New to Concealed Carry, have a few questions

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Terry
Posts in topic: 4

Re: New to Concealed Carry, have a few questions

Post by Terry »

Middle Age Russ wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:40 am
I dont know if I ever muster the courage to carry chambered tbh. Right now I carry off body because of work attire constraints (tucked in business casual). Definitely need a lot of practice.
If a gun is in its holster, there is so little chance of a discharge that it should pose no concern at all. The only concerns are the acts of holstering or drawing the firearm from the holster, and these can be mitigated by training, attention, process (whether you put the holster on and then the gun in the holster, or whether you holster the gun first then put the combination on) and, as some have suggested, mechanical safeties. I prefer no extra mechanical safety on the defensive firearm myself, but I understand why others have a different preference.

Carrying while in business casual attire is fairly easy -- as long as your shirts are not too fitted around the waist and your pants leave room for the gun/holster around the waist. Several companies make tuckable holsters to fit this need -- CompTac has a few, Crossbreed SuperTuck, Galco King Tuk, etc...

Training and practice are always a good idea for everyone.
Thanks for the advice. I can see how a holstered gun should not be a source of worry at all, especially if it's not chambered. But still it takes some getting used to... I got a LightTuck holster from Vedder and been trying to figure out the best position to carry with it.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

You can also purchase a SA/DA pistol which you could carry in DA mode ( thumb safety would be optional). Trigger pull for DA mode increases dramatically ( mine goes from 4 to 11 lbs). I believe this is how the LA Police Dept. use to carry their Beretta 92s.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

WTR wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:31 am You can also purchase a SA/DA pistol which you could carry in DA mode ( thumb safety would be optional). Trigger pull for DA mode increases dramatically ( mine goes from 4 to 11 lbs). I believe this is how the LA Police Dept. use to carry their Beretta 92s.
This is my preferred method of carrying. Also setting one's thumb on the hammer is reassuring while holstering.
My EDC is a Beretta Storm SubCompact. I occasionally carry a Ruger P95 and a Berretta P92, They are a bit heavy for me to EDC but they work the same way. There aren't many options these days for a traditional DA/SA although CZ has some nice options.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

Liberty wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:27 pm
WTR wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:31 am You can also purchase a SA/DA pistol which you could carry in DA mode ( thumb safety would be optional). Trigger pull for DA mode increases dramatically ( mine goes from 4 to 11 lbs). I believe this is how the LA Police Dept. use to carry their Beretta 92s.
This is my preferred method of carrying. Also setting one's thumb on the hammer is reassuring while holstering.
My EDC is a Beretta Storm SubCompact. I occasionally carry a Ruger P95 and a Berretta P92, They are a bit heavy for me to EDC but they work the same way. There aren't many options these days for a traditional DA/SA although CZ has some nice options.
Mine as well. I've had several DA/SA pistols over the years, and I prefer it to the SA semi-autos, or DAO semi-autos. My most recent acquisition is an EEA Sarsilmaz B6c(basically a CZ75c clone) and I love it. Got it on sale for $232.00 + tax. https://grabagun.com/sar-b6c-cmp-9mm-3-8-13rd-blk.html
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

What's going to happen if you are attacked and you pull your gun without a round being chambered?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

DynamicDan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:35 pm What's going to happen if you are attacked and you pull your gun without a round being chambered?
Probably nothing good. Go to YouTube Active Self Protection and search for round chambered.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2 ... +chambered

You may not be able to or may not have time to chamber a round. You may not have use of both hands because of injury or because you are busy with fending off the attacker or protecting someone. I know I can chamber a round one-handed, but is slower than with two hands. You may not have time to chamber a round because the attacker is already there. Review the Active Self Protection videos and see what you think.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Terry

Post by Terry »

joe817 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 pm
Mine as well. I've had several DA/SA pistols over the years, and I prefer it to the SA semi-autos, or DAO semi-autos. My most recent acquisition is an EEA Sarsilmaz B6c(basically a CZ75c clone) and I love it. Got it on sale for $232.00 + tax. https://grabagun.com/sar-b6c-cmp-9mm-3-8-13rd-blk.html

So basically the solution to my gun problem is to acquire another gun :fire

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Terry wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Basically, that is the solution to any problem.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

WTR wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:44 pm

:lol: :iagree:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

joe817 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:47 pm

As I posted earlier, my etc has a safety... I only use it to holster or unholster as needed... I think my Ruger only weighs like 17oz empty... One of the lightest 9mm's out there...

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Adding one of these helps me get more comfortable with reholstering my G19 AIWB.

YMMV, of course.

https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/produ ... rol-device
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Terry

Post by Terry »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:10 pm
joe817 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:47 pm

As I posted earlier, my etc has a safety... I only use it to holster or unholster as needed... I think my Ruger only weighs like 17oz empty... One of the lightest 9mm's out there...
This also sounds like a legitimate approach. Theres a lot of things to consider and I sure appreciate all the input you all give us!

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

oljames3 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:41 pm
DynamicDan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:35 pm What's going to happen if you are attacked and you pull your gun without a round being chambered?
Probably nothing good. Go to YouTube Active Self Protection and search for round chambered.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2 ... +chambered

You may not be able to or may not have time to chamber a round. You may not have use of both hands because of injury or because you are busy with fending off the attacker or protecting someone. I know I can chamber a round one-handed, but is slower than with two hands. You may not have time to chamber a round because the attacker is already there. Review the Active Self Protection videos and see what you think.
Exactly, that is why my carry gun is fully loaded and ready to shoot.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Not THE solution. Just the next step along the way. :mrgreen:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

Should, heaven forbid, the occasion arises where you need to defend you and yours, if you're not 'cocked and locked', you and your party will be dead before you can draw, rack the slide and fire. You might be dead already if you do not practice 'situational awareness'.

Good night and good luck.

Return to “New to CHL?”