Kel-Tec P-11 ouch

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
seniorshooteress
Posts in topic: 2

Kel-Tec P-11 ouch

Post by seniorshooteress »

I just recently purchased a Kel-Tec P-11 (9mm) cause it was small and I thought, (Yes THOUGHT) when I get my CHL that it would be my carry. Well, let me tell ya - I had one heck of a time pulling the trigger (9lb pull???) and after I had shot 20 rounds the upper part of my thumb that was at the top of the grip had a huge knot and what looks to be the beginning of a good sized blister. Needless to say with the problem I was having just pulling the trigger my accuracy was nil. I went to the nearest gun store and asked "can we fix this trigger so it isn't so hard to pull"? The answer I got was NO. I am sure the reason for the sore top of the thumb was due to the fact I was gripping the gun so hard trying to pull the trigger. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can actually shot this gun without tearing my thumb out of its socket and Really, can I not get the trigger adjusted to make a litter pull? As I sit here rubbing the upper thumb knuckle. By the way the slide wasn't hitting my thumb knuckle. Has anyone else had this experience with a Kel-Tec P11?
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

Napier

Re: Kel-Tec P-11 ouch

Post by Napier »

No experience with PF-11, but don't be tempted to scale down to a PF-9, which I do know. Same problems. Its only virtue is that it is the lightest 9.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Mrs. Oldgringo sold her P3-AT, not because it was light and carried well; she sold it because it was so hard to shoot.

dtalley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dtalley »

I have both a P11 and a P3AT and don't have any problems shooting them. They are not range guns however. There is a website KTOG.org that has some good info on KelTec pistols. I shoot 50 rounds through each ever other month or so but that is about it.
NRA Life
TSRA
TX CHL

MoJo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MoJo »

P11 have a hard stacking trigger pull it can be improved some by the "fluff 'n buff" described on the kel tec owners site. You will never get one to have a trigger as good as a Glock or M&P. Kel Tecs are rugged little guns that work pretty well but are hard to shoot. I would suggest you trade the Kel Tec on a M&Pc, XDsc or a Glock 26 any of these pistols are about the same size as the Kel Tec P11 but of higher quality and easier shootability.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

I'll swallow my pride and admit that my wife can out-shoot me with a wheel gun any day of the week. When I shoot my semi-auto I do "alright" (I qualified for the CHL at least :lol: ).
But with a double action only revolver she can shoot 2 inch groups at 25 feet whereas I can hardly hit the black on the target.
That said, she has shot that gun a lot more than I have and that's got to have something to do with the difference. Well, that's what I'm gonna keep telling myself anyway.
There's been plenty of times I've come home with blisters/hands hurting from various guns so your not alone on that.
I'm almost afraid to post this next suggestion - but for you...
If you want to build up your trigger finger muscles try wearing a glove next time. Not that I ever tried anything like that myself of course, I just read about it in one of the gun magazines. I think it was Cosmo :shock: .

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Don't know if it will help any but i bought my wife a can of racquet balls. So while she is just sitting around watching tv she sqeezes one so as to help build up finger strength and grip. Cost about 3 or 4 dollars at walmart. Even helps out pulling the slide back on her XD40.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

seniorshooteress , I have to agree with MoJo on that. I hate to say it, but the P-11 cannot be modified to suit your needs. It's simply the wrong handgun for you for what ever the reason.

Trade it in, and get something more suitable. MoJo made some fine suggestions. But there are a LOT more options out there for you in the same size gun. Here's a pretty comprehensive listing that I refer to all the time when I'm daydreaming. :lol:

http://www.best9mm.com/compact9mm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently(and my taste might change overnight depending how I sleep, or how much I've eaten, lol) out of the list of 23 listed, the Beretta PX4 Sub-Compact, Glock G26 Compact, S&W 908, Springfield XD Subcompact, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro, and the Taurus PT709 Slim are the one's I'd seriously consider if I were in the market. And at this hour(looks at watch) the Beretta PX4 Storm Sub-Compact is leading the pack.

In the case of price, there is no issue. Other than the length of time required to purchase the right gun for you. All other consideration are irrelevant. You are carrying a life saving instrument.....your carry piece. The cost is worth it. That's not to say buy the most expensive thing out there....just choose carefully, and spend wisely.

My $0.02 worth. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

My suggestion is to let the blister heal and then sit comfortably at home and dry fire. If you decide to keep the gun dry firing is a great way to build trigger finger strength and the callouses needed for you to shoot this gun. Without seeing your grip I can't tell if a grip change will help.

My other suggestion is that if you decide to get something different find one and shoot it first. Good places to find guns to try are indoor shooting ranges that offer rental guns and shooting classes that give you an opportunity to try fellow students guns (with their permission of course).
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Napier

Post by Napier »

Concur with CompVest. If you fire a couple of mags twice a week you will develop permanent thumb knuckle scar tissue. Mine is all crusty and gnarled, and I am proud of it. If you go to the range I go to, when they see a shooter with a bandage on that knuckle, they smirk and declaim loudly for all to hear "Another PF-9 owner!"

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

joe817 wrote:seniorshooteress , I have to agree with MoJo on that. I hate to say it, but the P-11 cannot be modified to suit your needs. It's simply the wrong handgun for you for what ever the reason.

Trade it in, and get something more suitable. MoJo made some fine suggestions. But there are a LOT more options out there for you in the same size gun. Here's a pretty comprehensive listing that I refer to all the time when I'm daydreaming. :lol:

http://www.best9mm.com/compact9mm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently(and my taste might change overnight depending how I sleep, or how much I've eaten, lol) out of the list of 23 listed, the Beretta PX4 Sub-Compact, Glock G26 Compact, S&W 908, Springfield XD Subcompact, Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro, and the Taurus PT709 Slim are the one's I'd seriously consider if I were in the market. And at this hour(looks at watch) the Beretta PX4 Storm Sub-Compact is leading the pack.

In the case of price, there is no issue. Other than the length of time required to purchase the right gun for you. All other consideration are irrelevant. You are carrying a life saving instrument.....your carry piece. The cost is worth it. That's not to say buy the most expensive thing out there....just choose carefully, and spend wisely.

My $0.02 worth. :tiphat:
I'd suggest adding the Kahr PM9 to the above list. It's a truly fine very concealable 9mm with a trigger pull that's easy to manage. It costs a little more than some of the others, but if shootability and concealability are both important, it delivers. My daughter wouldn't have anything else after she tried my PM40, and she's thrilled with the PM9.

Here's a review that might be of interest.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

The P-11 is going back to where I bought it and hopefully I can trade it for a Glock 26. If not I will just bit the bullet and get half or less, for what I paid for it a couple days ago. Don't want any permanent scarring from my guns, thank you :lol:: I have a Kel-Tec P32 and it isn't nearly as hard on my hand and the trigger I can easily pull. I just didn't feel at all comfortable with that P-11 and don't think any amount of practice would make our relationship any better. I tried again today and felt like tossing the thing in the nearest ditch. Cooler heads prevailed and "trade in" were the words of the day. My hubs tried shooting it as well and he said it wasn't at all accurate so now I don't feel so bad. He wore gloves and it was even hard for him. Too bad to, cause it was just the size that I was wanting for carry. Sigh.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The Glock 26 and the P11 are, for all intents and purposes, the same size the differences in size are in fractions of inches. I think you'll be a LOT happier with the Glock.
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

I just sold my PF-9...no experience with the PF-11.
I will say, the trigger pull didn't bother me but the recoil did. I thought I could take it; while my hands didn't ever hurt or anything, I kept limp-wristing the gun a few shots in to each magazine which caused ejection problems. Not desirable in a carry gun. I'm looking at a Kimber 1911 now. :)

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

randomoutburst wrote:I just sold my PF-9...no experience with the PF-11.
I will say, the trigger pull didn't bother me but the recoil did. I thought I could take it; while my hands didn't ever hurt or anything, I kept limp-wristing the gun a few shots in to each magazine which caused ejection problems. Not desirable in a carry gun. I'm looking at a Kimber 1911 now. :)
Limp wristing is a problem with 1911 pistols as well, all semi-automatic pistols are susceptible to limp wrist to some extent.
George Mason

Return to “Ladies”