Taking my girlfriend shooting for the first time...

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Taking my girlfriend shooting for the first time...

Post by tacticool »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Many have observed that our girlfriends, spouses, or what have you are more apt to pay closer attention and learn from a third party, so if the not listeining part occurs there may still be an option to salvage the situation.
Other family members too, and it's not just shooting. Look at the friction when many parents teach their kids to drive. It's often better for a third party to teach because of the pre-existing dynamics in the relationship.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Divided Attention »

Recommendations requested earlier and someone suggested P238 - I love mine!

I also have a S&W M&P9C that I enjoy VERY much. I also have a S&W JG full size 9 that I use for IDPA. Needless to say I really enjoy shooting my M&P's!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
allinhtown

Post by allinhtown »

Thanks for the advice everyone! We ended up going to Marksman Indoor Range (only because we got sidetracked with other errands, and it got too late). They don't rent guns, so I taught her a few things, and let her shoot my .40 cal Sig P250. She wasn't awful, but I can tell she was shy, and a little nervous. We are definitely planning on going to a range where we can rent a few, and I definitely want her to take that womens only basic class at PSC. We looked at a Bersa .380, and I think it should be easier for her to shoot. Thanks all!

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Keep in mind, and this is just my PHO... smaller is not always easier. Some of the smaller guns are just not fun to shoot because they are so light they hurt. Personally I would rather shoot a 45 than a 40, simply from the recoil "feel". 40 seems sharper while 45 is heavier it doesn't seem as sharp. I don't know if that makes sense, it is just a perception.

I think if you will contact the instructor for the woman's class at PSC, they can arrange to loan or rent her a gun to try if you supply ammo. I am glad she was open to trying, and no knowing her, it may be easier for her to "relax and enjoy" shooting if you are not there. I know my competitive streak and the lack of a desire to seem "stupid or girly" in front of my hubby makes me more tense and nervous. I don't know why I feel this way, and as I get more comfortable with my arms (of the fire variety) this feeling lessens, and I am sure all you armchair psychiatrists can have a ball with this one. :mrgreen:, but the point is she might learn more and feel a little less "tense" if you are not there.

again... JMPHO
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teamless »

allinhtown wrote: We looked at a Bersa .380, and I think it should be easier for her to shoot
as
Divided Attention wrote: smaller is not always easier. Some of the smaller guns are just not fun to shoot because they are so light they hurt
stated, I would also not suggest a smaller (sized) weapon.

I would suggest, as has probably been stated earlier in this thread, to get a .22 and learn the basics, get rid of the jitters and understand shooting.
Then move back up to your .40 or a 9mm, or even possibly a .380.

I am a member of PSC and would be glad to take you and your G/F over there to shoot.
I have a couple of 9mms, a .22 Ruger and a new .380 (which I would not suggest for a new shooter due to the looooooong trigger on the bodyguard.

Let me know, evenings or weekends are good.
Evenings we can shoot until 8pm. I was there last night at 6pm, while it was hot, it was not near as hot as it was on Sunday morning at 9:30.

PM Me if interested and we can work out a time to meet
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

+2 on start with a .22.
Last year I took my 30 year old daughter to the range for what turned out to be the first time she had shot a handgun. I had several pistols that day

Ruger MkII .22LR
Seecamp .32
Sig P238 380
Ruger LCP .380
Star 9mm
1911 .45 ACP

Unfortunately the .22 would not work that day.
She shot a couple of the others and didn't want anymore due to recoil.
Luckily someone had a beat-up .22 revolver we borrowed, and she liked that OK.

Next time we went I packed a bunch of .22s, including a Henry lever gun.
She enjoyed those a lot.
I have a Smith K98 revolver and some target loads for her next step up, then probably a 9mm 1911

So let her have fun with a .22. She'll tell you when she wants to try something bigger.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Texas10X

Post by Texas10X »

I agree about getting someone new to guns used to them by starting with a .22. And be sure to include really good hearing protection and eye protection. Make the experience enjoyable.

You'll find opinions on guns vary, so be sure to let the decision process include her own opinions after she's tried different guns.
Last edited by Texas10X on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

woodsong

Post by woodsong »

My personal experience with sisters and nieces is that they prefer revolvers. Not the Airweights, but a nice medium frame (Smith K-Frame .38 special is perfect). Simple, no jams, nothing to rack, and very little recoil. They particularly like shooting it single action. Be wary if you start her on a lightweight "carry" type gun like a Ruger LCP or a Bodyguard.

They also like "pretty" .22's like a Ruger Mark III. They have to learn to rack the slide, but it's easy to do.

Definitely go over the 4 rules -- especially the "keep the finger off the trigger until ..." one. I also told them it was okay to go "Eek" once (usually after their first shot).

Expect them to take the first shot, then lower the weapon until it's pointing to the table or stand in front of them while their finger is still on the trigger in order to take a close look at their target. Gently point this out when it happens.

I always let my group shoot one of my 1911's before they quit -- by this time, they were used to the .38 special recoil. They were surprised to find the .45 recoil not that much different and it removed a lot of the fear of big guns (even though they still couldn't rack the slide)

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Woodsong - "Eek"? Really? I guess that just proves there are all kinds in the world. I can't imagine having Eeked my first time. But I was also into spiders and snakes - not your typical girl.

I'm really glad you take them out shooting and start them right. Sounds like you do a good job with them.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

YellowTJ

Post by YellowTJ »

Bulldog1911 wrote:My wife had never shot a gun before either. Really, didn't even want them in the house when we got married. I veto'd that right away.
Anywho, thanks to our neighbor and his wife(she loves to shoot) they convinced her it would be a good idea for her to learn, and get her CHL. I preached that to her for 10 years with no result, one chat with another female shooter and suddenly it's a good idea :banghead:

But I took her to the gun show and she held a lot of them. She fell in love with the sigP238. Got her one a few weeks later and she loves it. She has also shot my full size 9mm, but she really loves the sig. She's a small lady also. The recoil is very minute especially for a small frame .380 like that. Might have her try that one out if you can.

Here is a pic with some grips i ordered.
photo.gif
P.S. She'll be taking her class next month :anamatedbanana

Nice P238. I just got one this week and I also love it. I like the grips you put on the one you have. I got the diamond plate one.

Return to “Ladies”