What NOT to wear to the range

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What NOT to wear to the range

Post by TLynnHughes »

thatTexasLady wrote:Thanks T. Have a photo session set up with a hairstylist to takes some pictures and give ideas of different ways to fix your hair with a hat to prevent accidents and still look nice.

Thanks for the sunscreen idea. Also got some makeup hints from an instructor. Just a hint, for those ladies reading, mineral makeup (foundation) is safe but experts recommend no liquid foundations, as residue and chemicals can build up on your face in liquid foundation. They also recommend some type of portable facial wipe to clean the chemicals and residue off of your face and neck after shooting practice as well as a nail brush in your range bag so that you can scrub under your nails after practice as well.
Don't even get me started about what to put in a range bag. I'm probably in the minority as a female that prefers not to carry a purse, but some things in a range bag are just necessary and I'm not talking lip gloss. :lol:

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Topic author
thatTexasLady
Posts in topic: 7

Post by thatTexasLady »

LOL, I hear ya, I don't carry a purse either, but I have all kinds of things in my range bag (tp, granola bars, preparation H for bug bites, paper plates for cheap targets, multi-tool, flashlight, sharpie, dot stickers. etc, etc, etc). I have a list started for what needs to be in a range bag too, so if you want to help with that too, feel free to list it here or pm me.
~Lady
NRA Member

App Online: 5/31/11
CHL Class: 6/4/11
L-1 Fingerprints: 6/7/11
Package Mailed: 6/9/11
Package rec'd by DPS: 6/11/11
Background Under Review: 6/16/11
Manufacturing: 7/16/11
Mailed: 7/18/11
Plastic in hand: 7/21/11

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Divided Attention »

It may just be that I am not used to them, but I had acrylic nails for a short time around the holidays and found them absolutely impossible to work with on the range. Of course I wasn't very productive with them anywhere :mrgreen: YMMV as you may be more experienced with the tips than I....

Depending upon what type of activity you will be participating in at the range, pants with beltloops and a decent belt can be invaluable. I attend a defensive pistol class where we practice drills drawing from the holster and a decent belt is a must.

Ditto on hat and close fitting safety glasses. I have discovered the joy of underarmor under my shirt as even shirts I thought would be safe for the range have failed me and I have the scars to prove it! :shock:
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Speaking of eye protection, my recommendation is to either use frames that wrap around and cover the sides of the eye, or to install side-shields on straight-frame glasses. This is particularly important when shooting steel plates due to the likelihood of splashback, but I feel it's a good habit to get into all the time. With a brimmed hat or cap, and shooting glasses that cover the sides of the face, your eyes are pretty well protected from various range threats, be that flying brass, splashback, or little items spinning in unexpectedly from another shooting bay.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

apostate

Post by apostate »

Divided Attention wrote:Ditto on hat and close fitting safety glasses. I have discovered the joy of underarmor under my shirt as even shirts I thought would be safe for the range have failed me and I have the scars to prove it! :shock:
During a recent class, another student's brass got between my shirt collar and the back of my neck. Not fun.

In addition to open toed shoes, I would add high heels and "cute" shoes with minimal support to the "what not to wear" list. This is particularly true for outdoor ranges with uneven ground.

Regarding Skiprr's comment on eyewear, close-fitting wrap-around frames also helps keep dust and other airborne irritants out of the eyes.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

if it's an outdoor range....which 90% (more or less) are....sunscreen and water, lots!!!!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

seeker_two
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seeker_two »

SewTexas wrote:if it's an outdoor range....which 90% (more or less) are....sunscreen and water, lots!!!!
+110 degrees of heat and agreement on that.... :iagree:
Howdy y'all. Glad to be here.....

Opticsgoddess

Post by Opticsgoddess »

When I took my CHL there was a lady who wore a low v neck t-shirt! Need I say more!? OUCH!! :eek6

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

I would think that whether a woman or a man, many of the same clothing requirements would apply for safety purposes. Folks on here have hit on several good items. It is topics like this one that make this forum a great place to be a member of...hope you have a happy and safe time shooting.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I was going to make a couple of recommendations of what not to wear, but then I realized that I needed to concentrate on loftier things. So I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and stay out of everyone's way........especially my wife's. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

BTW, here's what can happen when shooting an AR from the bench with short sleeves on:

I was even using a velcro-attached brass-catcher, but I didn't have the bottom of the bag on the brass-catcher zipped closed. The piece of freshly fired brass rolled right out of the bottom of the bag onto the bench, and I unknowingly laid my arm across it when it was still obviously burning hot. It raised a blister on part f it. This picture was taken a day or two later. I bore that mark on my arm for the better part of a month before it healed from the skin peeling off, and the scar that it left took another month or two to fade away after that.

I don't recommend it. A long sleeve would have easily prevented the burn, but it was a hot day. So even when you think you're dressed appropriately, you can still pick up a boo-boo here or there.

Also BTW....that was the second time I did that to myself with an AR case. So I'm kinda dumb that way.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Hoop ear rings, in fact any ear rings other than simple studs can be painful under ear muffs.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
thatTexasLady

Post by thatTexasLady »

What NOT to Wear to the range is finally up on the blog! http://thattexaslady.blogspot.com/2011/ ... range.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Lady
NRA Member

Package rec'd by DPS: 6/11/11
Background Under Review: 6/16/11
Manufacturing: 7/16/11
Mailed: 7/18/11
Plastic in hand: 7/21/11

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TLynnHughes »

thatTexasLady wrote:What NOT to Wear to the range is finally up on the blog! http://thattexaslady.blogspot.com/2011/ ... range.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw the post on your blog! Great stuff there, Lady!!

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Topic author
thatTexasLady

Post by thatTexasLady »

Thanks T. !
~Lady
NRA Member