Got the wife to the range!!

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Got the wife to the range!!

Post by dws1117 »

Well, I finally got her to go shooting with me. :D She seemed to have a good time. She had taken off of work to attend a diabetes class (diagnosed 2 weeks ago) with me.

After the class we went out to eat and then to the range. Since it was during the day on a week day it was perfect. We had the range to ourselves. I took a .22 pistol and my Springer 1911. Took some time to go over safety, function of the gun, sight alignment, and loading the magazines.

Her shooting was real good for a newbie. Assuming I can tak her into going more often, I know it will improve. Here groups were 5" - 7" at a distance of about 5 yards. She even listened real good about stance. No feet together, arched back, gun as far away as possible stance for her. She didn't even seems bothered when I shot the .45 in the next stall. Although I did wait to shoot until she was reloading her magazines.

It was a good day. Shooting is still something that she could take or leave. I don't think she is a future gun nut, but she did seem to enjoy herself. Heck, I even shot much beter than normal. I think because I was so happy that we were shooting together.

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

Glad to hear it. I'm still working on my wife but I think she's coming around. It's more about spending money on ammo and range fees than actually being bothered by shooting, if you can believe it!
Springfield XD 9mm Service

dutchman

Post by dutchman »

Guess that I am just lucky. :D My wife and I started shooting together in 1948. She was a complete newby, never having even held a firearm of any kind. She started out with a .22 rifle and gradually worked up to a 30-06. I was still in the USMC, and shooting to me was a way of life. Wife decided that it was either shoot with me, or lose me. It took only one trip with the .22 and she was ready to go with me, anytime.

She got into pistol shooting in the 1960's. Once again, the .22 was used as a teaching tool. She wore out a High Standard HDM Military. These days, she shoots a .45 1911 mostly. She carries a .380 Colt Government. We have a small outdoor range here behind the house and she makes better use of it than I. I've still not been able to conn her into learning to reload. When I start casting lead, she goes shopping. :?

Paul Powell
It seems that the older I get, the better I used to be.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Reloading for wives is the price husbands must pay! Think of it as baiting the hook.

Seriously I am very pleased to hear that another wife has started shooting with her husband. Shooting sports are very unique in that couples can either just enjoy plinking together or can compete equally. Not many sports like that - equestrian sports are another, guys. If I could have gotten my husband in those cute tight riding pants, oh well shooting is a lot of fun too.

Keep encouraging your wives. Shooting is fun AND useful. It is personal protection and one that I want more women to pursue.

longtooth

reloading = baiting

Post by longtooth »

I get to reload for the wife but my Mother really gets unhappy if I don't let her know when I am at the bench. She enjoys loading as much as shooting & I rarely get the chance to clean hers either. She won't let me mow her yard either. I do get to do the weed eating. Back to business. Both my ladies are really good at the range. Mom is 74 & a little slow but she hits what she shoots at out to the 15 yd mark. The wife is more than lethal at 25. Both shoot Sig 232's. Wouldn't trade thes 2 gals for nothing. Hop your wife follows suit.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “Ladies”