Ladies' holster options - requesting pictures

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

xdfanatic
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ladies' holster options - requesting pictures

Post by xdfanatic »

Wow custom jeans... Maybe you can have some with a holster sewn in them? I don't know how that would work but just a thought. My fiance is having trouble as well finding something suitable as well. When I read your original post about how you wanted something that kept your weapon close it reminded me of what she said to the same effect. Good luck in your search and if we find something I will be sure to post.
Xd
OIF OEF Veteran
SA XD .45 Service, SA XD .40 SC, SA XD .45 Tactical Custom, S & W 22A, Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500A, Remington 870 Super Mag,Colt AR-15 M4 setup

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Post by A-R »

Haven't had my eyes on this thread in a while, but last night while looking for something else on YouTube I stumbled across the videos that UpTheIrons posted here back in October from "faliaphotography". I had the same "eureka" moment he had. I came back to this thread to post her vids; glad to see I was beaten to it. But did want to additionally post this particular video because it seems especially good as a starting point for discussion of holster/carry issues and options specific to women:

[youtube][/youtube]

By the way, seeing how huge that little LCR looks on her tiny frame I now have a newfound respect when small-statured folks (male or female) complain of having difficulty concealing. It's a totally different type of problem than what us big ol' boys experience. But it is an issue that must be overcome with some creativity and multiple available carry methods.

:tiphat: a big tip of the hat to all of the ladies who make the effort to carry on body daily. I yet again have even more newfound respect for the trial and error you go through to do so.

When she's old enough (at least 16 more years to go unless the 18-year-olds in Lubbock case prevail), I hope to use these videos and other similar info to counsel my daughter if/when she decides to get a CHL. I hope she does, and I pray that by then she'll be able to carry to college and at her jobs post-college.

A-R

Post by A-R »

I know links to her vids have already been posted in this thread, but I found this particular video truly exceptional for discussing an issue I hadn't even thought about before (and I have young kids and have carried them as infants while carrying on my hip) - again, it's different for women (my wife doesn't carry, so I just don't think of such things).

[youtube][/youtube]

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

austinrealtor wrote:Haven't had my eyes on this thread in a while, but last night while looking for something else on YouTube I stumbled across the videos that UpTheIrons posted here back in October from "faliaphotography". I had the same "eureka" moment he had. I came back to this thread to post her vids; glad to see I was beaten to it.
Thanks for the 'thinking alike' kudos! :tiphat: This was a big thing for my wife, too, and I've got a Supertuck on order for her SR9c based on this series of videos. She's not as small-statured as Sonja, but the videos were a great frame of reference for her.

My daughter is 10 now, and I hope she'll be able to start carrying in 8 years, too, should she so desire. These videos will be great teaching moments for her, too.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

duke

Post by duke »

I was wondering if there are any "plus size" ladies out there and how they carry. I'm a new CHL carrier and would appreciate your help.

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

Well I am not truely plus sized--except on top (I am a texan as as they say everything is bigger in TX). But I am pregnant and therefore round :lol: Though I have not gotten this holster yet--hope to soon--this carry is the only one that works to keep the gun hidden, away from children, and accessible--right noe I am using a modified IWB holster.

http://www.flashbangholster.com/Flashba ... lcome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

duke

Post by duke »

Thanks, I will look it up. In the meantime. How is you IWB modified?

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

I took off the clip--I like it's design better than the pocket holster's I saw so I just took a stitch ripper and took off the clip to the pants.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

A-R wrote:Haven't had my eyes on this thread in a while, but last night while looking for something else on YouTube I stumbled across the videos that UpTheIrons posted here back in October from "faliaphotography". I had the same "eureka" moment he had. I came back to this thread to post her vids; glad to see I was beaten to it. But did want to additionally post this particular video because it seems especially good as a starting point for discussion of holster/carry issues and options specific to women:

[youtube][/youtube]

By the way, seeing how huge that little LCR looks on her tiny frame I now have a newfound respect when small-statured folks (male or female) complain of having difficulty concealing. It's a totally different type of problem than what us big ol' boys experience. But it is an issue that must be overcome with some creativity and multiple available carry methods.

:tiphat: a big tip of the hat to all of the ladies who make the effort to carry on body daily. I yet again have even more newfound respect for the trial and error you go through to do so.

When she's old enough (at least 16 more years to go unless the 18-year-olds in Lubbock case prevail), I hope to use these videos and other similar info to counsel my daughter if/when she decides to get a CHL. I hope she does, and I pray that by then she'll be able to carry to college and at her jobs post-college.
I got permission from this lady to use her videos at this year's TexasCHLforum Day at PSC. I've also asked if she would be interested in doing a seminar on this topic, but I haven't heard back. I think the ladies would enjoy her doing a seminar on this issue.

Chas.

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I got permission from this lady to use her videos at this year's TexasCHLforum Day at PSC. I've also asked if she would be interested in doing a seminar on this topic, but I haven't heard back. I think the ladies would enjoy her doing a seminar on this issue.

Chas.
Charles,

I learned so much when Compvest did the ladies holster show and tell two years ago. It was great to be able to try them on and see how they actually fit before dropping the cash to buy them. I never thought an IWB would work for me because of my frame. After trying on an IWB at the forum day seminar, I was amazed at how they can "disappear" if you put them in the right place.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

I want to note that if you are using a pocket holster in a bra you should know that re holstering is not an easy option. I have to take out the entire holster, put the gun back in it, and then replace the holster. Really I would not even try it any other way the weapon tends to get tangled up. I am not worried about that though, if I have to draw in a God forbid situation I am not going to be worried about re holstering quickly. Still have not heard back from flash bang holsters :(. So I guess I will have to stick with the modified IWB for a while.

bluejay71

Post by bluejay71 »

Hoi Polloi et al,
I am built a lot like you. I'm currently wearing a Comp-Tac IWB with my M&P9c and finding that, while the holster seems to conform to the small of my back, the butt of the gun tilts out and my under shirt keeps going between the butt and my back causing the shirt to ride up and not only print, but expose the gun. This keeps happening with every shirt I've tried this week. I'm just wearing a standard, stiff western belt. Will a contour belt make a difference? I'm really hoping to find a way to pull the gun closer to my back or I'll never be able to leave the house with this on!

Thanks in advance for the input of all!

bluejay
CHL since August 2012

Mr.ViperBoa

Post by Mr.ViperBoa »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Hoi Polloi, the way you're holding the gun in your picture above suggests that a holster of the "SOB" (small of back) variety may be the kind of thing to suit you. They tend to be (but not always ) OWB, but they are around behind where they are well concealed but easily accessible.

Here is a picture of a slender framed woman, from behind, with a Desantis OWB SOB holster. Her pistol is dimensionally larger than the PT111 you're holding in your picture, so the corresponding holster would be smaller (and flatter)....

Here's a galco version of the same idea:

And lastly, here is an IWB version of an SOB holster from D.M. Bullard:

The D.M. Bullard holster has the advantage of having a slot for an extra magazine. Of course, all of these are available for a number of different pistol brands/models/sizes, and most reputable manufacturers offer some kind of SOB holster, so you would have to do some research, but this might be a viable alternative to consider.

My last piece of advice, for what it's worth, is to build your carry method around your gun choice, and not the other way around. Pick the gun first, for its various virtues that matter to you (i.e. the best combination of weight, caliber, size, and capacity that makes sense to you), and then pick the means to carry it. Since there are lots of different carry options for almost every kind of pistol made, I think you'll find this approach less limiting without decreasing your protection options.

OTH, the gun you carry with you beats the one you left at home.
I dont particularly care for this one. Wouldnt you sweep your own side with a loaded weapon when you draw?
Christian/Family man
Veteran
CHL Instructor
http://www.texaschlsolutions.com/

Mr.ViperBoa

Post by Mr.ViperBoa »

The video by faliaphotography is awesome. She really does give a lot of insight for women. :thumbs2:
Christian/Family man
Veteran
CHL Instructor
http://www.texaschlsolutions.com/

bluejay71

Post by bluejay71 »

I think I might have erred in my terminology. I've got my holster at about 4 o'clock, and the leather of the holster conforms well to the curve of my back (rather than SOB). I asked DH to have a look and he thought it was riding high. I adjusted it almost to the lowest position and that helps. The handle stays a little closer to my skin. Wondering if a contour belt will help even more. In addition, I need to experiment with a heavier, longer cover garment...
CHL since August 2012

Return to “Ladies”