greater depths during the late 1920s. Several Work Projects Administration projects were credited with helping the community weather the Great Depression, although a weekly newspaper, the Mont Belvieu Citizen, was closed after a brief run in 1932. By the mid-1930s thirty businesses served the growing oil town, which had an estimated 500 residents by the 1940s.

Mont Belvieu had incorporated by 1970, when it was credited with a population of 1,144. By 1980 the figure had increased to 1,730. The community was by then closely tied to the Houston-Baytown area. The growth of local industries had, however, proved a mixed blessing. A 1985 explosion at one of the plants threatened the entire salt dome, which had in recent years been used to store liquid propane gas, and led to a series of efforts by townspeople to force the petrochemical industries to buy out the homes in the immediate vicinity of their plants. By 1990 some 200 families had been bought out by a dozen petrochemical corporations. With the aid of these local industries the community was rebuilt two miles east of its 1985 location. Among the buildings at the new site were a city hall, seven new churches, and a public school. In 1990 the rebuilt community recorded 1,323 inhabitants. The population grew in 2000 to 2,324 residents."
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Welcome to the forum.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Meathead01:

Welcome to the forum sir. You should attend some of the Houston breakfasts in order to put some faces with the screen names. There is a thread on the forum that details the time and place for those gettogethers.

What firearms do you own? Do you have a preferred carry piece, or will you have multiple handguns in your rotation?

We can still chat, even if you prefer a .380. Yuk yuk. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

zeropistons

Post by zeropistons »

Welcome to the forum.
- Doug

Topic author
Meathead01
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Meathead01 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:07 pm Meathead01:

Welcome to the forum sir. You should attend some of the Houston breakfasts in order to put some faces with the screen names. There is a thread on the forum that details the time and place for those gettogethers.

What firearms do you own? Do you have a preferred carry piece, or will you have multiple handguns in your rotation?

We can still chat, even if you prefer a .380. Yuk yuk. :-)

SIA
Breakfasts sound great. Would enjoy that. EDC is a S&W Shield 9mm. Also have G27 and yes I have to admit....I do own a .380. Bought it 26 years ago for the wife to carry but she won’t. I thought it was great wedding gift, She did not, but hey, we’re still together! The .380 is a real piece of garbage though. Grendel P11, terrible.

JRG

Post by JRG »

Welcome to the forum.

I grew up in Dayton, TX, just a few miles from you.

Joe

Return to “New to CHL?”