How to get my wife to get a CHL

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

LarryH
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to get my wife to get a CHL

Post by LarryH »

Now all you have to do is make sure she picks a CHL instructor who doesn't undo all that good. Some of the "macho men" we've heard about on the forum could completely discourage her.

Fortunately, there are some eminently qualified lady instructors (Crossfire and CompVest come to mind, but I'm sure there are others) and many guy instructors who know how to "behave" in the presence of women.

Topic author
jecsd1
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jecsd1 »

I never thought if that. You're right. I need to choose an instructor carefully

ChattyKat

Post by ChattyKat »

My background and attitude about guns is similar to your wife's (although I am much older), and earlier this month I took the CHL class and applied for a license. What inspired me to pursue this process is that my husband recently obtained his license, and he relayed some of the stories his instructor told in the class, which sparked my interest. Plus I am unfamiliar with guns, and the process has taken me outside my comfort zone (which has been satisfying). One impressive thing about the class was its emphasis on de-escalation and conflict resolution. I hope your wife will be glad she attended the class, too.

-Kat

jdlott74

Post by jdlott74 »

I used to be one of those women like your wife My husband was always around, I thought. WHY do I need to carry? I don't go places that I feel like I need to carry.

My turnaround was going to a self-defense class, which BTW did not teach CRAP about handguns. All it was teaching was the draw attention to yourself, do something to get away, and RUN. I'm a country girl and country girls don't run from anything. My dad was former Army, I lived in the country all my life and had an appreciation for guns, but never really shot them but my dad had them in the house.

My husband was in the military when we met, safe neighborhood and area, and was of course a good marksman because he was Marine Corps. He and his best friend were also armorers in the military. We went to the ranges and I enjoyed it. He tried for YEARS to get me to get my CHL, ever since we've been married (it's been 9 yrs). he preached and preached and basically tried like you to brow beat me into getting on and carrying because like you he said he couldn't be there all the time and protect me, now us (now me and my daughter). After taking that self-defense class I realized that running isn't going to cut it. With him being in school 3 nights a week, not getting home until 10 at night, working 10-12 hr days on the weekends (sat and sun), my DD and I were at home a lot without him. I had to do something to protect both of us.

Granted I will never be the gun enthusiasts that he and his best friend are, BUT at least I have my CHL, can and will use it if I have to and know I'm protected.

Don't push her, it's going to push her further away from it and she won't do it until she's good and ready.
My CHL Application
10/23/2010 -- CHL class
10/25/2010 - Quals and Fingerprinting Done
11/3/2010 -- Application mailed to DPS
11/9/2010 -- Received at DPS
12/18/2010 -- Plastic in hand

salonette

Post by salonette »

jdlott74 wrote:I used to be one of those women like your wife My husband was always around, I thought. WHY do I need to carry? I don't go places that I feel like I need to carry.

My turnaround was going to a self-defense class, which BTW did not teach CRAP about handguns. All it was teaching was the draw attention to yourself, do something to get away, and RUN. I'm a country girl and country girls don't run from anything. My dad was former Army, I lived in the country all my life and had an appreciation for guns, but never really shot them but my dad had them in the house.

My husband was in the military when we met, safe neighborhood and area, and was of course a good marksman because he was Marine Corps. He and his best friend were also armorers in the military. We went to the ranges and I enjoyed it. He tried for YEARS to get me to get my CHL, ever since we've been married (it's been 9 yrs). he preached and preached and basically tried like you to brow beat me into getting on and carrying because like you he said he couldn't be there all the time and protect me, now us (now me and my daughter). After taking that self-defense class I realized that running isn't going to cut it. With him being in school 3 nights a week, not getting home until 10 at night, working 10-12 hr days on the weekends (sat and sun), my DD and I were at home a lot without him. I had to do something to protect both of us.

Granted I will never be the gun enthusiasts that he and his best friend are, BUT at least I have my CHL, can and will use it if I have to and know I'm protected.

Don't push her, it's going to push her further away from it and she won't do it until she's good and ready.
:iagree:

Women have to make their own decision to carry. I am retired military (Go Army!) and I personally believe that given the "society" that we live in, we need to carry. Please let your wife make the decision.
Salonette
10/16/10 CHL Course Completed
10/18/10 App Mailed
10/20/10 App Received
10/30/10 Information put in DPS system
11/18/10 - Plastic Mailed
11/19/10 - Plastic Received[/i][/color]

Topic author
jecsd1
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jecsd1 »

Thanks for all the encouragement. I never expected this thread to hit 3 pages. As I posted a while back, she came to me not long ago and said that she decided it's a good idea to get one, but made a point to tell me that she would only carry when I wasn't around. I know thats not ideal but I can live with that for now.

Return to “Ladies”