Women and Hunting - Oprah magazine

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

speedsix
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Women and Hunting - Oprah magazine

Post by speedsix »

...I finally read this...in spite of Oprah...and it's really well written in a touchy-feely kinda way...the author's neat...my favorite line (when read in context) was: ... I looked up to see a cow in a nearby field, her big eyes watching. And I felt an overwhelming, almost sleepy sense of complete relief...."
...considering the turkey there on the ground...I'll bet the cow did, too...

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My reformative logic went like this: For every turkey wrap or club sandwich I'd ever eaten, something had been killed for my benefit—I'd just never done the killing myself. The deer hunt invitation seemed an opportunity, a challenge even, to reclaim my place in the food chain by assuming responsibility for the meat on my plate.
I always try to somehow commemorate the taking of a life, but I have yet to come up with the right words. The ones that move through my head are usually I'm sorry and, finally, thank you, and that's how my sort-of prayer went now. I looked up to see a cow in a nearby field, her big eyes watching.
I wondered if I would ever get over my ambivalence about killing—and whether I wanted to. Maybe it should be hard, and should change me a little bit each time. I can still feel the weight of the deer's big head. I can still see the antelope's rough face at my feet. I can still hear the turkey's wings slapping the snow. And I value those moments as some of the most authentic of my life.

I looked at the [wish]bone. We'd break it in the morning, probably my sister and I. As if my bird hadn't provided enough, it would also grant us a wish.
... That was my first-ever visit to Oprah.com ... Pretty good so far... :thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

There are some nut jobs posting comments to that article, but I am genuinely surprised that Oprah has a "pro-hunting" article in her magazine.

Didn't see that one coming.
Never pet a burning dog...

Kahrry
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kahrry »

Texas Size 11 wrote:There are some nut jobs posting comments to that article, but I am genuinely surprised that Oprah has a "pro-hunting" article in her magazine.

Didn't see that one coming.
she is from the south right?
Kahr CW9
Springfield XD40 sub-compact

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

she's from Chicago, I thought. Least that's where...

her...

:oops:
show...

was filmed.
uh, why do I know that? :banghead:

and I was gonna give Andy a hard time for looking at The O's website! :biggrinjester:
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Kahrry
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kahrry »

DoubleJ wrote:she's from Chicago, I thought. Least that's where...

her...

:oops:
show...

was filmed.
uh, why do I know that? :banghead:

and I was gonna give Andy a hard time for looking at The O's website! :biggrinjester:
hook, line and sinker!!!!
Kahr CW9
Springfield XD40 sub-compact

Return to “Ladies”